Skyscraper City Forum banner
4921 - 4940 of 30704 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Of course it's happening to some capacity. The capacity is that of a much smaller town. Even Palo Alto feels livelier than us. I am not a fan of "it's already happening" mentality. The city needs to dream bigger.

There should be more things downtown that aren't available in our neighboring cities (e.g. Campbell, Santa Clara). Not sure how a city goes about encouraging that sort of thing; the increased residential density should help a lot.
Don't forget San Pedro Sq. Market and the new SoFa Market, too. There are tons of housing downtown already and more is coming immediately. My idea was the way for the city to take the next step: Apple store, H & M, Zara, Dillar's and a slew Scandinavian stores from Denmark, Sweden and others, which there aren't that many of them in the area, and more sleek towers of all uses with heavenly designs. Kepler's bookstore should relocate from Menlo Park to downtown by next to Market by Safeway. There, you'll have the downtown that has taken to the next level!:lol:

·
Go Sharks!!
567 Posts
Of course it's happening to some capacity. The capacity is that of a much smaller town. Even Palo Alto feels livelier than us. I am not a fan of "it's already happening" mentality. The city needs to dream bigger. There should be more things downtown that aren't available in our neighboring cities (e.g. Campbell, Santa Clara). Not sure how a city goes about encouraging that sort of thing; the increased residential density should help a lot.
BINGO! Diversity is what we lack the most.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
BINGO! Diversity is what we lack the most.
Are you kidding??? Downtown is so diverse with people of all different backgrounds with Hispanics, African-Americans, Asians and Whites patronizing downtown on weekends. The downtown area has diverse entertainment options and food options. Even retail is diverse with Ross, Muji and diverse Indie shops. There isn't more diverse area than downtown in the whole region! Are you kidding?!:bash:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Don't forget San Pedro Sq. Market and the new SoFa Market, too. There are tons of housing downtown already and more is coming immediately. My idea was the way for the city to take the next step: Apple store, H & M, Zara, Dillar's and a slew Scandinavian stores from Denmark, Sweden and others, which there aren't that many of them in the area, and more sleek towers of all uses with heavenly designs. Kepler's bookstore should relocate from Menlo Park to downtown by next to Market by Safeway. There, you'll have the downtown that has taken to the next level!:lol:
Let's say you are a major retailer like what you described. Why would you choose to build downtown when you have malls everywhere that have more concentrated foot traffic than almost every city in northern California? Why would you build here rather than at Valley Fair?

And if you are already at Valley Fair (e.g. Apple), why would you put another store so close by?

We should focus more on smaller, interesting spots. Go away from chain restaurants, retail chains. That's how you make a city truly interesting and great.

On a different topic, what are areas outside of core downtown do you think that can happen? I feel like Taylor St. area (which some consider a part of downtown, but not me) to be really interesting.

·
Go Sharks!!
567 Posts
Are you kidding??? Downtown is so diverse with people of all different backgrounds with Hispanics, African-Americans, Asians and Whites patronizing downtown on weekends. The downtown area has diverse entertainment options and food options. Even retail is diverse with Ross, Muji and diverse Indie shops. There isn't more diverse area than downtown in the whole region! Are you kidding?!:bash:
We're talking about things to do diversity, entertainment, not people.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Downtown has places for mature patrons like the Hedley's club, Cafe Stritch and Paper Plane. It has places for young patrons like the Back Bar, Johnny V's and Rock Shop. There are various live music places like the Blank Club downtown. What about San Pedro Sq. Market?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Let's say you are a major retailer like what you described. Why would you choose to build downtown when you have malls everywhere that have more concentrated foot traffic than almost every city in northern California? Why would you build here rather than at Valley Fair?

And if you are already at Valley Fair (e.g. Apple), why would you put another store so close by?

We should focus more on smaller, interesting spots. Go away from chain restaurants, retail chains. That's how you make a city truly interesting and great.

On a different topic, what are areas outside of core downtown do you think that can happen? I feel like Taylor St. area (which some consider a part of downtown, but not me) to be really interesting.
Just look at Toronto, Chicago, LA, Denver and Portland, they all have many shopping malls within a five miles or less from downtown that are very busy, and they still have downtowns with successful retail. If they can do it, then why not SJ? If you want smaller, interesting spots, then downtown already has them. Look at the Alemeda: small stores, Whole foods and Ind. restaurants. San Jose is a big successful city and needs to act that way, not like a "hole in the donut city like Detroit".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know what's going on at the big plot of land on the west side of Orchard Parkway and Component? Just drove by and couldn't catch the developer name, but there is a tent with balloons and men in suits...perhaps a groundbreaking ceremony?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Anyone know what's going on at the big plot of land on the west side of Orchard Parkway and Component? Just drove by and couldn't catch the developer name, but there is a tent with balloons and men in suits...perhaps a groundbreaking ceremony?
That's the lot slated for N1 Campus from Lowe Enterprises. Interesting....haven't heard a peep from these guys since the renderings 2 years ago.

And welcome to the board Saucie!

EDIT: Here's a snippet from SVBJ's Nathan Donato-Weinstein back in March 2014.

"Meanwhile, Lowe's two major projects in the area -- the N1 Campus in San Jose and Centennial Gateway in Santa Clara -- remain on track, Lowe Enterprises Real Estate Group CEO Rick Newman said in an email.

