SkyscraperCity banner

4001 - 4020 of 28247 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
The return sucked bad but not as bad as the arrival for me. Other people I've talked to experienced the exact opposite. If there was a way for Cal Train to run a special train to Great America/Levi's from Diridon via the ACE/Capitol Corridor tracks, that would be HUGE! Or at least, if ACE/Capitol Corridor could run special event trains to sync with CalTrain at Diridon for transfers ,that would be a monumental improvement.
It is not special service, but the regular service on Capitol Corridor has trains leaving for Diridon on Sunday from Levi's at 4:56, 6:27, and 8:26pm, which gives you arrivals at Diridon at 5:18, 6:48 and 8:48 respectively, if they are on time that would be 12-17 minutes to transfer to northbound trains leaving at 5:35 (bullet), 7pm and 9pm, arriving at MV at 5:50pm, 7:19, and 9:19pm, is that faster than taking light rail, 54m, 52m, and 53m? The 4:56pm Capitol Corridor arrives at Santa Clara at 5:04pm, the 5pm Caltrain is schedule in Santa Clara at 5:05pm, if Caltrain delayed delayed that train a few mins on game days that would be a good transfer, you would need to go down to the pedestrian tunnel to transfer, unless CC gets to put its southbound train on platform 2 or 3 to allow for transfer on the island platform. If you do make the transfer, that will get you to MV at 5:19 (25 min!), but SF at 6:36pm, 3 min before the baby bullet you chose to not transfer to at Diridon gets there. Based on my experience on Saturday it would seem fairly uncrowded to go that way, but people may wise up. The 8:26 train is probably no good as the kickoffs are at clustered around 1:15, 1pm, 1:05, 1:30, or clustered around 5:30pm.

Is a game ending by 4:30-4:45 realistic for a 1pm kickoff, what about a 1:30 kickoff.

I'm guessing they have the fixed schedule because UP owns the tracks, it is single tracked to Fremont and there are no sidings, pocket tracks or sections of double track to store the train.

I should say regardless ACE is running special fixed scheduled trains from Stockton, to Levi's and back. There is a lot of space near Santa Clara station currently to store trains, and it could serve as a way to transfer from Capitol Corridor to Caltrain, if Caltrain moved their trains to leave 12 min or so earlier on game days to match the Capitol Corridor arrivals at Santa Clara.

Levi's would do well to get people to take Capitol Corridor whenever viable. If train service could extend to Tamien on game days that would allow people to transfer from Caltrain to CC at Santa Clara and transfer, Tamien has a large free park and ride lot. Getting back may be harder. Taking CC from Diridon to the game for a 1pm or 1:30 kick off would be hard because of the arrival times at 10:24am and 1:04pm. For a 5:30 kickoff, it is 3:54 and 5:24.

Capitol Corridor ends up being a better service for Fremont, Hayward or Oakland fans going to the games.

·
Registered
473 Posts

The 376-unit project, Century Center Towers, is located at 1733 N. 1st St. It will be the tallest residential project in North San Jose, with two, 12-story buildings rising up to 120 feet.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts

The 376-unit project, Century Center Towers, is located at 1733 N. 1st St. It will be the tallest residential project in North San Jose, with two, 12-story buildings rising up to 120 feet.
I'm guessing it would end up with a similar feeling to Skyline, which doesn't quite feel urban, but doesn't have the same feeling as the suburbs in East San Jose or South San Jose. Skyline is on sale right now, I've seen a few units there, the view of the Skyline, and the train station are the biggest draws.

I think building up on N. 1st St. would be good, especially as the light rail line is already there, the office parks could be built to make it more easy to take light rail there, but that will probably come as SV expands.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm guessing it would end up with a similar feeling to Skyline, which doesn't quite feel urban, but doesn't have the same feeling as the suburbs in East San Jose or South San Jose. Skyline is on sale right now, I've seen a few units there, the view of the Skyline, and the train station are the biggest draws.

