SkyscraperCity banner

25101 - 25120 of 25351 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
> One of the main issues is NIMBYism, and people who hold up development over nickel-and-dime issues, like historical significance. If a property really is historically significant, that’s fine, but if a claim of historical significance is just a way to slow down politicians and development, I have a problem with that. I don’t think many people are flying into San Jose just to go admire the historic buildings.

Source https://www.bisnow.com/silicon-valle...-market-103064

I would argue that this being Silicon Valley, and it's storied place in the planet's economy, it's very much worth preserving things like:

• The building the microchip was invented
    The building the hard-drive was invented
    The garage HP started
    The house Apple started
    Etc.
I know the above are already set aside (or going to be), but this is important to our collective history here. And I'm not saying we should be like New England where everywhere George Washington slept or visited can't be altered or torn down...just saying there are some key parts to our unique history that need to be preserved.

(Steps off soap box)
Now let's build on some of those surface parking lots downtown! :)
Let's declare war on surface lots. Downtown doesn't need them at all. Get em all built.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Boston Properties just took over the Platform 16 office complex. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that Google is leasing the whole complex. I would have been happy to hear that years ago, but now it's just becoming obnoxious.

I would rather have young San Jose based companies leasing the space than the monstrosity from Mountain View. All of our tax dollars are just going to go more & more to subsidizing these "LOW PAY" people like the teachers you refer to & dealing with the homeless.

And last I read, these companies are not exactly the "envy of everywhere on earth" anymore. Google, Facebook & the lot are now vilified almost daily in media throughout the world.

I guess it was just way more interesting in the old Silicon Valley days...
Heavy on assumptions, straw men, rose colored nostalgia...light on facts. Silicon Valley has always had flaws and always will just like every human settlement. San Jose has many home grown companies and at least they aren’t collapsing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So you don't want Google to move to San Jose? I'm not sure of how to digest your statement...

I mean, if there's anything to complain about regarding expansion of jobs, the complaints should be directed to the villages surrounding San Jose, and not San Jose itself.

In terms of jobs, we still got a long way to go to measure up proportionally to the villages around us. Even if we were able to fill up all the under-construction and planned office spaces (including Google's Downtown West) with workers, it will still not be enough for San Jose, proportionally.
Google isn't moving to San Jose. They're staying & expanding in Mountain View & remaining a Mountain View based company. San Jose is just one of many satellite campuses. I would have a different opinion if they moved their headquarters here, just for the huge tax, prestige & executive shift to SJ that would create.

I agree with your complaints about "the villages". I'm not opposed to Google adding jobs in San Jose, but would rather have San Jose based new companies like Zoom or different entities, even Tesla, come into the city & provide more job diversity. Why do you want to be a surf of the "villages?" That's what we become when Mountain View's Google (the worst offender in the housing imbalance) just uses the city to create more wealth for its stronghold in Mordor, urh Peninsula.

We have to be careful of what we wish for. If you look honestly at the problem, you can conclude that these massive satellite campuses (Google now has 4 major sites they are contemplating for San Jose, IN ADDITION to the others up north) only add to the massive problems we are creating for ourselves.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looks like this will delay the new hotel for awhile until some type of settlement is reached. It'll be interesting to see how accommodating the developers of the proposed Marriott Moxy hotel will be to any type of settlement in this case. It looks like the law firm they hired has had some success in this type of lawsuit:
There's a good solution to all this. Lew Wolf & company should offer to buy the DeAnza & incorporate it into the new hotel. They could shift the lobby to the DeAnza section & build a small garage where the outdoor patio now sits on the DeAnza side. This would free up the lower level on the new section for a bar & restaurant or breakfast area for guests. Win-win.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm not opposed to Google adding jobs in San Jose, but would rather have San Jose based new companies like Zoom or different entities, even Tesla, come into the city & provide more job diversity. Why do you want to be a surf of the "villages?" That's what we become when Mountain View's Google (the worst offender in the housing imbalance) just uses the city to create more wealth for its stronghold in Mordor, urh Peninsula.
Obviously, tech diversity would be great, but I'm not about to have the ideal be the enemy of good enough.

For SJ, Google is a means to an end--tax revenue.

