Skyscraper City Forum banner
26481 - 26500 of 30704 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
You sound like Peirluigi Oliverio, arguing that gentle upzoning would produce a cataclysm that would overwhelm the neighborhoods with negative impacts.
There was no need to imply that I advocate for entitled thinking like Oliverio. This is just one iota above a strawman argument.
How about talking about the merits of the argument instead?

That was low.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Bottomline: other than West San Jo, market is just too weak to justify the costs of construction of dense housing with retail space the bottom in SJ. It's really a loss cause: no much housing can be achieved in SJ for many years to come unless it grows like it did in the 70's- opening up Coyote Valley or hills for further housing development. Density housing market is basically maxed out in terms of penciling out.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Many moons ago, I seem to recall the Graduate making a splashy announcement of a future retail tenant. Well, the future is (almost) now. Wasn't it like an Ike's? Or maybe a re-known ramen-type place that caters more to the University student? I guess what I'm asking is whether anyone knows if this tenant - and any others, for that matter - will still (soon) be opening up shop in the Graduate.

With the vast tentacles of Covid-19 still claiming businesses right and left, it wouldn't be surprising in the least if these plans were scuttled, but I suppose as much as anything, retail in that specific area of Downtown will more or less hinge on SJSU students actually being on campus for classes and not still doing the distance learning thing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Many moons ago, I seem to recall the Graduate making a splashy announcement of a future retail tenant. Well, the future is (almost) now. Wasn't it like an Ike's? Or maybe a re-known ramen-type place that caters more to the University student? I guess what I'm asking is whether anyone knows if this tenant - and any others, for that matter - will still (soon) be opening up shop in the Graduate.

With the vast tentacles of Covid-19 still claiming businesses right and left, it wouldn't be surprising in the least if these plans were scuttled, but I suppose as much as anything, retail in that specific area of Downtown will more or less hinge on SJSU students actually being on campus for classes and not still doing the distance learning thing.
The only tenants right now are Lee's Sandwiches & Ding Tea. There are 6 spaces available.

Here's the pool already filled with swimmers:

·
Registered
127 Posts

Some updates on the progress of Urban Catalyst’s projects

Of note, they claim that construction will begin on ALL of their projects in 2021.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

Of note, they claim that construction will begin on ALL of their projects in 2021.
more fluff from a slick salesman in a suit to attract investors. i won't believe the talk until they actually break ground.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Perhaps you don't recall, but I posted some excerpts from an article in the SVBJ about 6 months ago regarding the strict requirements that an Opportunity Fund developer must follow in order to legally meet the IRS guidelines for this type of investment fund.

Fast forward to now, and more construction is set to begin in downtown this year than at any time in recent memory. And Urban Catalyst has grown from just Hayden to a staff of 19, working on seven projects that are all slated to be under construction by the end of 2021.

Hayden acknowledges that Urban Catalyst being an Opportunity Zone fund has severely limited the types of investors who can invest in Urban Catalyst.
“You’re limiting yourself to people that have had a capital gains event in the last 180 days,” he said. “That takes out pension funds — they’re tax-free; endowment funds — they’re tax-free. Sovereign wealth funds — they have some capital gains, but not a ton. It pretty much takes out insurance companies; we have gotten no traction with them at all.”

Urban Catalyst has to deploy all of its money within 31 months of receiving it. When the fund buys a property, it has 30 months from the date of purchase to improve it equal to the value of the property’s existing structure or structures, excluding the value of the land, Hayden said.

To meet these deadlines, Urban Catalyst is doing something for its Fountain Alley Building and Keystone projects that some developers would consider risky: Starting the construction documentation process before receiving approvals from the city’s planning director.
From another article, the IRS requirement stated that if the investor funds are not invested in development of the proposed buildings within the allotted timeframe, the investor funds would have to be returned to the investors.

Therefore, Urban Catalyst is under some strict timelines to get these projects off the ground in a timely manner.

Opportunity Zone Deadlines Extended By Coronavirus Disaster Declarations

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Here is a really crisp rendering of Boston Properties S. Almaden Ave. Office Development Project from their architect, KPF Architects:
This sharper rendering brings out the vibrancy of the DTSJ skyline & shows how the Boston Properties office building will dominate the skyline.

Here is the rendering that I posted 2 years ago from the SVBJ which lacks the colorization & therefore makes the skyline appear drab

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here is a really crisp rendering of Boston Properties S. Almaden Ave. Office Development Project from their architect, KPF Architects:
This sharper rendering brings out the vibrancy of the DTSJ skyline & shows how the Boston Properties office building will dominate the skyline.

Here is the rendering that I posted 2 years ago from the SVBJ which lacks the colorization & therefore makes the skyline appear drab
Home on a covid Friday night bored so I added 9 new developments to your image

·
thesanjoseblog.com
1,167 Posts
The pool is open now but you have to reserve a one hour block and once you have that, you can only bring 3 other people with you to the pool or hot tub. I got a chance to swim there last week under an orange sky. Crazy times. I would have to say the capacity for the hot tub is 40-50 and the pool should support well over 100 if no one is doing laps.

There are also two ping pong table, three barbeques, a couple outdoor showers, and a jumbotron on the deck. The gym is also on that floor and hasn't opened yet but they have a couple dozen machines ready to go. They did a good job overall (just some quality issues with fixtures).

The only tenants right now are Lee's Sandwiches & Ding Tea. There are 6 spaces available.

Here's the pool already filled with swimmers: View attachment 501335
View attachment 501337

·
Registered
737 Posts
access and mobility survey from the city, go spend a minute sharing your opinion.
I wish there was a way to ask this as part of the election. Would get a much better representation of the population.

·
Registered
303 Posts
looks like jay paul is moving wells fargo into the bank of the west space at 50 west.
Some more info on the Wells Fargo news you posted, @Dirk_Birkin, taken from a story I just published on that topic:

Wells Fargo eyes 50 West office tower as site of new downtown San Jose branch

Matthew Lituchy, chief investment officer at developer Jay Paul Co., said in an April 24 email that Jay Paul planned to relocate the existing Wells Fargo branch at 121 S. Market St. in downtown's CityView Plaza into the ground floor of 50 West, an 18-story Class A tower adjacent to the Fairmont hotel that the company purchased for $238 million in 2019. While Wells Fargo submitting plans to relocate from 121 S. Market St. to 50 West isn't surprising, it's a sign that Jay Paul is moving forward with plans to begin demolishing CityView Plaza this fall, as Lituchy stated during a virtual panel discussion last month.

And the company isn't just going to be occupying a suite on 50 West's ground floor: It will also be occupying two-and-a-half additional floors within the building, Robles said.

While she did not confirm the specific floors Wells Fargo plans to move into, San Jose's online permit center shows an office tenant improvement application for Wells Fargo for 50 West's 12th, 14th and 15th floors, which, combined with the space it's eyeing on the first floor, totals 49,408 square feet. That application is under review by San Jose's building department as of Tuesday.

26481 - 26500 of 30704 Posts