SkyscraperCity banner

26881 - 26900 of 28247 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
so do they want the city to master plan the neighborhood development for them or not?
It's mostly a desire to feel empowered and improved by the process, rather than feeling disempowered and abused by it. It's borne of a process that does poor public outreach, grinds that data in to a paste, and then spits out a report or plan that, often, seems more aligned with the original position of the proponent politicians than with the public feedback. Like I said, a lot of this effort is to avoid crappy projects that serve a private interest but, on the whole, degrade the public interest.

I think it is a terrible oversimplification to argue or even to imply that criticism of public development planning is to oppose development. It is the right and the burden of every citizen to critically rebuke their government.

if we used the japanese model, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
You are correct, if we used the japanese model for zoning, we would not be having this conversation

That's because, in that model, there are fewer density spikes. Sure, there are tall buildings that tower over their neighbors. But, in general, density is pretty consistent lot to lot, block to block.

Yes, Delmas Park would be more densely developed already--something I would and do welcome. But, so would mid-town. And Gardner. And Willow Glen. And SUN. And Spartan-Keyes. And Naglee Park. And Hensley. And College Park. And and and.

At the same time, and as the outcome of all the density spread outward from DTSJ, it would generally be less dense than what the DSAP will allow for.

most neighborhoods avoid density because it's not appropriate there. it wouldn't make sense to raze 20 year old sfr neighborhoods in evergreen or almaden for the type of development proposed here.
That's the point.

Because some neighborhoods have long fought, through politics and law, against any intensification of use, other neighborhoods are now being burdened with all of the intensification of use. What should, otherwise, be spread more broadly along a gradient sloping outward from key points of interest is a sharp step-wise function.

Their's is a bad-faith argument, and such arguments should always be recognized and treated as such by the groups who would bear the burdensome outcome of those arguments. It gains Delmas Park nothing to roll over and take it so that other neighborhoods can avoid intensification entirely.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's the permit application for utility relocation from several months ago:

Once Westbank has the demo permit in hand, I'm fairly certain they will actively get this project off the ground. Keep your eyes open for the upcoming official groundbreaking ceremonies that are certain to be coming soon for this highly anticipated city sponsored development plan when they originally selected Insight Realty back in August, 2015---seems like a long time ago.

Here's a more life like rendering of the Amazon warehouse from today's The Registry:
Hi, @aphelion2100, that rendering you linked is actually from a previous iteration of the Amazon project, it's taken from the following CBRE brochure: https://www.cbre.us/resources/filea...bc02/bc93e739-65b0-4b04-9a0b-5bb5baa9f8fe.pdf. To confirm, this is not the design of the delivery station Amazon plans to build, the brochure indicates that Barry Swenson Builders, the development site's previous owner, is the project developer. Swenson sold the site to Amazon, and the proposed delivery station is now being developed by Prologis.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Their's is a bad-faith argument, and such arguments should always be recognized and treated as such by the groups who would bear the burdensome outcome of those arguments. It gains Delmas Park nothing to roll over and take it so that other neighborhoods can avoid intensification entirely.
Can you name these "other neighborhoods" that are avoiding densification entirely. From what I'm seeing, practically all neighborhoods along the San Carlos artery have been densifying the last decade or so, with IMO Midtown bearing the brunt majority of the projects...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hope you all caught the quote "Apple store Valley Fair, Santa Clara, California"

Background: Apple store & ALL luxury row is in border of SJ, California (10th largest city in U.S. with no name recognition or reputation whatsoever)
Score:
Santa Clara- PR fame & glory, prestige, sophistication, sexy cool
San Jose- pooh on a stick...and tons of sales tax revenues.

Your welcome... good night.
FIFY :)

Nobody around town says let's go to the Apple Store in Santa Clara. Everyone says "let's go to the Apple Store at Valley Fair". It'll be fine. Santa Clara can have the occasional PR and SJ will be laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Prologis / Bay West Development moving forward with Site Development Permit at 550 Brokaw Rd.

Here's the article from the Mercury-News from April, 2020 by George Avalos about this development:
Wow, I'm surprised there wasn't much noise about this project on here? 2M sqft is kind of a big fcucking deal!!! The brouhaha at Arrilaga's project down the street is even less than this but drew way more attention!

