Skyscraper City Forum banner
27321 - 27340 of 30704 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I haven't seen any reports on that, @CAAndrew. Let me double-check. The Nov. 2 City Council memo that I mentioned in my story was mainly focused on the environmental impact of this updated natural gas infrastructure prohibition ordinance. I'll drop a link to any reports on development costs in this forum if I find one.
Cost analysis was completed last year and is posted to the city reach code website. At that time the council requested additional information on feasibility and GHG impact before including mid-rises in the gas ban. The memos only cover that additional information request.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Who mentioned Oracle? I wasn't able to find a reference.

If we're talking Oracle, it is terrible, as it's a bit too distant from Caltrain, lacks BART access, is across from a UCSF hospital. It's a dumb location.

But, while Oracle can be compared to the use case of SAP, it's overall different in enough ways of significance to make an overall comparison full of asterisks.
You seem to have trouble with facts and names, as well as conceptual issues. Not worth continuing this.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
View attachment 751508
I'm not sure if this shot has been posted but a snapshot from the 200 park sales video. Home - 200 Park Avenue San Jose these J.P. developments will sure change the feeling of downtown.
2 of Cityview can be without: only build the center of Cityview and not the rest where towers need to be demolish. Offers absolutely no benefit to downtown core once so ever but grief.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
View attachment 751508
I'm not sure if this shot has been posted but a snapshot from the 200 park sales video. Home - 200 Park Avenue San Jose these J.P. developments will sure change the feeling of downtown.
Also found this if you click the location button. Really shows how unfortunately the airport is aligned with downtown but maybe we can push for height east of 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also found this if you click the location button. Really shows how unfortunately the airport is aligned with downtown but maybe we can push for height east of 1st or 2nd.
Really amazing that even this picture still just captures the tip of the iceberg. It’s still missing Park Habitat, Carlyle, Adobe4, Platform 16, the St James towers and Greyhound (though I’m increasingly pessimistic that ZL is going to do anything), and the MASSIVE Downtown West/DSAP. Next decade is going to be big.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Also to clear up confusion from the horrible media, gas is already banned in low-rise residential (1-3 story) and effectively banned in commercial buildings. The change being considered by council is expands the ban to mid-rise residential buildings (4-7 stories), high-rise residential and formalizes a ban on commercial buildings.
You rock. Thanks for the clarity.

·
1,372 Posts
Dillabough/Westbank files Site Development Permit Amendment for Fountain Alley development

I wonder when we will be able to see some renderings for this huge proposed mixed-use development that will really transform this section of DTSJ.
I hope this project will include more bars/clubs on the ground level

·
Registered
737 Posts
You seem to have trouble with facts and names, as well as conceptual issues. Not worth continuing this.
I try to be neutral and polite, but jeez, you're a dick.

We were talking about AT&T, where the Giants play. This was as a comparison to SAP, as both are in urban environments but have geographically large fan bases.

I traced our conversation back to your reply to Arturo's comment, who was replying to DP's comment. You only once obliquely referenced Oakland in our conversation, and neither Arturo nor DP mentioned Oracle.

Obviously, if you then shift to talking about Oracle without a clear transition, there's going to be some ambiguity (in the moment of my reply, I was thinking of Chase. Heaven forbid I get the names switched. Other than impacts to municipal finance and to urban planning, I don't care about the warriors or where they play).

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I try to be neutral and polite, but jeez, you're a dick.

We were talking about AT&T, where the Giants play. This was as a comparison to SAP, as both are in urban environments but have geographically large fan bases.

I traced our conversation back to your reply to Arturo's comment, who was replying to DP's comment. You only once obliquely referenced Oakland in our conversation, and neither Arturo nor DP mentioned Oracle.

