Skyscraper City Forum banner
2481 - 2500 of 30689 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
No one is saying to build an exact copy of the EMP Center. The argument was for a modern shell to save money and to double down on a complex that already draws in thousands. By expanding and redefining the center, San Jose could bring more people here to spend even more money without the cost of building a totally new building. Having even more people come here for events will boost taxes that go, in part, to support government services from everything like affordable housing to helping old people and boosting pensions for cops.

I also question calling Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry as tasteless. He is cited as being "the most important architect of our age" by Vanity Fair, won numerous awards, including the World Architecture Survey in 2010. But then again, this is San Jose and if it's not Spanish colonial, it's "tasteless".

So thanks Tommy for most of everything you said. However, I disagree with starting a new thread. I would rather challenge those harming our city directly in public on their thread. I can take my hits where they come, but it is important to be vocal and directly in opposition to those who are limiting our growth, failing to build complexes that draws people here and just simply thinking small.

Finally, building in homage to the radio industry that is being cannibalized by our No. 1 industry, tech and the Internets, sounds super intelligent to me. Right? If only those who want more radio-era buildings could get my generation to turn off our computer and turn on the radio, then maybe radio-inspired buildings might be wise.

I love butt fucking, it's super fun!

·
Downtown San Jose
1,457 Posts
Building the same damn buildings that look like we're from Spain or Mexico does not attract hundreds of thousands of people each year to our downtown.
Again with this. Name ONE new building that looks either Spanish or Mexican. Please.

I actually have no problem with the Arena as it looks now, and the entrance on Santa Clara street is pretty iconic. However, you simply wish to repeat the same mentality of SJ "urban" planners of the 50s and 60s: "these buildings look dated let's tear them down and build modern ones!" That destroyed downtown.

Although I am not a fan of the EMP center I would welcome something similar to San Jose–*there's enough room for new architecture without replacing the old. Basically, I welcome anything that inspires love AND anger. The majority of our current architecture does neither and that's why it's boring.

·
Go Sharks!!
567 Posts
Although I am not a fan of the EMP center I would welcome something similar to San Jose–*there's enough room for new architecture without replacing the old. Basically, I welcome anything that inspires love AND anger. The majority of our current architecture does neither and that's why it's boring.
Thank you. I want a building that pisses people off or people fall in love with it. At least it's a talking point, and honestly there are some buildings that are criticized publicly when they are built that become icons later on. Even "ugly" buildings can be well designed and urban. Yes I want architecturally pleasing buildings, but if a building is well designed I can live with it. The problem with San Jose's ugly buildings is that they are cookie cutter designs, which makes them boring and able to be an infill buildings in any city in CA.

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
Yeah, we are trying to fill in spaces, so there is room for all styles. I can personally see city hall from my living room, and it rises above bungalows built about a century. The contrast of styles serves as complementary downtown. This colonial-or-postmodern is a false dichotomy.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Thank you. I want a building that pisses people off or people fall in love with it. At least it's a talking point, and honestly there are some buildings that are criticized publicly when they are built that become icons later on. Even "ugly" buildings can be well designed and urban. Yes I want architecturally pleasing buildings, but if a building is well designed I can live with it. The problem with San Jose's ugly buildings is that they are cookie cutter designs, which makes them boring and able to be an infill buildings in any city in CA.
The problem is that the commercial/office market, which tends to bring more architectural diversity, is not active and the residential market is currently "unproven" so investors aren't ready to drop $$$ on more elaborate designs. This sentiment was voiced (by the DiNapoli reps and Mark Tersini of KT Properties) at the Post St tower community meeting when the subject of the city's lack of a signature building was brought up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never had a problem with the arena....I love it, only wish is it held 20k plus for hockey, instead of the 17, 781 or www whatever funky number of seats it holds...and actually one of the smaller ones in nhl. But design, I love it, what would matter what the tank really looked like if every building around it covered its view from outside downtown. There was a post earlier this week showing just that.....and shark tank wasn't touched.

There was an article in Content last year, I tried to find it but all links were disabled, but it was about a Tetris building or something of the like for San Jose, that was interactive with people to control light displays on the building.

San Jose does need a HANdFUL of iconic buildings, just so people have something to reference us too.....the last thing i would want is for people who don't know about San Jose as "the city next to where the Niners play"

·
thesanjoseblog.com
1,167 Posts
I also don't think there is anything dramatically wrong with the Shark Tank today, but would be happiest with a polarizing design that really stands out. At first I hated the way the new Tech Museum looked. It seemed really out of place and I thought the colors were an eyesore. Now it is one of the few iconic buildings Downtown and I couldn't imagine San Jose without that building. I would love to see something that would take the Tank to the next level, maybe even some sort of interactive skin surrounding the building.

Anyway, what's most important here is that we all realize that we want the city to be a better place tomorrow than it is today. As long as we're all at that base level and respect one another, I'm sure we'll continue to have meaningful conversations about how we are going to get there.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Well, I can think of several structures right now on the top of my head as being "iconic". I'll list them in level of "iconic-ness", with 1 being the most.

1) Bank of Italy

2) 5) Fairmont Hotel

3) Tower Hall at SJSU

4) Winchester House. Cliche I know, but take it for what it is and the House is still one of the most impressive Victorian-era mansions on the planet.