And I agree with Dirk. Rubber stamp this project and get it going. Yeah, transit will be bad but I'm tired of north county towns pulling stunts like this and then shouldering us with the housing. Fcuck it. If you can't fight them, I say join 'em

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This parcel is impacted by the rail realignment necessary for the future elevated Diridon Station concept. Hopefully a public agency buys it and prevents it being developed before then.

The image below is taken from the presentation to SJ city council earlier this year. The red lines indicate the future Caltrain track alignment through this parcel. Note that they are just squeezing by Vespaio, but it is also affected as indicated by the blue shading.

View attachment 619030
Do you happen to have the link for this. I'm wondering how much of this corner lot they would have to take out when they build the elevated tracks along this path.

I did some searching for some buildings that might fit in the smaller slice of pie shape that would be left here after the VTA builds the elevated tracks. There aren't that many buildings that I could find except for a few with the slice of pie configuration. There was one ten story office tower in Denver that I found that might be a good template for some future developer of this site to consider.

Here's the triangular shaped office building in Denver that fits the shape of the allotted space very nicely:

This ten story 140 ft. tall triangle building in Denver that was built in 2015 is considered a landmark of sorts & was sold for $154 million in 2017. That should motivate some local developer here to consider doing something similar for the slice of pie shaped corner of Stockton & The Alameda.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Multiple options floated for mixed-use development on east section of downtown San Jose

The Santa Clara County Housing Authority has been working toward a dramatic redevelopment of a vacant lot at 675 E. Santa Clara Street whereby the agency would be the anchor office tenant — but now it’s possible the government entity will establish its main offices elsewhere.
We are hoping our development will enliven the neighborhood,” said Katherine Harasz, executive director of the Santa Clara County Housing Authority. “It’s an area that’s been a grassy field for a little too long a time.”

Residences, offices, retail, a public plaza, and a county customer service operation would be the primary uses for the mixed-use development at 675 E. Santa Clara St., San Jose city planning

A very preliminary proposal that’s been filed with the city planning department envisions 360 new residential units and 100,000 square feet of office space, along with ground-floor retail, a large public plaza, and a county service center, according to the city planning documents.

Renderings courtesy of: David Baker Architects, Perkins Will Pfau Long

I recall the residents in this neighborhood wanted to have more ground floor retail & it appears that the county is listening. This could be just the type of development that will kick start this area into a lot more urban renewal over the next decade. The big problem lies in the fact that the county takes forever to act on real estate development (i.e.) the S.C. County fairgrounds & probably the redevelopment of the County Government Center off Hedding St.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised there wasn't much noise about this project on here? 2M sqft is kind of a big fcucking deal!!! The brouhaha at Arrilaga's project down the street is even less than this but drew way more attention!

And I agree with Dirk. Rubber stamp this project and get it going. Yeah, transit will be bad but I'm tired of north county towns pulling stunts like this and then shouldering us with the housing. Fcuck it. If you can't fight them, I say join 'em
It's unfortunate that places a bit further away from light rail like this or similarly Northtown (I think that is what it is called - on Trimble and Orchard) are developed while the main light rail corridor on 1st remains underdeveloped.

I'd be fine with putting a bus-only lane on Brokaw to improve transit.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It's mostly a desire to feel empowered and improved by the process, rather than feeling disempowered and abused by it. It's borne of a process that does poor public outreach, grinds that data in to a paste, and then spits out a report or plan that, often, seems more aligned with the original position of the proponent politicians than with the public feedback. Like I said, a lot of this effort is to avoid crappy projects that serve a private interest but, on the whole, degrade the public interest.

I think it is a terrible oversimplification to argue or even to imply that criticism of public development planning is to oppose development. It is the right and the burden of every citizen to critically rebuke their government.

You are correct, if we used the japanese model for zoning, we would not be having this conversation

That's because, in that model, there are fewer density spikes. Sure, there are tall buildings that tower over their neighbors. But, in general, density is pretty consistent lot to lot, block to block.

Yes, Delmas Park would be more densely developed already--something I would and do welcome. But, so would mid-town. And Gardner. And Willow Glen. And SUN. And Spartan-Keyes. And Naglee Park. And Hensley. And College Park. And and and.

At the same time, and as the outcome of all the density spread outward from DTSJ, it would generally be less dense than what the DSAP will allow for.

That's the point.