And, DTSJ at least has/is on track to have PT that's beyond anything on the peninsula or in the north county; if any location can handle the flows of employees at the lowest cost/person for new infra--and get the most net benefit per person--it'll be DTSJ.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The vote on the Kade development at 292 Stockton takes place today at the San Jose City Council meeting. This dual hotel/residence will be another great add to the burgeoning area near Whole Foods. The renderings/plans can be found online. See Section 10.2, page 29 of 32 of the linked Council Agendas (which then have separate Attachment hotlinks inside those links). The plans do take a little while to load.

https://sanjose.legistar.com/DepartmentDetail.aspx?ID=21676&GUID=ACCCCFF5-F14A-4E1A-8540-9065F45A8A90&Search=

Interesting that the residential units will all be on the top floor (and with separate elevator access), but four of those units actually span 2 floors - they go down to the 8th floor. There's no entry access on that floor, as you can't have the hotel units (303 total) and private units (19 total) have the same ingress and egress (is probably a City Ordinance thing).

Probably a slam dunk that this project approval will pass and then (soon) get started. There's also something in Tuesday's Council Agenda about amending the Zoning for "Supergraphic Signs" in the Urban Mixed Use Sign Development Zone (allows for skyline signs). If so, seems like great news all around.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
If you folks like more infill high rise buildings downtown: invite Pinnacle International-They build multiple towers regardless of local market conditions in Downtown San Diego, Vancouver, Toronto and others. Construction/labor costs are not issues with the development firm.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The vote on the Kade development at 292 Stockton takes place today at the San Jose City Council meeting. This dual hotel/residence will be another great add to the burgeoning area near Whole Foods. The renderings/plans can be found online. See Section 10.2, page 29 of 32 of the linked Council Agendas (which then have separate Attachment hotlinks inside those links). The plans do take a little while to load.

https://sanjose.legistar.com/DepartmentDetail.aspx?ID=21676&GUID=ACCCCFF5-F14A-4E1A-8540-9065F45A8A90&Search=

Interesting that the residential units will all be on the top floor (and with separate elevator access), but four of those units actually span 2 floors - they go down to the 8th floor. There's no entry access on that floor, as you can't have the hotel units (303 total) and private units (19 total) have the same ingress and egress (is probably a City Ordinance thing).

Probably a slam dunk that this project approval will pass and then (soon) get started. There's also something in Tuesday's Council Agenda about amending the Zoning for "Supergraphic Signs" in the Urban Mixed Use Sign Development Zone (allows for skyline signs). If so, seems like great news all around.
The hotel was approved:

San Jose approves combined condo, hotel building near Diridon Station

A new building combining hotel rooms with residential condominiums in one of San Jose’s most sought after neighborhoods will be the first-of-its-kind in the city and in step with the vision considered for the area around Diridon Station.

The San Jose City Council has unanimously approved plans submitted by Dallas-based Kade Development to build a nine-story building — featuring a 303-room hotel and 19 condominium units on the top floors — on the corner of Stockton Avenue and Julian Street.

Source: https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/26/want-to-live-in-a-hotel-san-jose-approves-combined-condo-hotel-building-near-diridon-station/amp/
This should help with the Hotel Clariana expansion, as there is now precedent for a development with both hotel and private housing uses.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Facebook cancels F8 developer conference in San Jose due to coronavirus concerns

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2020/02/27/facebook-f8-conference-canceled-coronavirus-fb.html

Facebook Inc. has canceled F8, its large annual developer conference at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, because of concerns about COVID-19, the novel coronavirus that has killed at least 2,800 people worldwide, the company announced Thursday morning.

The conference has been hosted in San Jose since 2017. This year, it was scheduled for May 5 and 6.

The company said it is planning locally hosted events, videos and live streams in place of the conference and would share more details on its plans for F8 in the coming weeks.

Facebook said it would also provide an “F8-inspired experience” this year for local students who it normally would have hosted onsite at the conference.
This could also be a prelude to Apple canceling their annual convention in DTSJ this year also. Not good!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The management of the De Anza is a joke. During the council meeting where the Moxy project was approved, Raul Peralez mentioned that the hotel manager didn't respond to emails regarding the project during the development and entitlement process and then when they finally did contact the city, they contacted and tried to set up a meeting with a council member from another district, not Peralez.