Matt Walker, a Lowe executive vice president, has been "co-leading" the development of Centennial Gateway. He has now taken on day-to-day responsibility for the project, Newman said.

Lowe Vice President Daisy Hatch will continue to run day-to-day activities at N1, he said. Lowe is currently looking to secure construction debt to begin Phase 1 of the 43-acre project at North First Street and Orchard Parkway at Component Drive. "

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's the lot slated for N1 Campus from Lowe Enterprises. Interesting....haven't heard a peep from these guys since the renderings 2 years ago.
Isn't N1 east of Orchard Pkwy? I think 101 Tech by Ellis is west of Orchard Pkwy

http://www.ellispartners.com/news.php?p=0&id=107

"...
The property also came with 12 acres of vacant land adjacent to Highway 101. The City of San Jose has supported Ellis Partners throughout the entitlement process, and in the spring, the company received final approval for an additional 665,000 square feet throughout three buildings, which will bring the campus to approximately 1 million square feet.
“We are now in discussions with tenants for the existing building and marketing the new buildings for build-to-suits, which we hope will be tech companies rolling out of or priced out of the super-hot areas of Palo Alto and Mountain View,” Rubinson says..."

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Isn't N1 east of Orchard Pkwy? I think 101 Tech by Ellis is west of Orchard Pkwy

http://www.ellispartners.com/news.php?p=0&id=107

"...
The property also came with 12 acres of vacant land adjacent to Highway 101. The City of San Jose has supported Ellis Partners throughout the entitlement process, and in the spring, the company received final approval for an additional 665,000 square feet throughout three buildings, which will bring the campus to approximately 1 million square feet.
“We are now in discussions with tenants for the existing building and marketing the new buildings for build-to-suits, which we hope will be tech companies rolling out of or priced out of the super-hot areas of Palo Alto and Mountain View,” Rubinson says..."
Ahh yes, you are correct, so it looks like Ellis is getting started on the rest of the Atmel lot.

Ahem, N1 and Peery....gosh...those projects sure disappeared quick while we're remaking North 1st into Santa Clara's bedroom community :banana:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Fountain Alley is finally a cool place. Destiny Attic has opened there with all kinds of merchandises and pots with a outdoor seating. Garlic bread is next door which has great barbeque. There are all kinds of locally owned retail stores popping up downtown. No, I don't mean pop ups. The lingerie place open a while ago on Santa Clara st next to Johnny's. There's another one by Sperry market on Third. A really cool clothing store opened awhile ago on Santa Clara st. by 9th.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I just don't understand this, is it something about San Jose that scares the shit out of office developers? Are there hidden fees that we do not know about?

While millions of square feet of office space are sprouting up in neighboring Santa Clara and Sunnyvale, we get a measly 200,000 sq ft built on spec.

I read the article on the Legacy site, and they actually had steel prefabricated ready to go, yet they sit for years to await "the opportunity". WTF?

Santana Row is supposed to be the hot bed of urbanity in the Valley, glamorous and all. All their office space are leased out. Yet their additional office proposal still has not been built yet.

What IS the problem? Are the permitting processes too slow? Is it THAT difficult to get funding to build in San Jose? Irvine had no problem building thousands of housing units in North San Jose yet wouldn't touch our office spaces with a 10-foot-pole.

Housing unit in NSJ is capped now, thank god. And then the next thing I hear is Liccardo wants to increase the units, and the other developers are saying please give us more housing units. WTF?

I feel like it's time we should push back. NO MORE HOUSING built except for Downtown. We're not going to shoulder the burden of housing everyone and their mom anymore. Let the peanut towns around us build their own fvckin housing.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
By the way, Kansen Chu sucks, thank God he's out of the office. The guy is more focused on the residential Berryessa area than he is in the business section of North 1st. Let's hope they elect someone who cares for the business section of that district as equally as the residential sections.

And I love that BART goes to all the main business section of Oakland, SF, Fremont, and Milpitas, but when it reaches San Jose it goes to the residential areas. Fvck!

Liccardo better remember that his #1 priority is to fill the city coffers. That needs to come before his urban mumbo jumbo and affordable housing bullshit.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Man, fvckin lame!!!!! These fools have been sitting on this project for years. Bunch of backstabbing bitches.

I just don't understand this, is it something about San Jose that scares the shit out of office developers? Are there hidden fees that we do not know about?

While millions of square feet of office space are sprouting up in neighboring Santa Clara and Sunnyvale, we get a measly 200,000 sq ft built on spec.

I read the article on the Legacy site, and they actually had steel prefabricated ready to go, yet they sit for years to await "the opportunity". WTF?

Santana Row is supposed to be the hot bed of urbanity in the Valley, glamorous and all. All their office space are leased out. Yet their additional office proposal still has not been built yet.

What IS the problem? Are the permitting processes too slow? Is it THAT difficult to get funding to build in San Jose? Irvine had no problem building thousands of housing units in North San Jose yet wouldn't touch our office spaces with a 10-foot-pole.

Housing unit in NSJ is capped now, thank god. And then the next thing I hear is Liccardo wants to increase the units, and the other developers are saying please give us more housing units. WTF?

I feel like it's time we should push back. NO MORE HOUSING built except for Downtown. We're not going to shoulder the burden of housing everyone and their mom anymore. Let the peanut towns around us build their own fvckin housing.
It's simple: the market wasn't there for new office development, so developers focused on renovating existing buildings in NSJ.

4921 - 4940 of 30704 Posts