Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tren Urbano, Puerto Rico

I've been seeing the forums for a while looking at the systems of other parts of the world and wondering why I haven't seen any posts about Puerto Rico. So here it goes.

Puerto Rico is an island in the caribbean, more than 4 mil hab. Heavy population concentration on the metro area. The car rules here, but the government, realizing there was no more space to expand the roads stared looking at mass public transport alternatives.

Up to now public transport consists of two, government managed bus companies, and mini buses that are supervised by a government commission.
AMA and Metrobus are the government agencies.

Tren Urbano (Urban Train) is a heavy rail system, with 16 stations; there are elevated, underground and aboveground portions. Now it consists of only one line with plans to expand it to other areas but not concrete plans yet as to where and if it would be a heavy or light system, or the kind of stations to use.

The construction stared in 1997, and it ended at the summer of 2004. It had many many delays due to changes in the orders of construction and there have been a lot of controversy because of the way the contracts had been awarded.

The rolling stock, turnstiles and systems are made by Siemens. Ask me whatever I forgot to mention.

Some pics from external sites:

·
The Big Easy Forever
362 Posts
san juans population is 445,000, the metro is over 1.4 million. its good that something like that is there, its a very crowded country and even though it is small it takes a long time to get around anywhere because of those mountains and congested roads(traffic is really bad, per capita Puerto Ricans have more cars then most other countries including the US). the system costs about 2 billion dollars and the US pays about 40%. no one should argue with this since the US keeps PR as a protectorate even though i doubt it needs that status. i hope this system works because i dont think alot of people are willing to give up the safety of their cars because of the increased violence happening over there with the drug lords and gangs.

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,423 Posts
Very nice system and stations but trains are not so beautiful...
:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It stared running on the weekends from 10 am to 6pm I think. Now is running from 6am to 9pm, still free, trains get to the station like every 12 mins now, they are using 4 cars and the platforms can fit up to 6. On may 23rd they are gonna start integrating the bus system to it and later the mini buses. At the beggining it was meant to be Tren Urbano, but thanks God someone realized that one line, and people not used to use the public transportation does not make a good match. Then they formed ATI ... in english Integrated Transport Alternative... the thing was that they focused on completing the system and when it was done, well it hit them that the Integrated part was missing... They think it's gonna take them like tree months to get it to how it is supossed to work. Now they are staring orientations and giving maps, all the busses are ready for the farecards. The fare is $1.50 with one free transfer. The buses are used by about 40 mil persons anually, but they are only on the metro area. The third picture says Carolina tunnel, there are two tunnels that go south, but are not completted, those are for a future expansion. The stations are huge... on the newspaper it was reported that there were not enough seats on the stations... the Department of Transportation had to explain that there were to be a trains every 4 mins and because of that not many seats were needed, and well; it works on time, if on the screen says the next train is in one minute and it does get there on one minute you can see some amazed people. So we are sort of getting used to it.

Let me add that the gallon of regular gas here now is $2.12

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,423 Posts
mariusz_ny said:
June 6 - San Juan -- Bayamón - Sagrado Corazón - regular revenue service.
Any new pics?
How many cars are in the trainset now? 2 or 4?What's wrong with the cars?
Nothing wrong but they look so old, like a design from the 80's...
:(
But they are new! Why that? :?
:runaway:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Were the trains bought used? I personally have nothing against them, I think they look fine. The stations are a bit bland, but nice. You should understand that they strictly adhered to a budget for this project, and practicality was much more important than aesthetics. They have built an eficient and practical system, and should be proud of this accomplishment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i think it looks quite nice, actually. the stations are handsome in an efficient way. the rolling stock looks like the stock in dc/miami/baltimore ... if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Puerto Rico is NOT a country. It has been a U.S. Territory since 1897. It's population have been American Citizens since 1917.
oduguy1999 said:
san juans population is 445,000, the metro is over 1.4 million. its good that something like that is there, its a very crowded country and even though it is small it takes a long time to get around anywhere because of those mountains and congested roads(traffic is really bad, per capita Puerto Ricans have more cars then most other countries including the US). the system costs about 2 billion dollars and the US pays about 40%. no one should argue with this since the US keeps PR as a protectorate even though i doubt it needs that status. i hope this system works because i dont think alot of people are willing to give up the safety of their cars because of the increased violence happening over there with the drug lords and gangs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
USED??? Everything is brand spanking NEW. I've never heard of a public transportation system in the U.S. ever purchasing used equipment.
asohn said:
Were the trains bought used? I personally have nothing against them, I think they look fine. The stations are a bit bland, but nice. You should understand that they strictly adhered to a budget for this project, and practicality was much more important than aesthetics. They have built an eficient and practical system, and should be proud of this accomplishment.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts