SkyscraperCity banner

25681 - 25700 of 25956 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
If any big developer wanted to assemble a large parcel near the Diridon Train Station I have identified a great site that so far has escaped the real estate sharks.

View attachment 169248
Some of those parcels have already been targeted for development (of housing), and most of that is off-limits as @KJO pointed out.

Also, I don't know your age nor your knowledge of history, but tearing down neighborhoods hasn't exactly been historically virtuous.

And then there's the problem of monolithic super-block developments; they tend to produce a shitty city experience and tends to produce a lot of dead zones.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
As you can see, it's right in the middle of downtown. Short walk to train station. 87 identity exposure & offramp adjacent. Billionaire developers inquire within. View attachment 169294
it's a nice idea, but it's never going to happen. the area highlighted north of park is the lakehouse historic district, filled with 100+ year old victorians that are mostly in well preserved/restored condition. there are more modern structures sprinkled throughout, like the building at the corner of gifford/park, that could be redeveloped or repurposed though. i'd say a better idea would be to move any other displaced victorians to those plots and create a seamless victorian neighborhood. that would enhance the existing neighborhood while creating a development ally for other nearby plots with historic structures that should be preserved, but are outside the historic district.

the block south of park already has a proposal by urban community - madera @ google village, 7 stories with 85 apts - on the south end that fronts san carlos. the north side of that block would be a prime office plot with a mid block tower stepped back from the park ave elevation to preserve the integrity of the historic neighborhood. the two large blocks with delmas frontage should be targeted as high rise office in order to take advantage of the conveniently located 87 ramps. marwood has a proposal on the jalepeno rojo corner that would either be 1000 units or 1.8MM sqft of office that was submitted to the planning dept. for preliminary review back in february.
I just realized there is a premium subscription for Skyscraper city that eliminates just about all of the super annoying adds and let's you get rid of the right-hand column and expand the content across the full width of your screen. It's a huge improvement and is even better than the old version of the site. Cost is $20/year ($1.60/mo). Small price to pay for frequent visitors.
any simple ad blocker extension will do the same thing for free.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This image below is from the EIR. Amazing to see the impact of SUV's vs cars (negative impact! Maybe thanks to Tesla up the road?)
They should build this OC as a bike/ped only. That'll improve the flow of (bicycle) commuters over 880 without causing trouble at the school. Everyone wins.
View attachment 167484
I'm not defending SUVs, but I believe the reason for this huge emission surge is the growth of the crossover and compact SUV market. This segment is essentially a car platform with an SUV body, not "true" truck platform-based SUVs. People in the past who might have purchased a minivan or sedan are opting for crossovers, due to their utility and height. It would make sense that other car segments are showing a decrease in emissions.

Crossovers are also wildly popular overseas:
Europe's fast-growing small SUV segment attracts new entrants from Ford, Toyota, Jeep and Skoda

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
91 affordable apartments including 59 permanent supportive housing units @ 1135 E. Santa Clara St. & 24th St.

A new affordable housing development for the Five Wounds neighborhood - Reed Community Partners development

·
Registered
75 Posts
91 affordable apartments including 59 permanent supportive housing units @ 1135 E. Santa Clara St. & 24th St.

A new affordable housing development for the Five Wounds neighborhood - Reed Community Partners development

Thank you for sharing details on this development, aphelion2100. I'm always interested in affordable housing developments proposed for San Jose.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What one Silicon Valley office developer's 'post-Covid-19' floorplan looks like *

*Building 2 at the 237 @ First Street office project in North San Jose.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2020/06/01/post-covid-19-office-floorplan-example.html?iana=hpmvp_sjo_news_headline.

"The social distancing floorplan is the first of its kind for an office property in Silicon Valley, Mark Regoli of South Bay Development Company said. It offers a conceptual idea of how a tenant could create an office workspace for the second floor of the six-story Class A building that follows the "six feet rule" and is equipped with numerous features intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus ..."

·
thesanjoseblog.com
1,093 Posts
any simple ad blocker extension will do the same thing for free.
Almost, you can only stretch out the text on the page using the full width of your screen with the subscription. For me that is just as valuable as removing the adds for how I read/work. Plus, it's the right thing to do for a site we use a ton no?

·
thesanjoseblog.com
1,093 Posts
I'm not defending SUVs, but I believe the reason for this huge emission surge is the growth of the crossover and compact SUV market. This segment is essentially a car platform with an SUV body, not "true" truck platform-based SUVs. People in the past who might have purchased a minivan or sedan or opting for crossovers, due to their utility and height. It would make sense that other car segments are showing a decrease in emissions.

Crossovers are also wildly popular overseas:
Europe's fast-growing small SUV segment attracts new entrants from Ford, Toyota, Jeep and Skoda
I'm optimistic things will change with the latest round of crossover/SUV electric cars, especially the Model Y. We haven't had a lot of options for compelling affordable EVs in this segment until now. The Kia Niro and Hyundai Kona also seem to be doing well. Side note that the Tesla Model 3 was the best selling vehicle of any kind in Q1 in California (including SUVs, trucks, etc.)... it beat out the Civic, Accord, Rav4, and Camry.

San Jose also happens to have one of the highest densities of EVs and charging stations in the world. There are over 500 charging plugs between Downtown and Santana Row (many of which are free), which is a huge value add for any future development in our core.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Developer of hotel at 615 Stockton Street files another permit for a reduced size hotel

After being rejected by the S.J. City Council for a 120 room hotel project this past February, the developer recently filed a new permit for an 80 room hotel at the same site.
The persistent developer believes in the motto: If at first you don't succeed try try again.
Better luck this time!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
What one Silicon Valley office developer's 'post-Covid-19' floorplan looks like *

*Building 2 at the 237 @ First Street office project in North San Jose.
Here's an article from yesterdays The Registry that fits into the storyline of the post covid-19 office that may well change the future of high rise office development here in Silicon Valley.

The author of this article is John E. McNellis, a Principal at McNellis Partners in Palo Alto, Calif. - a commercial property developer.

The article starts off by quoting Mark Zuckerberg who says that
half of Facebook’s employees will be working from home over the next 10 years. To that point, Facebook released the results of an internal employee poll: 50 percent plus want to get back to the office, while 40 percent would like to work from home permanently, 75 percent of those at some great distance from headquarters.
McNellis says that solitary confinement sucks; and the work-at-home craze will likely abate. But he says that
Every thinking company in America is drawing up war plans to double the office square footage allocated to its employees. They know they must not only make their employees safe but also feel safe. Plans include more private offices, less density in open areas and making hallways, exits and other pinch points unidirectional. The long dining table approach with headphoned workers cheek by jowl is now a relic. Bottom line, if half the employees stay home, but the footage is doubled for everyone else, you’ve achieved an equilibrium. Your tenants’ space needs stay roughly constant.
In the second part of the article, McNellis explains why the current pandemic will be the "death of the elevator" or the movement away from high rise offices.

McNellis says there will be an ongoing fear (real or imagined) in riding in crowded elevators with strangers or in taking public transit by some workers such that there will be a movement towards working in more traditional suburban offices where a company can have more control over the office environment.

McNellis asked top executives from three tech companies—one with a hundred employees, another with a thousand and the third with many thousands—where they would put their next offices. Would they take a floor in a downtown high-rise or opt for a suburban walk-up? All three insisted upon the latter. Rather than in multi-tenant buildings where their neighbors’ health and safety protocols may be lax, they want to be in their own buildings, controlling everything for their employees.

“It’s a tough time to be an urbanist,” said one senior manager. “For us, finding a location and a building where our employees feel psychological safety is paramount. That probably means avoiding high-rises, at least for the next several years.”

A second opined, “The draw for us is to have the whole building, somewhere we have control over in terms of security and being able to truly call it our home… Walk-ups also have their added value in terms of environmental sustainability, health and wellness.”

The third added, “The question is: Where are our employees going to feel the most productive? If they’re feeling angst over public transit or elevators, they’re not going to be happy. We’re going to lose them. Also, you have to think about recruiting new employees. Will they come to work for us on the 30th floor of a multi-tenant high-rise?”

These three guys could be the only ones in America unwilling to go long on a downtown high-rise, but I doubt it. There could be quite a run on the suburbs.

*No matter how sanguine they were about the real estate market, everyone I interviewed for this essay said he was personally staying away from elevators.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The long dining table approach with headphoned workers cheek by jowl is now a relic.
Thank goodness! Everyone hated that, and the supposed "greater interaction stimulating innovation" was BS to cover the less square footage per employee that saved $$. People interact less in the above setup. Proven by multiple studies.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Virginia Studios apartments updated renderings

Here are some nice new renderings for this project that will be developed at 295 E.Virginia Street & S. 6th Street & I-280 in DTSJ.

Renderings courtesy of Architects Orange SAN JOSE CA

·
Registered
266 Posts
how is it that nobody is talking about the protests and vandalism in downtown at all? weird
Maybe not quite the best forum to be fair, but I'll say a few general words:

To any San Jose residents who have not already, I would recommend tuning into today's city council meeting. You can easily find on YouTube (link below). Public comment period on the topic of the curfew has been ongoing for at least the last 2 hours.

No matter your viewpoint, it is worth listening to what the city leadership and the community have to say. The current situation in our country should be upsetting to everyone, and we all should respect the situation enough to listen with an open mind even to opinions you may not share.

Everyone, please be safe and respect one another. That's the only way we can constructively have the difficult conversations we need to have.

25681 - 25700 of 25956 Posts