Obviously, if you then shift to talking about Oracle without a clear transition, there's going to be some ambiguity (in the moment of my reply, I was thinking of Chase. Heaven forbid I get the names switched. Other than impacts to municipal finance and to urban planning, I don't care about the warriors or where they play).
I think he is presupposing everyone knows that AT&T Park was renamed to Oracle Park. Anyways, I'm not really going to pile on here, just wanted to make you aware of the name changes.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Update on the proposal at the historic 2nd street building that houses Paper Moon Cafe (Formerly Chromatic) and Angelou's. Renderings show 2 floors added to the historic building and then a tower rising behind. Unsure if the sides are blank walls. The proposed rotunda is barely visible at the top.

The project proposal also would retain the historic building and add the tower behind the existing structure, said Kurt Anderson, principal executive with Anderson Architects and the designer of the development...

The housing would consist of 210 units of affordable residences for seniors. The lower levels of the development would create ground-floor retail in the historic building and three floors of offices. Then, floors five through 25 would be residential, according to the development plans submitted Wednesday to city planners.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I hope this project will include more bars/clubs on the ground level
Right. Those blocks of 1st and 2nd that Fountain Alley connects have the potential for a post-pandemic major live entertainment district. Putting in housing at ground floor or even 2nd floor here has the potential to kill that. With the SJ Improv comedy club anchoring this area, it can be a real nightlife destination.
I wonder why SJ hasn't declared these blocks an official nightlife entertainment district?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Update on the proposal at the historic 2nd street building that houses Paper Moon Cafe (Formerly Chromatic) and Angelou's. Renderings show 2 floors added to the historic building and then a tower rising behind. Unsure if the sides are blank walls. The proposed rotunda is barely visible at the top.
So they decided not to go with a cantilevered design. The question remains how the developer will be able to build in the back of the historic building unless they either move the historic building first to get to the back to do the excavation & construction work & upon completion, move the historic building back to the original location.

Or, they would have to coordinate with the planned high rise building development at 17 E. Santa Clara Street ( Eterna Tower) to go thru their site once they demo the existing structure. OTOH, maybe a big-time developer will come in & buy the entire frontage from 17 E. Santa Clara Street eastward to the corner of 2nd & E. Santa Clara St.with a whole new development plan.

Remember the news about the Eterna Tower site being tied up for awhile since BART may be planning an underground substation here that would complicate this entire scenario even more.

George Avalos of the Merc added some additional renderings for the affordable housing development:

Nice touches for an affordable housing development.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Right. Those blocks of 1st and 2nd that Fountain Alley connects have the potential for a post-pandemic major live entertainment district. Putting in housing at ground floor or even 2nd floor here has the potential to kill that. With the SJ Improv comedy club anchoring this area, it can be a real nightlife destination.
I wonder why SJ hasn't declared these blocks an official nightlife entertainment district?
Just guessing, but I think that the developer may design the building something similar to the Carlysle where the upper floors of that building will house the residential portion of that mixed-use development.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just guessing, but I think that the developer may design the building something similar to the Carlysle where the upper floors of that building will house the residential portion of that mixed-use development.
19 N. 2nd St.: The story mentioned that the ground floor would be retail, next 3 floors commercial/office, then floors 5 through 25 would be residential

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
19 N. 2nd St.: The story mentioned that the ground floor would be retail, next 3 floors commercial/office, then floors 5 through 25 would be residential
FLUBUK was referring to the proposed development at 35 S. 2nd Street, The Fountain Alley mixed-use development proposal. See post#27,327 above. It's getting kind of confusing with all of these development proposals around the same area.

·
Registered
163 Posts
FLUBUK was referring to the proposed development at 35 S. 2nd Street, The Fountain Alley mixed-use development proposal. See post#27,327 above. It's getting kind of confusing with all of these development proposals around the same area.
Ah OK thank you. BTW Aphelion I sent you a direct message, but I'm unfamiliar with the messaging platform so it's possible I didn't send it correctly. thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
If you look at the plans for the Bank of Italy renovation (a few pages back), Westbank/Urban Community are proposing a new music venue + F&B/nightlife components.

27321 - 27340 of 30704 Posts