We'll see how this one turns out now that Lew Wolff is supposedly involved in the project. Coincidentally, he just did a brief interview with Bisnow and he dropped this nugget:
of all the stories i've seen while on vacation the last week or so, this one concerns me the most. PACSJ is out of control here. they seem to have bullied the previously uninterested deanza owners into joining their frivolous lawsuit to boost its standing with the courts. we've hardly heard a peep from the deanza prior to this. they seem to grasp the reality that new buildings rise next to and happily co-exist with historic ones in every major city in the world. their building has already been surrounded by modern high rises and is doing just fine!

the project developers have been conscious of the hotels historical significance every step of the way. the original design included the notch so the new structure wouldn't block sight lines from the west. when that wasn't good enough, they redesigned the new hotel based on comments from the community, which included PACSJ. still not good enough. but of course they'd be okay with a smaller scale structure that wouldn't impose on the hotel. there always seems to be an ulterior motive to their lawsuits. i wouldn't be surprised to find out that one of their board members owns on the upper floors of axis and will have their view blocked by the new hotel. otherwise why wouldn't one of the most vocal opponents of the project, the axis hoa, have joined the lawsuit?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
of all the stories i've seen while on vacation the last week or so, this one concerns me the most. PACSJ is out of control here. they seem to have bullied the previously uninterested deanza owners into joining their frivolous lawsuit to boost its standing with the courts. we've hardly heard a peep from the deanza prior to this. they seem to grasp the reality that new buildings rise next to and happily co-exist with historic ones in every major city in the world. their building has already been surrounded by modern high rises and is doing just fine!

the project developers have been conscious of the hotels historical significance every step of the way. the original design included the notch so the new structure wouldn't block sight lines from the west. when that wasn't good enough, they redesigned the new hotel based on comments from the community, which included PACSJ. still not good enough. but of course they'd be okay with a smaller scale structure that wouldn't impose on the hotel. there always seems to be an ulterior motive to their lawsuits. i wouldn't be surprised to find out that one of their board members owns on the upper floors of axis and will have their view blocked by the new hotel. otherwise why wouldn't one of the most vocal opponents of the project, the axis hoa, have joined the lawsuit?
Don't insult our beloving friend.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is slightly off-topic, but one of the things that's bugged me recently is the lack of a serious food critic that covers San Jose and South Bay full-time. The SF Chronicle does a great job at covering SF, wine country, and some of the East Bay but barely comes down south, which is not their fault as that's not really their area. The reviews in the Mercury News are superficial at best. The Metro does an OK job highlighting new joints, but it's obviously limited being a free weekly.

There's a new column in the Chron today where their full-time critic covers some of the more well-known spots in San Jose. It's awesome that she mentions great places like Back-A-Yard, Danbi, and Dia de Pesca! She even brings up the lack of a food critic in San Jose:

Though our coverage stretches from the North Bay to Los Gatos, San Jose has always been one of The Chronicle Food&Wine section’s weak spots. We certainly hear about it from readers — a recent newsletter I wrote about Falafel’s Drive-In prompted a flood of emails and tweets from readers who were excited to have even a small mention of a local (to them) institution in our publication.

As an outsider, it did seem strange that a city with a bigger population than San Francisco would lack a dedicated food critic (though the staff at the Mercury News is doing great in its own right). So I’ve been taking Caltrain to the city every now and then to find out just what I’ve been missing.
A San Francisco restaurant critic’s new (to her) San Jose favorites
https://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/article/A-San-Francisco-restaurant-critic-s-new-to-15089917.php

Locals like us all know we have great restaurants here, but we really need a respected South Bay food critic championing new spots and getting the word out in the press. As an example, think of what Jonathan Gold did for L.A. - that's what I'm imagining. We shouldn't have to rely on SF Chronicle staffers taking an hour-long train ride to cover our food scene.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lots of construction progress. 200 Park soldier pile installation complete. Time to start digging. Adobe almost ready for the ground floor pour.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Largest employers in Silicon Valley:

1. Apple, 25,000 employees
2. Google (Alphabet) 24,600
3. Santa Clara County 18,800
4. Stanford 16,900
5. Facebook 14,600
6. Cisco 14,100 (new layoffs coming)
7. Kaiser 12,500
8. Stanford Health 10,000
9. Tesla 10,000
10. UC Santa Cruz 8,800
11. Applied Materials 8,500
12. Intel 8,400
13. Safeway 7,300
14. Oracle 6,700
15. San Jose 6,600
16. Nvidia 5,500
17. San Mateo County 5,400
18. Stanford Children 5,400
19. Gilead Sciences 5,300
20. Juniper Networks 5,100
21. LinkedIn 4.600
22. Lockheed Martin 4,600 (was 25,000 in 80s)

As you can see, there are some big employers here. Need some natural attrition to restore some balance & take the pressure off the Valley. Cisco could use some big pairing down. It's no longer the high-flyer it was in the '90s but still built for it.

Google will overtake Apple very soon to become number one. They're concentrating too much of their workforce here in Silicon Valley. BTW, the once mighty HP is now 42 with 2,500 people.

25101 - 25120 of 25351 Posts