Skyscraper City Forum banner
9021 - 9040 of 30720 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I wonder if both Rail Yard Place and the nearby progression of SPMS that Robertee recently documented (re: Infrastructure around Julian Street, etc.) will somehow accelerate the opening of Autumn Street across the RR tracks. This would give quick access to SAP via Coleman Ave. (and 880, etc.).

IIRC, the RR track prep work there is complete (oh, 1-2 years ago), but I don't know if the City of San Jose was waiting for the R/W acquisitions running south (and through the "neighborhood" located to the west of the Guadalupe River Park and Little Italy) to be fully consummated. I think the land is there (ready) north of Julian, but I don't know if the City would green-light the process I speak of unless and until the "end-result" Autumn configuration was ready as a whole.

Info or insights (no pun intended), anyone?
I think work has started on this (or will start soon):

Source

Source

·
Registered
155 Posts

That is fantastic that work has finally resumed on Autumn Pkwy. It has been dormant for 'way too long. In a conversation with an SJ DOT engineer last summer I was told that the portion north of Julian St would be done first, and the portion south to connect to Santa Clara St adjacent to the SAP Center was still several years off.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

How has SJ recognized this? The DT building boom is overwhelmingly residential.
You're mixing two ideas: what the market wants and what the government wants. The market demand has been overwhelmingly for residential. The city has said it would like to reserve land for around BART stations, but as far as the current boom is concerned, what do you want the city to do? Companies either want to locate to DTSJ or they don't. So far, companies haven't been rushing to DTSJ, so developers aren't rushing to build new offices there.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Am I the only one who isn't in favor of a big, new, heavily trafficked parkway in the middle of a densifying area? The track record for pedestrian safety and pedestrian use when a parkway is introduced is dismal. And this is the same time as the city is trying to encourage development in the Diridon area and improve utilization of Arena Green. It's working at cross-purposes.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Am I the only one who isn't in favor of a big, new, heavily trafficked parkway in the middle of a densifying area? The track record for pedestrian safety and pedestrian use when a parkway is introduced is dismal. And this is the same time as the city is trying to encourage development in the Diridon area and improve utilization of Arena Green. It's working at cross-purposes.
Doesn't seem like it:
http://www.spur.org/publications/po...ur-comments-phase-ii-expansion-autumn-parkway
http://www.spur.org/sites/default/files/publications_pdfs/SPUR 456 Autumn Court Advocacy Letter.pdf

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

That is fantastic that work has finally resumed on Autumn Pkwy. It has been dormant for 'way too long. In a conversation with an SJ DOT engineer last summer I was told that the portion north of Julian St would be done first, and the portion south to connect to Santa Clara St adjacent to the SAP Center was still several years off.
Is this still the plan? https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1006

It sounds like a pretty significant change to that stretch of land around the river. Does this have other real estate implications like the realignment at N San Pedro has? Will it make the area more development friendly?

The document probably says but I haven't had a chance to skim through the entire doc (also not knowing if it's up to date)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quakes looking to radically transform Guadalupe River Park under the SJC flight path. Supposedly a long time table (red tape), so I'm not sure what this means for Coleman Highline starting.
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area...-san-jose-soccer-complex-might-move-guadalupe
Given the fact that this open land is in the direct flight path of SJC, this is the type of development that should be pursued. I've practiced at the baseball fields off Taylor and always thought that the open land should be used for additional baseball fields. If soccer wants to move in, all the better. Hopefully the FAA will not make too be of an issue over the land use. Build it and they will come!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
Given the fact that this open land is in the direct flight path of SJC, this is the type of development that should be pursued. I've practiced at the baseball fields off Taylor and always thought that the open land should be used for additional baseball fields. If soccer wants to move in, all the better. Hopefully the FAA will not make too be of an issue over the land use. Build it and they will come!!
I agree. Sports fields are a big use of space and SJ is a place where price per square foot is at a premium. It almost needs to be under a flight path of similarly nuisanced lot of land. Office or residential are not in the picture there, so it's fields or nothing...or homeless camps.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I agree. Sports fields are a big use of space and SJ is a place where price per square foot is at a premium. It almost needs to be under a flight path of similarly nuisanced lot of land. Office or residential are not in the picture there, so it's fields or nothing...or homeless camps.
Whatever happened to Susan Hammer's grandiose plans for Guadalupe River Park? A victim of downturns, no doubt (several of them), meaning a lack of money. Was there ever a Master Plan... or was this always going to be a piece-meal thing-a-ma-job?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Whatever happened to Susan Hammer's grandiose plans for Guadalupe River Park? A victim of downturns, no doubt (several of them), meaning a lack of money. Was there ever a Master Plan... or was this always going to be a piece-meal thing-a-ma-job?
Do you have a link or something, I don't recall ever seeing something.
Personally I think soccer fields are a good use of the land, I don't think you could build anything over 1 story tall in that area because of the flight path, and the proposal specifically has the area directly underneath the flight paths empty.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Do you have a link or something, I don't recall ever seeing something.
Personally I think soccer fields are a good use of the land, I don't think you could build anything over 1 story tall in that area because of the flight path, and the proposal specifically has the area directly underneath the flight paths empty.
This maybe? http://www.grpg.org/Files/GRPGMasterPlan.pdf

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
Raiders staying in Oakland---reopening the door to the A's in SJ.
whoa whoa whoa WHOA! You clearly misunderstood what just went down today.

Other owners gave Spanos right of first refusal to secondary status in Inglewood. He is VERY skeptical of Kroenke's terms and now he officially has $100M extra to build in his current home, plus some offer from SD still standing. Oakland offered the Raiders NOTHING, and now Davis has the option to be tenant in Inglewood if Spanos declines. Not only that, but Davis has San Antonio AND St Louis (if not San Diego too) as leverage against Oakland, which we all know will offer NO FREE MONEY to build a new stadium. The Raiders are good as gone and the A's will have the Coliseum site.

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
I heard audio on 95.7 in which Davis was explicitly asked about staying in Oakland and he was quick to point out that theydon't have a lease at the Coliseum. He added, "America, the world is a possibility for Raider Nation."

Either way, he is not getting free money from Oakland so Wolff and Fisher will take control of the Coliseum site. No baseball in SJ.

EDIT: I'm not sure what territorial rights even mean in the NFL. They do not have the monopoly that MLB does, and Davis Sr previously moved his franchise to LA when the Rams already occupied that market. Kroenke also just threatened to move without approval, so who knows what plays out, or who overrules whom.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Either way, he is not getting free money from Oakland so Wolff and Fisher will take control of the Coliseum site. No baseball in SJ.
He's not, but now there's some extra money to work with. Maybe Oakland will now step up and meet him halfway.

And saying "No baseball in SJ" is defeatist. We should not let this imaginary ballpark dictate our Diridon plan, but I wouldn't rule out integrating it if all the pieces fall into place before the Diridon boom kicks off. But there should be no waiting game on those parcels after the options expire.

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
The Raiders will sign a year to year lease at the Coliseum according to Mark Purdy until they find out what happens with the Chargers move to L.A. Regarding territorial rights, the NFL requires 75% of the owners to approve of any relocation to another market --- same as the MLB. Without the support of a "kingmaker" like Jerry Jones any team will probably fail in their attempts to move to any particular market.
The Chargers have just one year to decide, and I doubt they'll take that long. With San Antonio off the table officially, Jerry Jones would still have to be a team player and hold his tongue while Davis plays the extortion game. That still leaves St Louis and their $300M riverfront stadium and San Diego's Mission Valley plan, which is reportedly relinquished territory if Spanos takes Inglewood.
He's not, but now there's some extra money to work with. Maybe Oakland will now step up and meet him halfway.

And saying "No baseball in SJ" is defeatist. We should not let this imaginary ballpark dictate our Diridon plan, but I wouldn't rule out integrating it if all the pieces fall into place before the Diridon boom kicks off. But there should be no waiting game on those parcels after the options expire.
Oakland is not bending. Look at how they protest condo towers that we welcome with open arms, because the voter base there hates rich people. Gifting more money to sports owners is political suicide. The Raiders will remain hundreds of millions short in negotiations with the city, and Wolffisher will be the best option to keep A team and develop the site with private money.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Oakland is not bending. Look at how they protest condo towers that we welcome with open arms, because the voter base there hates rich people. Gifting more money to sports owners is political suicide. The Raiders will remain hundreds of millions short in negotiations with the city, and Wolffisher will be the best option to keep A team and develop the site with private money.
OK sir, no baseball for San Jose, sir. SF Giants forever, sir!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

9021 - 9040 of 30720 Posts