Because some neighborhoods have long fought, through politics and law, against any intensification of use, other neighborhoods are now being burdened with all of the intensification of use. What should, otherwise, be spread more broadly along a gradient sloping outward from key points of interest is a sharp step-wise function.

grinding the data into a paste and spitting it out in a report, although a crude description, is exactly what the governments responsibility in this case is. it's up to the residents to figure out how to consume that information. the city is under no obligation to spoon feed it to them. 3000 points of contact cited in googles preliminary eir is not poor public outreach. that's them bending over backward to design a development that meets the goals of everyone involved rather than only themselves.

all those neighborhoods you listed are also on the list for redevelopment to higher densities as well. it makes zero sense to skip over delmas to get to them though. start from the core and radiate out from there. i don't understand the constant push-back about delmas. the neighborhood is going to be infinitely better than the current situation once all is said and done.
Do you happen to have the link for this. I'm wondering how much of this corner lot they would have to take out when they build the elevated tracks along this path.

I did some searching for some buildings that might fit in the smaller slice of pie shape that would be left here after the VTA builds the elevated tracks. There aren't that many buildings that I could find except for a few with the slice of pie configuration. There was one ten story office tower in Denver that I found that might be a good template for some future developer of this site to consider.

Here's the triangular shaped office building in Denver that fits the shape of the allotted space very nicely:

This ten story 140 ft. tall triangle building in Denver that was built in 2015 is considered a landmark of sorts & was sold for $154 million in 2017. That should motivate some local developer here to consider doing something similar for the slice of pie shaped corner of Stockton & The Alameda.

the most recent releases from vta for the station redevelopment shows considerable intrusion onto this property. the platforms extend nearly to santa clara street and the switching tracks well north of there. i'd love to see something like this triangular building eventually built here though. there's also the auto shop next door that could be combined with the car wash lot to add some square footage. if that wasn't the case, that old structure may end up lost between vespaio and whatever happens on the corner. another good option if the land is deemed to small for development would be a public plaza or park.

Multiple options floated for mixed-use development on east section of downtown San Jose

Renderings courtesy of: David Baker Architects, Perkins Will Pfau Long

I recall the residents in this neighborhood wanted to have more ground floor retail & it appears that the county is listening. This could be just the type of development that will kick start this area into a lot more urban renewal over the next decade. The big problem lies in the fact that the county takes forever to act on real estate development (i.e.) the S.C. County fairgrounds & probably the redevelopment of the County Government Center off Hedding St.
at first glance 360 units and 100k sqft seems a little light compared to what was released last year in the preliminary draft. on second look, this appears to only be 1/3 of the total project and only the land controlled by the housing authority. so if those numbers are 1/3 of the final result, bravo to the county! here's the final draft plan if anyone wants a refresher on the project:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Can you name these "other neighborhoods" that are avoiding densification entirely. From what I'm seeing, practically all neighborhoods along the San Carlos artery have been densifying the last decade or so, with IMO Midtown bearing the brunt majority of the projects...
The actual plan areas of the UVs are wildly outnumbered by neighborhoods assigned no planned intensification. The UVs often go to great lengths to avoid SFR parcels, creating absurd boundaries. And people, most recognizably Oliviero, in many neighborhoods argue that this is as it should be, lest we deteriorate the "character" of their neighborhood; nevermind that UV plan areas then, as a result, see not just an intensification of use, but a sharp multiple of intensification.

This board can and has argued the logic of planned intensification, comparing proximity to business districts or to major PT or highways and expressways. If we're being honest, though, these have politicians and planners picking winners and losers; this, instead of strengthening property rights by applying a gradual, explicit pseudo-gradient and allowing individual owners to make the choice.

·
Registered
985 Posts
at first glance 360 units and 100k sqft seems a little light compared to what was released last year in the preliminary draft. on second look, this appears to only be 1/3 of the total project and only the land controlled by the housing authority. so if those numbers are 1/3 of the final result, bravo to the county! here's the final draft plan if anyone wants a refresher on the project:
Dont take a victory lap yet. The county and Housing authority have said from the beginning that the master plan will be built in two phases. Phase one (1/3 site) owned by Housing authority would proceed immediately. The Housing Authority is building only some office space and the retail is a housing/homeless services center. Phase two (2/3 site) owned by county would be TBD whenever the county needs additional office space. The vast majority of retail is in this future phase. Currently, they have sufficient space at Civic Center and their expansions plans there will occupy them for the time being. Also mentioned in the article is the Hosing Authority may no longer need the office in phase 1 and could opt to convert it to additional 150 housing units.

