Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo blow the fuker up i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr */%$£* %$£!"&*%

·
Like 'Berg'
6,801 Posts
sounds promising, its a massive site beside the main bulk of the sandcastle (im presuming they're on about where the roof garden low-rise part of it is, closer to the beethams??) and it'll b a great spot to add more height without losing the sandcastle itself, love it or loathe it, its iconic to the waterfront.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo blow the fuker up i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr */%$£* %$£!"&*%
Get it listed now before they ruin it by adding a tower...:bash: :eek:hno:

Only joking :)

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I'm not precious about it, if this spectacular building can be extended and also improved then great. But I wonder how economic that would be (ie to improve it as well as extend it) or if what is really being considered is to rape this building for profit. I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to extend without compromising its integrity - I'm sure it could be done, but it's hard to imagine the Liverpool commercial property market being prosperous enough to justify the architects and design and building standards that would be necessary. After all, most of what has gone up in recent years is pretty cheap and generic stuff (Unity being a nice exception), and the costs of providing the additional accommodation would surely be lower by just putting up a new block on Princes Dock or elsewhere in that area.

I remember this building since it was built, and have always liked it. I know it's not currently considered fashionable, so some younger people don't have a good eye for it, but their current tastes are not really important here. Today's new buildings will look pretty gross to youngsters in 20 and 30 years time, and some may be, but some are probably quite good and will hopefully pass into the age when they are appreciated without being mutiliated or destroyed.

RSA is a very well designed, well built and highly distinctive building that many people regard as beautiful. It is a modern symbol of Liverpool and a building that cannot simply be exploited for the temporary advantage of developers who may or may not have paid a bit too much for it.

I think it should be listed, (Grade 2?), to protect it from inappropriate and insensitive redevelopment.

·
Registered Abuser
2,834 Posts
why isnt wayne eejit features complaining about this development after all
it's not that much younger than the Liver building or the anglican
Well over half a century is a long time if you ask me, plus they are from completely different eras, i think that matters more than age.

·
Just something
9,056 Posts
It is a waterfront star.

Bollocks young man - it is monumental

We should keep it, cheerish it and if possible enhance it IMHO :banana:

It is a waterfront star.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bollocks young man - it is monumental

We should keep it, cheerish it and if possible enhance it IMHO :banana:

It is a waterfront star.
Are you delusional "old man" i'm all for keeping great looking buildings from any era but quite frankly i think it looks like sumthing that come out my arse after a heavy night

:gunz:

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's a very wide building Craigie. What do you get up to? :?
:hilarious

I love this building. I remember I used to really hate it, thinking it looked like a big, cubist turd. But it has grown on me (uurgh) in recent years and now I can confirm that I am a huge fan. There is something about the profile of the building, as seen from New Brighton-Seacombe, that really appeals to me. It is, as Pietari says, truly monumental in form. It is an edifice on a much grander scale compared to anything around it. I can't think of a building in this world that looks like it.

It is a modernist zigurat. It adds a castle/fort-like quality to the waterfront (I wonder if some of the inspiration didn't come from that old castle I've seen on images of medieval Liverpool?) The fort-effect is emphasised by the tall, skinny windows, built flush with the concrete panels. These give the impression of a building (and the city behind it) that is impregnable. I wonder if this didn't reflect the mood of Liverpool at the time it was built; defensive in a harsh and changing world?

There is also a sense in which the building, in an abstract manner, reflects the Liver Building, with the two towered bits it has at the sides (I think they may be lift shafts) towering up, and being by a slight amount, the tallest parts of the building. These I think are representations of the Liver Birds. This effect is particularly observable from the eastern elevation that you see looking from the direction of Everton.

This building, in what it tries to do, echos the other adventurous buildings being created during the post-war, modernist era. It takes advantage of the sculptural qualities of raw concrete (or Breton Brut, you might say it is also a "Brutalist" building.) The building is an abstract sculpture, attempting to reflect the distant and more recent history of the city it inhabits, and with its scale and confidence, true ambition. Its design and appearance reflect its environment to such a degree, that it really is a Liverpool building; it is Liverpool.

This is a building that provokes love/hate reactions in people. I suspect that the building is an acquired taste, and probably best seen from all angles to fully appreciate it. It is a modernist building in the truest sense; misunderstood and confusing. This is a building, the concept at the heart of which, is challenging, and if you only take a quick glance at it, you may miss what it is trying to do, and how it actually does try to make a statement. It isn't the glassy, transparent, lowest common denominator type box we see emerging everywhere at the moment (throughout the world.)

It is a building of Liverpool; reflecting its history and its ambition. I only hope this new, proposed extension is sensitive and makes the building even better. It is difficult to imagine how the proposal would look, and that it won't ruin the proportions of the building, and everything it tries to do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts