SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SAN JOSE - SAP Center at San Jose (17,562)

14728 Views 36 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  will101
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Wow. I never realized that there was no thread for The Tank.
I think the SAP Center at San Jose looks really compact, considering the fact that its construction was briefly delayed after the San Jose Sharks requested some revisions to the arena's original design to meet NHL standards, including adding luxury boxes and a press box, and an increase in seating capacity. I believe the arena's capacity was originally planned to be around 15,000.
I think the SAP Center at San Jose looks really compact, considering the fact that its construction was briefly delayed after the San Jose Sharks requested some revisions to the arena's original design to meet NHL standards, including adding luxury boxes and a press box, and an increase in seating capacity. I believe the arena's capacity was originally planned to be around 15,000.
The original plan was for around 10,000, and completion was delayed by over a year. The Sharks had to play their first two seasons at the Cow Palace.
San Jose was such a fast-growing city during that time, so a 10,000-capacity indoor arena obviously wouldn't have been enough for them (The City of San Jose).
Looks like a nice place to watch a hockey game.
San Jose was such a fast-growing city during that time, so a 10,000-capacity indoor arena obviously wouldn't have been enough for them (The City of San Jose).
Until the Sharks came along, it was assumed that the arena would only be used for concerts, the ice capades and the odd pre-season Warriors game. Maybe some San Jose State basketball, too. The entire upper tier was tacked on for the Sharks, and those little curved wings sticking out at the top are because the upper suites could not fit in the building footprint.
Reactions: Lakeland
Has anyone heard of any movement on the renovation push? I remember the new majority owner saying it was going to be high on the priority list when he took controlling interest. The Tank is very compact, and I can't imagine packing anymore seats inside. The most recent renovation gave it the new video boards and other goodies, but the newest arenas are even more state-of-the-art, an the tank is ancient in today's standards. I wonder if it would be easier to simply start over?

I love this building though.
Has anyone heard of any movement on the renovation push? I remember the new majority owner saying it was going to be high on the priority list when he took controlling interest. The Tank is very compact, and I can't imagine packing anymore seats inside. The most recent renovation gave it the new video boards and other goodies, but the newest arenas are even more state-of-the-art, an the tank is ancient in today's standards. I wonder if it would be easier to simply start over?

I love this building though.
I love that by the standards we've set for arenas today that THIS arena is now ancient...

No, they should not build a new building. Its fine. I can understand some renovations; new video boards, updated seats, new tvs in the rich arsehole suites, etc. But if your house just needs new carpet, you don't tear it down and build a new one.
I agree, the arena is fine and with some renovations it should last a while. The compact feel is what makes it look and sound like an old style hockey barn.

The biggest problem they have is the bad TV deal
Here's the issue: The Sharks' local deal pales compared to most other NHL teams. The team is in the middle of a long-term contract with Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area that yields the Sharks $7 million per season. And it has 14 more seasons to run.

Meanwhile, according to Forbes' magazine and website, the Toronto Maple Leafs receive $41 million per season in local TV rights. Several other teams — the Rangers, Canadiens, Red Wings — bring in more than $30 million per season. The Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks have $20 million-plus-per-season deals, as do Dallas and New Jersey and the New York Islanders.

Needless to say, this puts the Sharks at a disadvantage. Do the math. Over the next five years alone, the Kings and Ducks will have a minimum of $65 million more than the Sharks to push payroll up to the salary cap limit and/or buy out contracts and/or turn a profit. The team says it isn't making one now.
Some info on possible arena upgrades
One report earlier had suggested that if the Sharks continue to suffer financial losses, the team would consider moving from San Jose with a new arena near Levis' Stadium in Santa Clara as one potential option.

Tortora again played down that likelihood, saying "our focus has been to figure out a long-term solution to stay in San Jose." While the team does not see the need for a new arena, he added, it is important to work cooperatively with the city "to figure out a way to maintain and fund the necessary capital repairs that a 21-year-old facility needs."

Most of the updating is needed behind the scenes, he added, citing the need to finish the replacement of the roof at SAP Center as one example. Conversations to set priorities are already under way, he added.

"We recognize what's around us, but we're pursuing San Jose and they're pursuing us," Tortora said.
Wonder why Stockton, Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc. weren't chosen. Can't imagine they'll be able to fill many seats. The Kings will at least have their AHL affiliate far away from downtown, to serve the Inland Empire.
Wonder why Stockton, Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc. weren't chosen. Can't imagine they'll be able to fill many seats. The Kings will at least have their AHL affiliate far away from downtown, to serve the Inland Empire.

Stockton is being bought by Calgary, Bako is going to Edmonton. My guess is SJ is waiting for either Sac or Golden State's new arenas, or the vacated Oracle Arena.
Just over a week ago, a Fresno Bee writer, summarized the history of the Falcons.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/01/28/3737323/thoughts-on-ice-hockey-in-fresno.html

His summary:
My 10 thoughts:

1.) Lots of lucrative corporate sponsorships are unlikely.

2.) The four-county central San Joaquin Valley doesn’t have a big middle-class with discretionary income to spend on niche sports entertainment.

3.) The investor group looking to bring ice hockey back to Selland says City Hall will get to keep the $1 arts/parks fee on each ticket. This fee is levied by city code. The money by law must go to City Hall.

4.) ECHL teams seem to come and go like June bugs.

5.) Falcons attendance numbers were juiced with free tickets.

9.) The investor group looking to bring ice hockey back to Selland wants City Hall to give it $3 for each fan going through the gates. The money would qualify as a general fund subsidy. That means a three-year deal at Selland would almost certainly trigger Council Member Lee Brand’s Better Business Act.

10.) Pro ice hockey failed in Fresno because people made the personal decision to stop spending their money on the product. Nothing so far suggests this has changed.
Reactions: will101
The ECHL's Western Conference is on life support.
The ECHL's Western Conference is on life support.
I believe some ECHL teams are replacing lost AHL teams back east. Bakersfield and Ontario are set to move to Manchester and Norfolk from what I understand.
Stockton is being bought by Calgary, Bako is going to Edmonton. My guess is SJ is waiting for either Sac or Golden State's new arenas, or the vacated Oracle Arena.
Does Oracle even have ice making equipment? At the very least, it would be the Barclays style basketball first setup. I know people minge about that for the Islanders, but its fairly commonplace in the AHL and other minor leagues (Charlotte, San Antonio, Seattle Thunderbirds and Key Arena, etc).
Does Oracle even have ice making equipment? At the very least, it would be the Barclays style basketball first setup. I know people minge about that for the Islanders, but its fairly commonplace in the AHL and other minor leagues (Charlotte, San Antonio, Seattle Thunderbirds and Key Arena, etc).

Not sure if they do anymore. When the W's move into their new place across the bay, I can see them investing in ice making equipment if the Sharks are interested. At least it will keep the place booked between concerts and monster truck rallies.
This would make sense to me. San Jose may be a better hockey market than the rest of the Bay Area counties in general, but there's always the law of diminishing returns if you oversaturate any particular area. Hence why the East Bay or Sacramento seem like good bets to me. Can Sacramento support the NBA, minor league baseball, and potentially MLS and minor league hockey as well?
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.