...We may end up with no office, little retail and a vacant lot for a decade or two.

If the Housing Authority proceeds with a North First Street option, one scenario for the E. Santa Clara site would be a development with 510 residences, an increase of 150 dwellings from the current preliminary plans of 360 domiciles.

“We are looking for some flexibility in case we go through with the acquisition of an existing building,” Harasz said. She added, “It could be more cost-effective” to purchase a building and re-purpose it for the Housing Authority.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i don't understand the constant push-back about delmas.
I think we're broadly in agreement about the future of the greater downtown area, just to be clear.

I hate to keep repeating myself, but you're being dense on this point; Delmas Park has, for three decades, been one of the most YIMBY neighborhoods in the city, actively and openly welcoming new development. Forming informed criticism of city planning efforts is not the knee-jerk NIMBY antagonism that you are implying it is.

Sigh

Regardless of that impasse we're at, I'd like to point out that even that 3k number of responses is not, in itself, a sign of effective outreach. SJ planning, like elsewhere, too often asks the wrong questions of residents. And it often gets feedback that, statistically, isn't an accurate reflection of broader demographics--who is able or willing to attend a Tuesday evening planning commission meeting at city hall?

Residents, in general, aren't professional planners and should not be asked specific questions about what kind of facility or what specific development should go where. Yet, that's what we've consistently done when the city does planning outreach.

If a city planner doesn't already know where a bike lane is appropriate, or what kind of intensity can be supported by local infra, then they are a bad planner. They are, by training, experts in what can be easily measured; what they lack is a nuanced and deep knowledge of individual experiences.

Residents are experts in their own lived experiences as well as their hopes and dreams for the future, and that's what we should be asking about.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Is interesting in that this applicant is noted as being Museum Place Owner LLC? A reference to the site next to 200 Park Avenue in DTSJ?
Here's the permit application for utility relocation from several months ago:

Once Westbank has the demo permit in hand, I'm fairly certain they will actively get this project off the ground. Keep your eyes open for the upcoming official groundbreaking ceremonies that is certain to be coming soon for this highly anticipated city sponsored development plan when they originally selected Insight Realty back in August, 2015---seems like a long time ago.
180 Park is the address for Museum Place, now called Park Habitat. Someone previously posted that Westbank has scrapped the old design submitted a new design a month ago. The city will not issue demo until the new design is approved and the Westbank submits for building permits. The city ties demo permits to building permits to avoid getting stuck with demo'd vacant lots if nothing proceeds (DP's nightmare demolition apocaplypse). Short story, I dont expect to see movement for a while.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hope you all caught the quote "Apple store Valley Fair, Santa Clara, California"

Background: Apple store & ALL luxury row is in border of SJ, California (10th largest city in U.S. with no name recognition or reputation whatsoever)
Score:
Santa Clara- PR fame & glory, prestige, sophistication, sexy cool
San Jose- pooh on a stick

Your welcome... good night.

Same with the NFL, since the team moved there, it's been all santa clara this and santa clara that on national tv every week, never one mention of san jose, it's disgusting, now santa clara is a household name throughout the country (because nfl football is HUGE, make no mistake about it, regardless of how anybody feels about it, just look at the monster ratings) and sj takes a backseat, only SJ could receive this level of disrespect, it's own suburb (albeit a fairly large one by suburb standards) gets all the fame and glory and name recognition and sj gets completely ignored... add that to the fact that the nfl team's namesake city is like 50 miles away, and borders a larger city than sf, it's insane, I've never heard of a metro statistical area not revolving around it's biggest city in name and in popularity, let alone a football team (or any sport team) bordering a large major TOP TEN city, yet still not be named after it? it's ludicrous, this franchise is obviously just using sj for it's airport and it's large population, that's all and sj is getting absolutely nothing in return, except extra traffic --__-- ... I find all of this appalling, yet I'm not surprised by it... San Jose's new slogan "San Jose, the Rodney Dangerfield of cities, no respect" ... alright my rant is done... btw it wouldn't surprise me if players from opposing teams flying into sj thinking "this is san francisco? looks nothing like it does on tv, it's so small with all the tiny buildings" or "damn, santa clara is a pretty big looking city, I thought it was small" not knowing any better, not even knowing anything about sj because seemingly everybody's going out of their way to keep san jose a secret... and our one real claim to fame in pop culture was a song from the 60's asking which way the place is, which in it of itself is insulting and lends itself to alot of ridicule, thinking it's not relevant enough to be known or know where it is, but that was over 50 years ago and fortunately people for the most part have forgot about it, unless ur talking to an old person, anyway... alright AND NOW I'M DONE... dammit

·
Registered
166 Posts
The presentation to the council is here (huge PDF):

City of San José - File #: 19-1130

The picture I posted was from slide 100.

