Skyscraper City Forum banner
30701 - 30720 of 31059 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Getting some feelers that frontrunner for Santana West offices across Santana Row might be.... Tik Tok. And they might need both buildings.

Word on the street is that company may be looking to do a 100% spinoff of TikTok from Chinese parent company ByteDance to avoid any future problems with U.S. government over privacy/user data going to CCP. SJ epicenter would be headquarters & compete on same level as YouTube, Facebook/Instagram. We'll see soon.
Thank you for sharing this intel, @siliconvalleyjoe. I'll ask my sources if any of them have heard the same thing. Boston Properties CEO said during the company's latest earnings call that ByteDance is hunting for approximately 250K square feet in Silicon Valley, but I had not heard about TikTok's requirement. The part about TikTok spinning off a company from ByteDance is also news to me, although I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

This is also the first time in more than a year that I've heard a tenant is looking at Santana West. Last year I heard Twitter was interested in taking space there, expanding upon its 33K-square-foot lease at 3055 Olin Ave. in Santana Row, but it ended up deciding to shift its requirement to the East Bay and lease about 66K square feet in downtown Oakland.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,466 Posts
This is why it's so important to have new buildings under construction and large vacant spaces downtown.

And why is it that a new building can sprout so quickly in Santana Row but takes ages downtown? The city is shooting itself in the foot.

·
Registered
758 Posts

The city’s proposal would combine SB 9’s provisions with those of a zoning concept it previously considered known as “opportunity housing, which are similar but also would have allowed increased density in historic neighborhoods and areas that allow duplexes.

The Planning Commission voted 8-2 Wednesday to drop the opportunity housing proposal and focus on executing SB 9 with those caveats. The council will discuss the issue at its Dec. 14 meeting.
Woah.

·
Registered
758 Posts
"Post-pandemic, we had to recognize that there will be a lot of employees reluctant to commute (using mass transit)."
It's terrifying that people whom are being trusted with hundred-million- and billion-dollar decisions have so little imagination that they are only thinking in terms of the world that they are currently in, and not three or five or ten years on. Do they really believe we're going to be in pandemic panic forever?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good news! City of SJ super-fast new free downtown WiFi network went live today! SSID: "Access SJ Downtown"
View attachment 1960074
Try it out if you're around. Primarily meant to be an outdoor network to work on the streets/plazas. Not meant to penetrate buildings (but you might get lucky).
Finally remembered to try it!

This is sitting right outside San Pedro Square Market

·
Downtown San Jose
1,466 Posts
Why is the station not closer to Santa Clara St?? Whoever is designing public transit in this country is designing it to fail. I'm starting to lose hope BART– the way it's being designed– will be worth it.

And having the station at one end of the platform guarantees a chaos as everyone is channeled to across the entire platform to exit versus having it in the middle of the platform. I just can't with this.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It's terrifying that people whom are being trusted with hundred-million- and billion-dollar decisions have so little imagination that they are only thinking in terms of the world that they are currently in, and not three or five or ten years on. Do they really believe we're going to be in pandemic panic forever?
it is pretty terrifying. even if prospective tenants in dtsj aren't projecting office staff returning to public transit for a few years, dtsj is well connected to 87, 280, 101, and 880 for car commuters. not to mention all those freeways are clogged with traffic heading from south and east sj to tech campus' in the northwest county. there is also room to build larger structures for employees to distance themselves a little better until the pandemic finally is over. modern buildings = modern hvac systems to better filter air as well.

sounds to me like the people making these decisions are not seeing the bigger picture. maybe they're all sov commuters with the attitude that since a car is their own personal commute preference, everyone else will prefer that method as well.
Curtner VTA light rail development. Includes office, retail, community building & housing:
View attachment 2460486
View attachment 2460488
View attachment 2460490
View attachment 2460491
View attachment 2460516
Capitol/Branham Station will be developed also:
View attachment 2460542
slow clap to whomever came up with that plan for curtner station. this should be the standard bearer for all future station infill projects.

·
Registered
651 Posts
sounds to me like the people making these decisions are not seeing the bigger picture. maybe they're all sov commuters with the attitude that since a car is their own personal commute preference, everyone else will prefer that method as well.
Ding ding ding. Give this man a prize. Exactly the problem. The tech VP put in charge of "Where our next office goes" lives in Palo Alto/Portola Valley/Atherton/Los Altos Hills, drives a BMW 7 series to their reserved spot, and hasn't ridden public transit since they went on the Metro in Paris one summer in college. Adobe exec's moved to downtown SJ from a suburban Mountain View campus to have a set of 'secure' buildings after a kidnapping attempt on one of the founders (Google it!), not because of transit or how their employees got to work. Transit access/bike access is a spin after they've got a great lease deal in downtown SJ. Almost never a reason up front. (Whew. Taking off my cynical goggles, but damn is this true!)

30701 - 30720 of 31059 Posts