5) Lick Observatory

6) City Hall

7) The Church on the Hill (aka Spaceship Church)

8) Sikh Gurdwara

9) The Guadalupe River terrace in the downtown section.

Future icons?

1) Samsung building. It's going to put the CAPITAL into "Capital of Silicon Valley".

2) The Communications Hill project buildout. The one and only "hilltown" of the South Bay.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Here's a video of the 5 richest cities in the US for this year. http://t.co/rRuli0bqFU. Yes, we're on it, as is the little hamlet up north. Nothing new there. But I wish they would have included more pictures for SJ instead of just the Art Museum and the Fairmont. We have way more better looking pieces than those two. But the Fairmont is rather iconic in downtown so that's that.

·
thesanjoseblog.com
1,167 Posts
Here's a video of the 5 richest cities in the US for this year. http://t.co/rRuli0bqFU. Yes, we're on it, as is the little hamlet up north. Nothing new there. But I wish they would have included more pictures for SJ instead of just the Art Museum and the Fairmont. We have way more better looking pieces than those two. But the Fairmont is rather iconic in downtown so that's that.
Thanks! I'll use this as a stat for my blog in a January post.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Don't think this has been posted yet...

^^

Metro Newspapers buys in San Jose's SoFA district

Metro Newspapers, Silicon Valley's alternative news publication, will move a block north from its current San Jose digs after its owner purchased a roughly 4,200-square-foot building at 380 S. First St., filling a space that has been vacant for roughly a decade.

Backreal LLC, an entity set up by Metro CEO Dan Pulcrano, paid about $700,000, or $166 per foot for the property. Metro Newspapers publishes Metro Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz Weekly and the North Bay Bohemian weeklies.

The nearly 30-year-old Metro has been at its current location at 550 S. 1st St. since the early nineties (and at 410 S. First St. since the mid-1980s). The paper was instrumental in helping shift the neighborhood's profile from San Jose's red-light district (with no fewer than four adult theaters) to the up-and-coming South First Area, complete with a cool moniker (SoFA).

At Metro's new headquarters, Pulcrano envisions a space that will also host community events and gallery space. Metro does that out of its existing home already, but Pulcrano said "this space is going to be designed with that in mind."

The mid-century building is basically an empty shell. Pulcrano said construction is slated to start next month with occupancy in the first quarter. Wayne Renshaw of San Jose is the architect; Bright Designlab of Portland, Ore., is doing the interiors; and Group One Construction of Campbell is the general contractor.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2013/12/24/metro-newspapers-buys-in-san-joses.html?page=all

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Nice one on the Metro. But they're really just moving one block up. Wonder what's gonna happen to their old place? I always liked their old place, it looks so cool. A upscale, two-stories restaurant that uses the courtyard would be pretty bad ass!

On another note, I see that the Quakes fans are once again grousing about the Supporter section of the Stadium. I see you trying to make peace there robertee. Good luck mediating that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys - new here. I moved to San Jose in August to got to SJSU and study Urban Planning. I've been popping into this forum for while now to check in on what's going on in terms of development in the area. You guys post some interesting stuff, and often before any media sources pick up on it.

I was looking around the City's website a while ago and came across these renderings: https://app.box.com/s/7avwngxrjsnvtz624qc8 (let me know if that link doesn't work). They're for the double tower KT project just north of San Pedro. What do you guys think of the redesign? An improvement on the original? They've also got diagrams of how the stand-alone retail and Fallon house will be situated if you scroll towards the bottom. I personally think it kinda looks like they just made two copies of One South Market and bent them a little, but I appreciate the adventurousness of the angles, especially the SE corner.

By the way, there's a community meeting on the project on the 16th at City Hall, in case any of you are interested in getting in your 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mjmcalister! As Mark pointed out a few pages ago, San Jose is still a blank slate when it comes to urbanizing, and you and folks like you will be helping out with that as the years go by :) There will be many challenges to face as the city transform from a mostly car-based, suburban-styled city to a more vibrant, high-density, and urbanized environment! Looking forward to your all your inputs!

I cannot access the link you sent, it would be nice to just put up the link to the PDF directly? I can download the PDF on my phone, but there are so many good stuffs there that it's better to see them on the big screen :)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ooooh..I just saw the new designs. I don't know man....I kinda prefer the older design. But this new design is very "adventurous", heavily "faceted", and definitely MORE modern. In fact, I would say it's ULTRA modern. The new design makes the Axis and One South look like they're 20 years old.

The old design can be likened to the 360's design, this new one is as modern as the new World Trade Center.

I don't see the light lines that were in the old design, which I thought was the best part of the old design.

EDIT: No light lines for sure, but there is a new "light structure" that goes the entire height of the tallest building in a triangular shape. VERY INTERESTING. We've been asking for cool light display on the newer building, and this one is REALLY out there! :)

QUICK, someone, download the PDF and post up the pics for us. There are A LOT of pictures!!!!

·
Go Sharks!!
567 Posts
It would be the most modern of any buildings in San Jose. Basically two heavily faceted glass towers with lighted designs on both. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Oh, and that infinity pool is to die for :cheers:
Much improved! KT is the best San Jose developer... Period. This is a giant leap for San Jose. I hope they can pull it off!!

2481 - 2500 of 30689 Posts