Skyscraper City Forum banner
30681 - 30700 of 31059 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't harsh on mid-rise like many here. I think of central Paris, Barcelona, etc. and how they thrive so much without skyscrapers (yes, I recall the name of this board!). I also think mid-rise = light rail or (few) bus adjacent & high rise (a-la Miro) for BART adjacent/many bus lines adjacent, so this makes more sense to me for the area. I like the park render as well...inviting vs. the usual "let's squeeze in some green between the buildings".

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You say it as if those investments, especially the transit investments, wouldn't be generally beneficial and worthwhile. I'm not saying overlook the cost, only that the necessity of those costs should be considered in context of the benefit they create.
it's more a cost/benefit analysis for me. would any improvement be able to offset five figures of additional car trips in the area every day? based on ridership numbers on all transit services in the south bay outside of bart or caltrain, it's very unlikely. so in order to create a solution on the scale necessary, we're talking multi-billion dollars in investment. since those funding numbers are so large, maybe it would be better to simply put sfr or townhomes at the site.

since road/transit investments should be included regardless of what the county ends up doing with the remaining fairgrounds land, where would you start? curtner/tully is at or near capacity from almaden to capitol most hours of the day already. monterey is a main north/south expressway that is at or near capacity from keys to capitol during rush hour. both are gridlocked during any large event at the fairgrounds.
I don't harsh on mid-rise like many here. I think of central Paris, Barcelona, etc. and how they thrive so much without skyscrapers (yes, I recall the name of this board!). I also think mid-rise = light rail or (few) bus adjacent & high rise (a-la Miro) for BART adjacent/many bus lines adjacent, so this makes more sense to me for the area. I like the park render as well...inviting vs. the usual "let's squeeze in some green between the buildings".
if mid-rise is done correctly, it can be difficult to harsh on the form. paris, barcelona, along with other local examples like the tenderloin or mission bay are good examples of the midrise density necessary to create a successful neighborhood of that form. north san jose, particularly the river oaks area where this is proposed, is a good example of how not to do it. who knows, maybe this will be a the opposite bookend from crescent village that the neighborhood needs. time will tell.

·
thesanjoseblog.com
1,182 Posts
Absolutely!!! Unfortunately it's already barely viable from SF with 100 seats blocked off (tickets will be ~$2k+ roundtrip in coach because of that). They could have done it much better with a 787 and if flying out of San Jose I bet they could have easily expanded the business class section to minimize required empty seats.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Absolutely!!! Unfortunately it's already barely viable from SF with 100 seats blocked off (tickets will be ~$2k+ roundtrip in coach because of that). They could have done it much better with a 787 and if flying out of San Jose I bet they could have easily expanded the business class section to minimize required empty seats.
The company launched the inaugural flight using a Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner configured with 28 lie-flat business class seats, 35 premium recliners, and 211 regular economy seats.

·
1,378 Posts
Dig the pix Gilly, just reminding everyone that you should have your passenger take them if on the freeway (I usually take pix from my car at stoplights only for here). We don't want to lose such a great contributor here! Safety first.
Haha, good call! I was a passenger during those pictures. Thanks for reminding and checking!
---
I was around Santana Row today and took some pictures. The new sidewalk towards Valleyfair looks to be almost complete

I don't remember a stoned sidewalk before? Was this always there?

Bonus: (I noticed more lights/decorations around Santana Row this year)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
One thing nobody is mentioning is that there's only minimal Delta/Skyteam presence at SJC. That's probably important if they don't want to rely solely on O/D traffic.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/12...ampus-sunnyvale-office-real-estate-job-covid/ Perpetual valley corporate stupidity: more growth/leasing in over saturated Sunnyvale/Mountain View area and leaving Dt. SJ dud. Old habit dies hard.
fear not real estate grinch, there's hope for san jose yet. from @mattj08 article on the subject:
“These offices will help support our employees’ evolving workforce needs and help make progress on our company’s net-zero carbon emission goal by reducing commute times and supporting local public transit infrastructure,’’
if reducing commute times and supporting transit are major components of their net-zero emission goal, san jose is a no brainer for a facebook outpost since thousands of their employees live here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
TECH EXODUS -- NOT HAPPENING

not sure whether I'm a grinch, but here's some perspective on the story we had yesterday about the flurry of leases

·
Registered
163 Posts
MEGA PROP BUY

also the biggest commercial property purchase of the year was in San Jose - happened Wednesday afternoon

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
fear not real estate grinch, there's hope for san jose yet. from @mattj08 article on the subject:

if reducing commute times and supporting transit are major components of their net-zero emission goal, san jose is a no brainer for a facebook outpost since thousands of their employees live here.
Should've signed the 200 Park Ave project downtown instead of Sunnyvale.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Thank you very much for citing my story, @Dirk_Birkin; you consistently cite your sources when you post here, and I appreciate it a lot. I know it may seem like a small thing, but it's the type of stuff that makes my day. :)

If I can play devil's advocate to your comment about San Jose being a no-brainer: Back in April I interviewed Ralph Renne, who oversees NetApp's real estate needs, and Joe Brady, one of NetApp's tenant representation brokers. Before NetApp shifted its HQ from Sunnyvale to Santana Row, it sought an almost 550,000-square-foot space in an urban environment akin to downtown San Jose. It even had a deal in place to lease a 500,000-square-foot project there; I didn't find out which one it was, although 200 Park was on its shortlist.

