Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sandomierz

Sandomierz is a city in south-eastern Poland with 27,000 inhabitants

History

Sandomierz is one of the oldest and historically most significant cities in Poland. Archeological finds around the city indicate that humans inhabited the area since neolithic times. The city came into existence in the early Middle Ages, taking advantage of an excellent location at the junction of Vistula and San rivers, and on the path of important trade routes. The first known historical mention of the city comes from the early 12th century, when the chronicler Gallus Anonymus ranked it together with Krakow and Wroclaw as one of the main cities of Poland. In the testament of Boleslaw Krzywousty, in which he divided Poland among his sons, Sandomierz was designated as a capital of one of the resulting principalities.

In the course of the 13th century the city suffered grievous damage during raids by Mongols. The old wooden buildings of the town were completely destroyed. As a result, in 1286 the city was effectively refounded by Leszek Czarny, under Magdeburg Law. The founding document is still preserved in the city archives.

After Polish lands were reunified in the 14th century, the former principality became the Sandomierz Voivodship, incorporating large areas of southeastern Poland. At this time Sandomierz had about 3000 inhabitants and was one of the larger Polish cities. In the middle of the 14th century the city was burned again during a raid by the Lithuanians. It was rebuilt during the rule of king Casimir the Great. The layout of the city has survived practically unchanged since that time until the present day.

The following three hundred years, running until the middle of the 17th century, were quite prosperous for the city. The most important historical buildings were built during this period. This golden age came to an end in 1655 when Swedish forces captured the city in the course of the Deluge, a dark period in the history of Poland. After briefly holding out in the city, the withdrawing Swedes blew up the castle and caused heavy damage to other buildings. In the next 100 years the economy of Poland suffered a decline, which also affected the city. A great fire in 1757 and the First Partition of Poland in 1772, which placed Sandomierz in Austria, further reduced its status. As a result Sandomierz lost its role as an administrative capital.

In 1809 the city was damaged during fighting between the forces of Austria and the Duchy of Warsaw during the Napoleonic Wars. After 1815 it found itself in the Russian Empire (Congress Poland). At this point it had just 2640 inhabitants.

The city again suffered damage during World War I. In 1918 it again became part of independent Poland. In the interwar years the city was proclaimed the capital of the Central Industrial Region, a major effort by Poland to develop its strategic industries. However, the project was cut by the outbreak of World War II, and the city did not become an industrial centre. In September, 1939, following the German invasion of Poland, the city was occupied by Germany and made part of the General Government. The Jewish population of the city, consisting of about 2,500 persons, perished during the Holocaust, mostly in the death camps of Belzec and Treblinka. The city was liberated by the Soviet army in August, 1944.

During the time when the city was part of communist People's Republic of Poland no major industrial development took place in Sandomierz, preserving it as a charming, small city full of historical monuments among unspoiled landscape. In 1999 the city became a county capital.

Castle

Pictures come from gorpol.pl and ga.com.pl

·
125,105 Posts
GENEVA [2] More Swiss City Scenes

Switzerland was the 3rd country I visited that day. However, I wasn't very tired. I walked for about 3 hours along the waterfront area and bumped into my roomate near the train station. Geneva is a small city so I wasn't surprised of this coincidence. The city has an interesting scenery mix. The waterfront shots depict Lake Geneva and the Alps in the background while there are river scenes and interesting architecture along the streets.

Part 1

6. The Floral Clock is probably among the most photographed places in Geneva .

10. A new tram roars by. Geneva's tram fleet is a mix of both these new ones and more traditional older rolling stock.

14. I will get soaked by Jet d'eau if I walk further down this path. I liked the swans swimming around in Lake Geneva, but the water was not as clear as what I saw in Vancouver last year.

·
125,105 Posts
BARCELONA [2] Av. Diagonal Street Scenes

I walked around many of Barcelona's streets to get a feel of the city. The Eixample district is laid out in a grid pattern, with wide tree-lined boulevards, Here are some from around Av. Diagonal, which has dedicated bicycle lanes separated from the vehicular traffic. It gives a very grand atmosphere.