Note that the heavy rail alignment is not finalized and they are working on it right now. My impression is that it will require a huge amount of flexibility from Union Pacific for the freight alignments and may not be practical unless they buy out UP on the Vasona branch and eliminate the south leg of the warm springs wye (the curve towards downtown just north of the station)

In any case, a key part of the concept is shifting the station north so this parcel will likely be affected in any alternative.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Same with the NFL, since the team moved there, it's been all santa clara this and santa clara that on national tv every week, never one mention of san jose, it's disgusting, now santa clara is a household name throughout the country (because nfl football is HUGE, make no mistake about it, regardless of how anybody feels about it, just look at the monster ratings) and sj takes a backseat, only SJ could receive this level of disrespect, it's own suburb (albeit a fairly large one by suburb standards) gets all the fame and glory and name recognition and sj gets completely ignored... add that to the fact that the nfl team's namesake city is like 50 miles away, and borders a larger city than sf, it's insane, I've never heard of a metro statistical area not revolving around it's biggest city in name and in popularity, let alone a football team (or any sport team) bordering a large major TOP TEN city, yet still not be named after it? it's ludicrous, this franchise is obviously just using sj for it's airport and it's large population, that's all and sj is getting absolutely nothing in return, except extra traffic --__-- ... I find all of this appalling, yet I'm not surprised by it... San Jose's new slogan "San Jose, the Rodney Dangerfield of cities, no respect" ... alright my rant is done... btw it wouldn't surprise me if players from opposing teams flying into sj thinking "this is san francisco? looks nothing like it does on tv, it's so small with all the tiny buildings" or "damn, santa clara is a pretty big looking city, I thought it was small" not knowing any better, not even knowing anything about sj because seemingly everybody's going out of their way to keep san jose a secret... and our one real claim to fame in pop culture was a song from the 60's asking which way the place is, which in it of itself is insulting and lends itself to alot of ridicule, thinking it's not relevant enough to be known or know where it is, but that was over 50 years ago and fortunately people for the most part have forgot about it, unless ur talking to an old person, anyway... alright AND NOW I'M DONE... dammit
Things won't change a bit. San Jose is a fool. This is a hick suburban town as I've always said.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
need to get lost for the rest of the day? here's a new tool that allows you to see what each parcel in the state pays in property taxes. some highlights: adobe pays a little over 6M on their 4 parcels, regoinal med ctr is around 3.9M, the fairmont is at 2.26M, centerra 2.37M, 50 west 2.06M, city view 2.32M in its current state, 200 park 1.25M, apple spaceship 19M, apple nsj approx 3.5M, samsung nsj 5M, valley fair 10.4M, salesforce tower 30.5M, transamerica 3.2M, levi's stadium and oracle park 0.

have fun! don't resent your neighbor because of prop 13!

·
Registered
206 Posts
UBS renews lease in downtown San Jose, a sign of strength for its high-end office class

"We are dedicated to continuing to serve clients in the San Jose area, which is why it is important to continue to keep our presence in San Jose," said Clare Kiesel, executive director and UBS Complex Director for Silicon Valley, in a Thursday email. "We have found 50 West to be a Class A building that UBS can continue to call home. Although the future may look more digital, we want our clients to have the choice to meet with their Advisor (financial advisor) virtually or in-person in a UBS office location that is convenient for them."

Average monthly asking rents for Class A office space in downtown San Jose were $4.53 a square foot, full service, at the end of the third quarter, according to Newmark Knight Frank data, meaning that UBS is paying 87 cents more than the average rate. Mark Ritchie, president of downtown San Jose-based brokerage Ritchie Commercial, said via email that there's a tolerance for rates in the mid-$5 range within the tenant community in downtown, especially when compared to the "much higher rates anywhere north up the Peninsula to San Francisco."

26881 - 26900 of 28247 Posts