Skyscraper City Forum banner
15081 - 15100 of 30689 Posts

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
San Jose could've gotten the Olympics if it sought for it. The time, rotation and length of time U.S not hosting one would have ensured that San Jose would've had the Olympics. With so many cities dropping out, all SJ had to do is bid. That's it. It had 90% chance that it would come to San Jose. I knew it all along and was insisting that San Jose, not SF, put out a bid to host the Olympics. Instead, L.A bid for it and got it. San Jose blew it! It shows the city and its city officials still have inferiority http://media.istockphoto.com/photos...ts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:
I think hosting the Olympics is a bigger deal than you are saying. SJ is far, far short of the facilities or funding needed to pull it off.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think hosting the Olympics is a bigger deal than you are saying. SJ is far, far short of the facilities or funding needed to pull it off.
I think the San Francisco Bay Area in general would do a great job of hosting this. It would be just jolly good if the Olympic committee would stop playing politics with venue choices.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
San Jose is a lot more prepared than LA: Levi's, Avaya and Stanford stadiums, along with Sap arena and Santa Clara international swimming center.
okay, i'll bite even though this is way off topic for this thread. compare your list of south bay stadiums with:

indoor arenas - staples center, honda center, the forum, pauley pavillion (UCLA), the galen center (USC)

outdoor arenas - dodger stadium, angles stadium, the LA coliseum, the rose bowl, the new rams/chargers stadium, stub hub center (soccer and tennis), the new LAFC arena, USC swimming center, not to mention they can set up beach volleyball on an actual beach, and have suitable rowing venues as well.

kinda makes levi's, SAP, and stanford stadium look like chump change.

edit: campus village is in no way large enough to hold 20k athletes and trainers.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
okay, i'll bite even though this is way off topic for this thread. compare your list of south bay stadiums with:

indoor arenas - staples center, honda center, the forum, pauley pavillion (UCLA), the galen center (USC)

outdoor arenas - dodger stadium, angles stadium, the LA coliseum, the rose bowl, the new rams/chargers stadium, stub hub center (soccer and tennis), the new LAFC arena, USC swimming center, not to mention they can set up beach volleyball on an actual beach, and have suitable rowing venues as well.

kinda makes levi's, SAP, and stanford stadium look like chump change.

edit: campus village is in no way large enough to hold 20k athletes and trainers.
LA facilities are outdate: Coliseum, swimming center. What I listed are just some of the venues San Jose area has. It also has great transportation and infrastructure in place. Moffett Field can house 20,000 athletes. San Jose has more perfect weather in the summer than L.A. There's no better place to host and win the Olympic bid than SJ. It would've had over 90% chance of hosting it had SJ solicit.:bash::eek:hno::lol:

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Everything is great downtown with a lot of businesses and real estate thriving basically for years now. Sparq and affordable 2nd st. complexes breaking ground will do justice for downtown. Everything is rosy except for new high rises despite the market is very ripe for them. Look to Downtown SD: decent market, albeit weaker than Downtown SJ, but developers, mainly lenders, are super aggressive on putting up towers in that downtown. Note* UC campus/high rise residential, which is 34 story, just broke ground by Holland Partners. There's an all out high rise boom in Downtown SD to satisfy the market for all types of housing there. It's not the case here. They're too caution despite having way stronger market for all types of housing downtown.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
to jumpstart high rise development downtown: hefty subsidies should be provided for at least 5 high rises that cover surface lots and gaps between buildings downtown along with very quick and easy approval/permit process that cuts corner and skip many lengthy steps. If it's already attractive design: let developers go ahead and build without any haggling. This is my suggestion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dont think I've seen renders for the Penney bldg on here before.

Anyone know when Blue Bottle is opening?

More at: http://www.liftrp.com/new-gallery/
I was upset that there wasn't a better development proposal for this corner, but honestly these rendering make me excited for it. That's a huge improvement over the current facade of the building. Also looks like it includes a very large public interior area.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

anyone else think of this when looking at that exterior? with that said, great addition to the corner and a huge improvement of the brick/glass facade. i really hope that roof deck is open to the public!
Yep. thought of that. I wonder if that is the actual mural though as they have shown other renderings with various murals.

No the roof deck will not be publicly accessible due to code issues.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Huge bummer, that looks fantastic. Really wish we had a lot more roof decks/patios in SJ, even if its only for residents/employees.
Every building should have a roof terrace. Our weather is too great too ignore. Sadly historic buildings have a lot of financial and spacial concerns to bring them up to code. At least we can advocate for every new building having a terrace and/or POPOS (Privately Owned Public Open Space) like San Francisco.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Dont think I've seen renders for the Penney bldg on here before.

Anyone know when Blue Bottle is opening?

More at: http://www.liftrp.com/new-gallery/
Looks great but you can peer in through the window right now and there's basically no work done as far as I could I please tell. I thought they were going to start working on the windows for a while but that stopped too

·
Registered
814 Posts
Agree with everyone here that the design for the Penney's building is a nice improvement for this street corner. Also (unfortunately), that the 1980's façade paint scheme is an absolute travesty, if implemented. Let's hope cooler heads prevail in this regard. I suppose it's more interesting than the static/dull "tan" or "blue" theme that we see almost everywhere else, but this coloring scheme will be dated before you can blink an eye.

·
Landscape Architect
242 Posts
Agree with everyone here that the design for the Penney's building is a nice improvement for this street corner. Also (unfortunately), that the 1980's façade paint scheme is an absolute travesty, if implemented. Let's hope cooler heads prevail in this regard. I suppose it's more interesting than the static/dull "tan" or "blue" theme that we see almost everywhere else, but this coloring scheme will be dated before you can blink an eye.
I dont disagree. But it is only paint. Paint can be redone.

15081 - 15100 of 30689 Posts