Casa "Les Punxes"

Beautiful tree-lined bicycle lane

Related Thread
La Pedrera by Gaudi

·
125,105 Posts
BARCELONA [3] Casa Batlló

Casa Batlló, Gaudi's masterpiece, is a legend of art. The Modernist facade, which reflects the waves of a calm sea, hides of a whole world of surprises and architectural details. I find it to be the most unusual building I've ever seen. It looks so unconventional both inside and outside. It looks very modern, yet it is about a century old!

The original property was built between 1875 and 1877. In 1900 it was owned by Josep Batlló Casanovas, who commissioned Gaudi to demolish the existing building and build a new one. In 1904, the owner changed his mind and decide to refurbish it instead.

In this inner space, the lower floors have light blue tiling while the blue darkens in the upper floors.

The attics and chimneys are the most unusual features of the building. For the first time, they have opened the doors to the public.

More Barcelona!
Part 1 : La Pedrera by Gaudi
Part 2 : Av. Diagonal Street Scenes

·
Alphaist
5,055 Posts
Neue Anschlußwillige?

·
Dubaj mnie nie kręci
4,313 Posts
Lublin - Beautiful polish city from the banner

Lublin is the biggest city in eastern Poland and the capital of Lublin Voivodeship with a population of 355,954 (2004). It is Poland's ninth largest city.

Having approximately 400,000 inhabitants, Lublin is the largest city in eastern Poland and the capital of the Lubelskie Voivodship. Moreover, it is the administrative, economic and cultural centre of the Region. It is also one of the most important academic centres in Poland with the large educational potential and the scientific and researching base.

Thanks to its geographic localization Lublin is a border of the European Union as well as a platform of co-operation between countries of Eastern and Western Europe.

Lublin is an open city for internal and external investors – offering well qualified personnel, resources of inexpensive labour power, tax reductions and professional administrative assistance.

Geographical location latitude 51°21' north
longitude 22°21' east

Average height above sea level c. 200 m
Average annual temperature (in the past 8 years) 7,7° C
Rainfall (average for the past 8 years) c. 630 mm

Area of the city 147.5 sq.km.
including:
– built-up and urbanised land 43.7%
– farmland 38.7%
– forests 11.5%
– waters 2.9%

a mix of pictures:

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Looks really good, dziękuję :)

·
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪
Hui Wäller? Allemol!
2,620 Posts
Posen / Poznań + Krotoschin / Krotoszyn (2004)

Ein paar Ausgrabungen daheim gemacht, paar Bilder wiederentdeckt. Zwar schlechte Quali, aber um Eindrücke von der Stadt zu bekommen, reicht es. Stammen aus dem Jahre 2004. Fragt mich nicht nach Stadtteilnamen oder näheren Informationen, das weiß ich nicht mehr ;)

Bilder von Krotoszyn, einer Kleinstadt (30000 Ew) rund 100km südöstlich von Poznan, folgen später.

·
Cold Ass ******
2,550 Posts
Gute Zusammensatellung von alt und neu. :yes:
Schade nur, dass Du nur ein Foto vom "Stary Browar"-Einkaufszentrum gemacht hast. Das ist wirklich ein Vorzeigebeispiel wie man Ruinen wieder zum Leben erwecken kann. In diesem Fall ist es eine "Alte Brauerei", die zu einem (Kultur-)Einkaufszentrum umgebaut wurde.

HIGH QUALITY PICS - UNBEDINGT ANSCHAUEN

·
Another RussianDatingScam
308 Posts
Gränna - die Perle am See "Vättern"

Röttle liegt naturschön am See sudlich von Gränna.

Gränna ist bekannt als Zentrum für die Herstellung von Zuckerstangen, die in traditionell rot-weißer Färbung unter dem Namen Polkagris vertrieben werden, und für seine Obstplantagen.

Gränna-Brahestrasse (Per Brahe der Jüngere hat die Stadt gegründet)

Die Kirche von Gränna

Hier ist es möglich mit Euro zu bezahlen.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts