SkyscraperCity banner

2441 - 2460 of 28247 Posts

·
Registered
18,070 Posts
Actually Apple did move to North Marry (part of IS&T) moved from infinity loop.

It has to be some huge company 1 million sq.ft is really big. I don't know but thing is that when Apple 'expanded' or moved to marry half employees did know for that couple months in advance. I think that would be also case with this big movement. It has to be some other company.

What about SAP? They converted HP Pavilion to SAP Center.
The number of Apple people on Mary is tiny; maybe a few hundred. Infinite Loop and surrounding has many thousands. Over the years, Apple has leased many additional buildings surrounding Infinite Loop. Campus 2 will have another 6-8000 or so when done. Apple may very well move out of some leased buildings at that time.

No one will be moving into the Brokaw buildings for a couple of years. If it is Dell, I suppose that manufacturing will stay in Texas and administration, design and new technologies will move to SJ. I doubt that people have been informed, but management must have a pretty good idea by now that someone is moving. The people I know at Dell say they don't know, which is what I would have expected.

SAP is certainly possible. But it seems unlikely to move that many people to the Valley since typically only top level design people are in the US (the rest are in Asia, etc., where salaries are lower).

Amazon is also possible, although the rumor is that the new company is a company with a HQ in the Valley but nothing in SJ. I'm not sure what the several thousand employees in SJ would do if it is not a HQ (and I doubt that Amazon will move it's HQ out of Seattle).

·
Registered
18,070 Posts
Crazy idea of the day: San Jose has been rightfully spending so much time and effort on attracting a Major League Baseball team to downtown San Jose to revitalize the area. However, there must be another way to revitalize San Jose as the center of the modern tech boom with resources San Jose already has strong influence over.

In principle, an iconic building would be nice. But I think the project shown might be more interesting in the short-term than as a long-term presence. In any event, I'm not sure that it revitalizes downtown much beyond what is already there.

On the other hand, a baseball team in a stadium paid for by the team seems to be an almost certain way of attracting 2.5M people to the city center every year while giving greater use to facilities and parking that lie dormant much of the year. I agree it has been much more time and effort than was expected.

·
Registered
473 Posts
In principle, an iconic building would be nice. But I think the project shown might be more interesting in the short-term than as a long-term presence. In any event, I'm not sure that it revitalizes downtown much beyond what is already there.

On the other hand, a baseball team in a stadium paid for by the team seems to be an almost certain way of attracting 2.5M people to the city center every year while giving greater use to facilities and parking that lie dormant much of the year. I agree it has been much more time and effort than was expected.
There is chatter going around that downtown San Jose's SAP Center will lose a ton of events to the opening of the new 49er's stadium in Santa Clara. Having less concerts like Jay-Z, Justin Timberfake, or One Direction, will hurt restaurants in the area. It will also decrease the amount of tax revenue San Jose collects off of purchases. Thus, hurting our police officers, teachers, firefighters and all other government workers, or those who are poor and rely on government services.

So San Jose is in early stages, from what I hear, of trying to prevent this from happening. Giving the stadium a facelift while adding more seats will get more people downtown, more bodies into San Jose's restaurants and more tax revenue to pump up our government services we all use. I feel this is something we can easily do to strengthen our city as we wait for MLB to make an official announcement regarding the A's.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There is chatter going around that downtown San Jose's SAP Center will lose a ton of events to the opening of the new 49er's stadium in Santa Clara. Having less concerts like Jay-Z, Justin Timberfake, or One Direction, will hurt restaurants in the area. It will also decrease the amount of tax revenue San Jose collects off of purchases. Thus, hurting our police officers, teachers, firefighters and all other government workers, or those who are poor and rely on government services.

So San Jose is in early stages, from what I hear, of trying to prevent this from happening. Giving the stadium a facelift while adding more seats will get more people downtown, more bodies into San Jose's restaurants and more tax revenue to pump up our government services we all use. I feel this is something we can easily do to strengthen our city as we wait for MLB to make an official announcement regarding the A's.
I don't think it will lose a ton of events. The Tank is geared more towards intimate, small-scale, indoor events (such as concerts, UFC cards, circus shows, community events, college basketball games, etc) so I think it will be fine.

The 9ers stadium is geared more towards large-scale events. We don't really have such a place in the South Bay (besides Stanford Stadium) so I think having the 9ers stadium would be a benefit for us. If anything, Shoreline Amphitheatre would be more worried about the stadium than The Tank.

Honestly, The Tank should be more worried about the Quakes Stadium. Too bad Newhall folks killed off the Quakes Stadium from hosting concerts, or else Shoreline would REALLY be sh!tting bricks!

Definitely agree with ya on a facelift and adding more seats to The Tank, though. Gotta be ready for whenever Pera decides to bring the Grizzlies to his hometown :lol:

·
Downtown San Jose
1,417 Posts
Maybe it's a Yahoo-Alibaba combo? They're both flush with money and Yahoo has been on a recent acquisitions binge. And maybe Alibaba is looking to expand into the lucrative US market now that it's about to be listed here.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Cool pics of downtown (from Instagram):

I don't think it will lose a ton of events. The Tank is geared more towards intimate, small-scale, indoor events (such as concerts, UFC cards, circus shows, community events, college basketball games, etc) so I think it will be fine.

The 9ers stadium is geared more towards large-scale events. We don't really have such a place in the South Bay (besides Stanford Stadium) so I think having the 9ers stadium would be a benefit for us. If anything, Shoreline Amphitheatre would be more worried about the stadium than The Tank.
This.

·
Registered
18,070 Posts

EDIT: Sorry, I did not read Bobby_Guz_Man's post before responding. He hits all the main points very nicely and even the NBA, which I decided not to talk about.

Sounds like a weak proposal to me. First, the kinds of shows that want 70k open air seats are not going to look at facilities with 17k covered seats. Check Anaheim, where this issue has never come up; or LA where Staples and Farmer's would have been right next to each other. I never heard a word about stealing each other's business in either case.

Of course, upgrades in general are always desirable. But I don't see that SAP has any real rivals that could steal business from them given the distance to Oracle or the proposed Warriors Arena in SF. A specific plan to attract NEW business that would not come to SAP without upgrades is a different story.

Finally, when cities start trying to "beggar" their neighbors by taking business away from a location about 4 miles away, you are really putting taxpayer money to bad use. This is very different from luring a team from out of state into your town, where everyone in the area shares in the benefits.

·
Registered
18,070 Posts
Yahoo is barely in the Fortune 500, definitely not in the Fortune 100.
My thought as well. I do think that Yahoo wants to expand, but not to that degree.

The more I think about it, the more that Dell makes sense. They have a substantial presence in the Valley and have been leasing more. They made the decision to go private and think about moving to the Valley about 1 year ago, which is how long the city and architect says they've been working with the mystery company on campus design.

Most importantly, they are looking at getting into com, internet and new technologies and out of manufacturing, all of which means you need lots of new hires and a huge pool of highly skilled new-technology people. Not sure you can do that anywhere but here.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
My thought as well. I do think that Yahoo wants to expand, but not to that degree.

The more I think about it, the more that Dell makes sense. They have a substantial presence in the Valley and have been leasing more. They made the decision to go private and think about moving to the Valley about 1 year ago, which is how long the city and architect says they've been working with the mystery company on campus design.

Most importantly, they are looking at getting into com, internet and new technologies and out of manufacturing, all of which means you need lots of new hires and a huge pool of highly skilled new-technology people. Not sure you can do that anywhere but here.
Dell already has presence at the Gateway Complex in Santa Clara. If anything, if they expand, why not expand there, as Gateway currently still has a lot of space with 2 or 3 more buildings just wrapping up construction.

And Dell....hmm..not sexy....:lol:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sounds like a weak proposal to me. First, the kinds of shows that want 70k open air seats are not going to look at facilities with 17k covered seats. Check Anaheim, where this issue has never come up; or LA where Staples and Farmer's would have been right next to each other. I never heard a word about stealing each other's business in either case.

Of course, upgrades in general are always desirable. But I don't see that SAP has any real rivals that could steal business from them given the distance to Oracle or the proposed Warriors Arena in SF. A specific plan to attract NEW business that would not come to SAP without upgrades is a different story.

Finally, when cities start trying to "beggar" their neighbors by taking business away from a location about 4 miles away, you are really putting taxpayer money to bad use. This is very different from luring a team from out of state into your town, where everyone in the area shares in the benefits.
Exactly!

Speaking of NBA, I remembered vaguely at one point in the early 90's or mid 90's that the W's wanted to move into SJ and share The Tank with the Sharks. The deal fell through due to the Sharks' last-minute demands regarding parking fees. Does anyone remember this? Sigh...even our own Sharks are not magnanimous and above reproach :eek:hno: The team's allegiance is, first and foremost, to itself, as all teams are.

·
Registered
473 Posts
EDIT: Sorry, I did not read Bobby_Guz_Man's post before responding. He hits all the main points very nicely and even the NBA, which I decided not to talk about.

Fine. So the SAP Center will do well financially for sometime, according to your perspective. However, I feel the current design is:

1. Boring, bland and insipid. There is nothing modern or high-tech about the complex. If you think about Silicon Valley, you do not see the Shark Tank as being the symbol of our No. 1 industry.

2. What about long-term? You're absolutely wrong in calling a new "shell" short-term thinking and not best long term. Why? The Diridon Station area will most likely become the center of San Jose. If the A's come, the parking lots next to the two stadiums will go up in office buildings, retail, restaurants and bars. If San Jose makes the Diridon Station area into a modern entertainment district with a renovated SAP Center with a unique feel, then rents for newly built office complexes, restaurants and bars will be higher, bringing in more tax revenue supporting everything from police officers to affordable housing.

3. The Shark Tank is the No. 1 building that attracts people to downtown so renovating this complex over others makes sense since visitors already come to it every time there is an event.

4. Renovating an already successful complex is cheaper than building a new modern-defining symbol.

5. San Jose could try to attract an NBA team.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Imagine...

Here's a map of the Diridon Station area. Imagine the possibilities of a renovated SAP Center, new A's stadium, entertainment district with restaurants, offices and a new high speed rail station. The dream could look something like this if San Jose put together a solid team:

Renovated SAP Center (black)

New A's Stadium (yellow)

New entertainment district with offices, hotels and skybridges (pink)

New high speed train station (orange)

·
Registered
362 Posts

Here's a map of the Diridon Station area. Imagine the possibilities of a renovated SAP Center, new A's stadium, entertainment district with restaurants, offices and a new high speed rail station. The dream could look something like this if San Jose put together a solid....

New high speed train station (orange)

Sweet! Where are these high speed rail station pics from? (And where can I see more!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts

Here's a map of the Diridon Station area. Imagine the possibilities of a renovated SAP Center, new A's stadium, entertainment district with restaurants, offices and a new high speed rail station. The dream could look something like this if San Jose put together a solid team:

Renovated SAP Center (black)

Sometimes we need to be careful of what we wish for. While this is memorable - it isn't timeless, has questionable taste, and will be very polarizing. We can and should do better and be patient to find the right mark which properly represents the area and it's culture.

2441 - 2460 of 28247 Posts