This quotation from Renne helping to explain why NetApp scrapped the idea of coming to downtown San Jose jumped out at me after I interviewed him, and it still crosses my mind from time to time: "Prior to the pandemic, we were fully embracing alternative commutes. Post-pandemic, we had to recognize that there will be a lot of employees reluctant to commute (using mass transit)."

(Here's a link to the rest of my story on how seriously NetApp considered downtown San Jose for its new HQ, in case it's of interest. I apologize in advance if you dislike the headline; in hindsight, I would've given the green light to one that was snarky, but live and learn, as they say).

Granted, I interviewed Renne in April, when the Covid-19 pandemic was still in the process of being contained in the Bay Area and the number of local cases per day was still increasing. I imagine attitudes toward using mass transit post-pandemic have softened a bit since then.

That said, for companies with a majority of employees whose attitudes haven't softened, if they're looking at a space in downtown San Jose with the understanding that most employees would be taking mass transit to work there, I imagine that might be the difference between eventually signing a lease and walking away from the negotiating table.

Tl;dr, reluctance toward taking mass transit to work in downtown San Jose is something to watch moving forward, especially in light of companies like Meta/Facebook recently committing to large Bay Area offices in non-urban environments.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thank you very much for citing my story, @Dirk_Birkin; you consistently cite your sources when you post here, and I appreciate it a lot. I know it may seem like a small thing, but it's the type of stuff that makes my day. :)

If I can play devil's advocate to your comment about San Jose being a no-brainer: Back in April I interviewed Ralph Renne, who oversees NetApp's real estate needs, and Joe Brady, one of NetApp's tenant representation brokers. Before NetApp shifted its HQ from Sunnyvale to Santana Row, it sought an almost 550,000-square-foot space in an urban environment akin to downtown San Jose. It even had a deal in place to lease a 500,000-square-foot project there; I didn't find out which one it was, although 200 Park was on its shortlist.

This quotation from Renne helping to explain why NetApp scrapped the idea of coming to downtown San Jose jumped out at me after I interviewed him, and it still crosses my mind from time to time: "Prior to the pandemic, we were fully embracing alternative commutes. Post-pandemic, we had to recognize that there will be a lot of employees reluctant to commute (using mass transit)."

(Here's a link to the rest of my story on how seriously NetApp considered downtown San Jose for its new HQ, in case it's of interest. I apologize in advance if you dislike the headline; in hindsight, I would've given the green light to one that was snarky, but live and learn, as they say).

Granted, I interviewed Renne in April, when the Covid-19 pandemic was still in the process of being contained in the Bay Area and the number of local cases per day was still increasing. I imagine attitudes toward using mass transit post-pandemic have softened a bit since then.

That said, for companies with a majority of employees whose attitudes haven't softened, if they're looking at a space in downtown San Jose with the understanding that most employees would be taking mass transit to work there, I imagine that might be the difference between eventually signing a lease and walking away from the negotiating table.

Tl;dr, reluctance toward taking mass transit to work in downtown San Jose is something to watch moving forward, especially in light of companies like Meta/Facebook recently committing to large Bay Area offices in non-urban environments.
I think NetApp's decision was based more on that fact that they would have to wait years for 200 Park or Platform 16 or any other project in DTSJ (the problem with no office developments for 10 years in DTSJ) to be completed than the urban vs non-urban environments and transit considerations. While DTSJ is the most "connected" area in SJ/Silicon Valley (in terms of transit), the vast majority of people are still getting there via car and the amount of parking that all of the new office developments are implementing still reflects that.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Send these tech goons to Austin. San Jose needs a whole new industry that reflects the city's agenda: inward, upward , not out growth and smaller carbon footprint that's environmentally friendly. That industry should be downtown oriented and not suburban and sprawled focus. SJ should focus on insurance, finance, law, advertisement and cosmetic to provide jobs instead.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Getting some feelers that frontrunner for Santana West offices across Santana Row might be.... Tik Tok. And they might need both buildings.

Word on the street is that company may be looking to do a 100% spinoff of TikTok from Chinese parent company ByteDance to avoid any future problems with U.S. government over privacy/user data going to CCP. SJ epicenter would be headquarters & compete on same level as YouTube, Facebook/Instagram. We'll see soon.

30681 - 30700 of 31059 Posts