I think building up on N. 1st St. would be good, especially as the light rail line is already there, the office parks could be built to make it more easy to take light rail there, but that will probably come as SV expands.
This area is already surrounded by 6-10 story office buildings. So a little different from Skyline. Putting in a high density residential tower will be good to sustain more food/drink places in the area and get some more foot traffic. Once the Kaiser buildout happens, and with the current access to the airport and the VTA, it'll be a pretty good spot to rent I imagine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
San Jose Proposes Better Bikeways East and West of Downtown

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2014/08/04/san-jose-proposes-better-bikeways-east-and-west-of-downtown/

“The central parts of San Jose have the greatest densities of employment and population,” said SJDOT Deputy Director Paul Smith. “This is the area that should move first towards a greater use of bicycles.” San Jose’s Envision 2040 General Plan set a goal to gradually increase walking and bicycling trips over the next 30 years. Doing so will support several of the plan’s key community values, such as an interconnected city, healthy neighborhoods, and environmental leadership.

“Expanding San José’s comprehensive bicycle network outward from the downtown area will give more residents, workers, and customers safe and comfortable access by bike,” wrote the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) on the proposed improvements.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Yeah, it would kind of have that feel. Or like the Vendome Apartments (also from Swenson).

Speaking of which, is Swenson ever going to finish the Vendome project? That building is such an eyesore sitting on that lot.

Oh and cardinal, have you thought about buying at Skyline?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Oh and cardinal, have you thought about buying at Skyline?
I have toured several units there, nice building, the units are a little smaller than in most new places, but they are actually pretty nice, like buying a new condo. The issue I had with them was more about the neighborhood, it doesn't really have the same conveniences as Midtown or downtown, for the same reasons it has a lower walkscore (54), I don't find it that great, if they had more nearby services it would be better, I wonder how likely it is for downtown to grow south.

I made a bid for a property in the Diridon area, but it wasn't accepted. I'm re-evaluating some properties.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,417 Posts
I'm guessing it would end up with a similar feeling to Skyline, which doesn't quite feel urban, but doesn't have the same feeling as the suburbs in East San Jose or South San Jose.
The design alone sets it apart from Skyline and Vendome. This area is poised to densify as a cheaper alternative to DTSJ. Also the neighborhood is far more urban and just a short Über/LR ride from downtown proper.

I can see tech companies along the LR corridor snatching up units for visiting employees.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Some good news on the 777 Park Ave affordable housing proposal. The proposal failed the vote couple of days ago. So this means the housing authority has to go back to the drawing board, come up with a significantly changed design and start over. Or they could sell the land to a private developer.

Some points that were raised were:

1. The piece of land being of strategic importance given its location.
2. Permanently losing tax revenues.
3. Not quite urban design of the building.

I hope the housing authority sees the uphill battle and sells it to a private developer allowing for a good urban design here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Updated: Seven46 The Alameda

New updated design of Seven46 The Alameda:

Some notes:
- A prominent coffee shop was interested in the spot with front facing windows, but negotiations fell apart.
- Whole Foods (across the street) may not help bring in a strong tenant due to competition.
- Two office tenants will occupy the two back units near Plant 51.
- The building will be "modified to create an ideal and attractive area for small neighborhood focused amenities such as retail, professional space and small restaurants or coffee shops."
- "We anticipate breaking ground on remodel in September if everything goes smoothly. We anticipate duration of construction to be approximately ~16 weeks."
- The development permit goes under public hearing on Wednesday, August 13 at 9:00am.

·
Registered
18,070 Posts
There is another kind of meaningless list,

San Jose is ranked 16th coolest city by Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg45kmll/introduction-12/

I prefer lists to slideshows though.
How can you call in "meaningless" when it has Riverside tucked in right between Denver and Boston? :lol:

And Santa Ana and Sacramento ahead of Chicago? SJ tied with LA in "cool"? Really?

Just as a thought: given the number of NY, Texas and Ca. cities, it makes you think the results are related to the number of subscribers to Forbes.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
How can you call in "meaningless" when it has Riverside tucked in right between Denver and Boston? :lol:

And Santa Ana and Sacramento ahead of Chicago? SJ tied with LA in "cool"? Really?

Just as a thought: given the number of NY, Texas and Ca. cities, it makes you think the results are related to the number of subscribers to Forbes.
I have heard of many people comparing us to L.A., saying were just like L.A., though I think they meant that in a negative way. But still, it makes sense that were just as cool as L.A.

4001 - 4020 of 28247 Posts