Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2061 - 2080 of 2310 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,063 ·
$3.1 million grant means work can start for new vision for The Alameda in San Jose

Months of community meetings resulting in a new vision for The Alameda are closer to fruition thanks to a major funding grant from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission.

The 2010 Regional Transportation for Livable Communities grant of $3.1 million to the City of San Jose Department of Transportation will be used to implement Phase 1A of the plan that came out of a series of community meetings on the future of The Alameda in early 2010.

The first changes will be in what the vision plan calls "the town center," which stretches along The Alameda from Stockton Avenue to Fremont Street.

Zahi Khattab, project manager for DOT who submitted the grant application, says the planned changes "are intended to help enliven The Alameda as a retail center and multi-modal transportation corridor.

"Some of those design elements include enhanced pedestrian crosswalks, corner sidewalk bulb-outs, ADA ramps, raised median with landscaping and pedestrian refuges, new lighting and special elements such as gateway and neighborhood markers."

Khattab says he expects the design process to start by the end of 2010 and be completed by August 2011.

After the design is reviewed and approved, it will go out to bid with construction starting as soon as May 2012 with completion by February 2013.

·
Registered
19,275 Posts
Too bad. As the article notes, this will move a lot of people away from the center of DT into no-man's land. Hopefully 10 Almaden can replace the lost people and keep the local businesses around there from going under.

On the other hand, it could be that a lot of the PWC people are at clients most days any way. I don't know if the numbers cited include just people actually spending time in the building or total employees.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,459 Posts
Old news, new development.

Deal near on downtown San Jose's biggest vacancy:

http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2010/07/19/story1.html?b=1279512000^3653231
I still dont understand why they didnt want to lease small pieces to multiple tenants. I understand that it is somewhat more prestigious to have one tenant but in the current economic climate it was nonsensical. Hopefully 10 Almaden will have an easy time replacing PWC and this can result in a net gain for downtown.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,071 ·
Crescent Village

From a nice article about DTSJ's rebirth that appeared in the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/realestate/commercial/21sanjose.html

The Irvine Company Apartment Communities plans to build Crescent Village, 1,750 rental apartments on nearly 40 acres near the light-rail system in north San Jose. Crescent Village will consist of five four-story “villages” atop underground parking garages.

The development will have amenities like a park, pools, fitness centers and club rooms, said Darin J. Schoolmeester, a principal with MVE & Partners, the architecture firm designing Crescent Village. He said Crescent Village would include retail space, perhaps for small markets, delis, coffee shops or restaurants.

·
Registered
19,275 Posts
Where exactly is this going to be?

I notice they are talking about "small market, delis" so it sounds like they want you to not use a car when grocery shopping. Sounds like "Irvine for environmentalists".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Perhaps it is the former Sony site (Zanker & River Oaks)...they (Irvine Apartment Co) have been talking about building apartments there for a couple of years - it's very close to another Irvine community - but it all got stalled by the economy. The entire area (it's quite a large site) has been fenced off for a couple of years now, but I noticed in the last week or so that they have begun digging up the parking lot and chopping down a lot of the trees (there are a lot of dead palm trees on that site so no great loss IMO). Anyway...I could be wrong but that's my guess!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,074 ·
I think your'e right about the location. It's a good site with plenty of residents and workers who need convenience retail. The light rail station, U of Pheonix, Canon, and Cisco's numbered buildings are all w/in walking distance. Should be a nice addition.

Perhaps it is the former Sony site (Zanker & River Oaks)...they (Irvine Apartment Co) have been talking about building apartments there for a couple of years - it's very close to another Irvine community - but it all got stalled by the economy. The entire area (it's quite a large site) has been fenced off for a couple of years now, but I noticed in the last week or so that they have begun digging up the parking lot and chopping down a lot of the trees (there are a lot of dead palm trees on that site so no great loss IMO). Anyway...I could be wrong but that's my guess!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know what's up with 360 residences? Looks like the building was completed over a year ago but it looks lie there is no one living there. The only thing that caught my eye, besides the building being all dark, was that there is a Subway sing by the side of the building.

·
Enough of Flatlands
281 Posts
Does anyone know what's up with 360 residences? Looks like the building was completed over a year ago but it looks lie there is no one living there. The only thing that caught my eye, besides the building being all dark, was that there is a Subway sing by the side of the building.
From the SJ Redevelopment Monthly Report for June:

"Construction Update

Minor work remaining to obtain final Certificate of Occupancy. Need to install seismic sensor and reconfigure card reader security system on exit doors from garage. Subway to be a ground floor tenant on Market Street.

Sales On-site sales office and models are open. 90+ sales contracts have been executed. First escrow closings targeted for early Summer 2010. HOA fees range from $450 - $850 per month. The Developer is not publicly reporting sales activity or pricing information, but expects to offer attractive pricing to spur sales."

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I was driving to work today I noticed a truck at the intersection of Almaden & San Fernando. When I came Home they were still outside but had some sort of projector mounted on a pole and had it projecting on the side of the building on the NE corner. I wonder if this is some sort of art piece or what?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,078 ·
Bidding starts on $241M San Jose courthouse construction project

Bidding is about to begin on the construction phase of the $241 million Santa Clara Family Resources Courthouse that is projected to bring 1,150 jobs to a local building industry wracked by 30 percent unemployment.

California’s Administrative Office of the Courts will ask construction firms this month to submit bids to manage the job now that funding has been allocated for the project, scheduled to begin in 2012.

The plans call for 20 courtrooms now scattered throughout downtown San Jose to be located under one roof — a huge relief to judges forced to conduct court in a warehouse, an old bank building and miscellaneous offices.

"All of these places are overcrowded, inadequate and in some cases unsafe. I don’t even want to call them courthouses," said Judge Jamie Jacobs-May. "As long as I’ve been on the bench, this has been a stopgap measure with the intent that we will have a courthouse someday."

Jacobs-May, presiding judge who has been pushing for a new courthouse for 20 years, estimated the court system will save $200 million in current lease payments over the next 30 years and close to $1 billion in 50 years.

The proposed site on St. James Street, currently used as a parking lot, is partially owned by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority and the county. The state is doing its due diligence on the VTA parcel but has not yet made an offer, said VTA spokeswoman Jennie Loft.

Santa Clara County, however, is donating its 1.5-acre parcel, valued at $6.8 million.

"This is a positive improvement for the community," said Gary Graves, the county’s chief operation officer. "We’re willing to work with the courts."

The day has arrived.

The seven-story building will have up to 21 courtrooms in a 195,000-square-foot building. Construction is scheduled to start in two years and finish in mid-2014. The new building is not yet designed, but a contract with the architectural firm Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Architects of Portland, Ore., is scheduled to be finalized soon, said Teresa Ruano, spokeswoman for the Administrative Office of the Courts.

Also located on the site is a landmark structure known as the Moir Building, or St. James Hotel, constructed in 1894. But the building, now occupied by a law firm, will not be affected by the courthouse construction.

Senate bill 1407, which passed in 2008, set aside a portion of court user fees, including penalties and assessments, to create a fund that enables the state to start the construction process. Ruano said when the project nears completion, the state will sell 30-year lease revenue bonds to pay for what she described as a “much-needed facility.”

Currently the various courts and administrative functions are conducted all over downtown: Administration offices and probate investigators are housed at 111 W. St. John St., drug court is located at 115 Terraine St., family court is conducted at 170 Park Center Plaza, and two courtrooms are at 99 Notre Dame Ave.

How the market will be affected when a total of 104,000 square feet hits the market in 2014 depends on what happens in the next few years, said Jeff Fredericks, senior managing partner for Colliers International.

"Provided that we see some healthy net absorption between now and then, 100,000 square feet is not that much in the scope of things," he said. "But I suspect most, if not all, of that space will be obsolete and not usable for other tenants in its condition. So, the space will likely either be almost impossible to lease or it will need to be completely gutted and rebuilt."

"That could actually be a good thing if there is a shortage of shell space at that time,”"he said.
Jobs, jobs, jobs

Neil Struthers, CEO of the Building and Construction Trades Council of Santa Clara and San Benito Counties, calculated that about 1,150 pure construction jobs will be created by a project, and that’s not counting jobs for managers and vendors.

"We’ve been working on this for a year," Struthers said. "We’ve been part of a high-level advisory team working to secure the funding. We worked hard to make sure jobs were created. Whenever you build a public works project, you put local people to work."

Mark Ritchie, of Ritchie Commercial, noted that government spending on infrastructure projects seems to be the only game in town.

"It’s great to get the block developed," he said. "It’s been a long time in planning. It will be good to see a crane in the sky."

City Councilman Sam Liccardo, in whose downtown district the courthouse will be built, said any shovel-ready project feels like "reaching a lemonade stand in the middle of the desert."

"We’ve got 30 percent unemployment in construction," Liccardo said. "We badly need jobs and need to move forward on this project."

Read more: Bidding starts on $241M San Jose courthouse construction project - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I was driving to work today I noticed a truck at the intersection of Almaden & San Fernando. When I came Home they were still outside but had some sort of projector mounted on a pole and had it projecting on the side of the building on the NE corner. I wonder if this is some sort of art piece or what?
Took some crappy pics on the way Home.

2061 - 2080 of 2310 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.