Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sandton in Johannesburg is now the undisputed financial hub of the country. Most of the international companies are located in this new mini CBD, and many new developments are going up all over the place. This is set to continue, as the new Gautrain (a high speed Rail link) will have a major station here.

Some pics taken on the streets...

The Johannesburg Stock exchange vacated its office in the Johannesburg CBD (about 20km away) in 1999 for its new home.

Seen from the back

Office space is highly sought after, and many bland buildings have been refurbished... Fredman Towers is one of them.

Discovery Health's head office, it is a medical aid company.

Attorneys

More Attorneys

Sandown towers, two new residential blocks in Sandton Drive

Construction (sandown towers)

Place on Sandton Drive - new home for luxury offices, and the US consulate

Sandton Towers hotel, built in 1993 - largest hotel in Johannesburg

Maude Street is starting to see a nice collection of midrange skyscrapers

Maude Street

the Michaelangelo Towers, luxury apartments, and a hotel. 35floors, completed in 2005

The view towards cbd from 5th street

On the streets, in fall

Fall in Johannesburg

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sandton Central

Banks, near the stock exchange

The new luxury apartment development, Hydro on Graystone (14Floors)

The Emperor luxury apartment block, 12F (completed 2006)

sunset towers under construction (13Floors)

Radisson's new hotel under construction (283 rooms, 20floors)

Lunch at village walk

Johannesburg has a lot of trees, and because of this various species of birds are quite happy here... Three hadedas in a car parking lot. these guys can make quite a racket, especially on sunday mornings!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice pictures. Funny, when I lived in Pretoria most of my friends were black (and, obviously, poorer) so we never really went to Sandton - we actually went to the CBD (and Soweto and such) to hang out... The only time I went to Sandton was with (white) co-workers and guests and such... Funny how it still works that way. Not that there's total separation - Sandton has black people. But the CBD typically doesn't have white people. Been a couple of years though... so maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
bunt_q; said:
Nice pictures. Funny, when I lived in Pretoria most of my friends were black (and, obviously, poorer) so we never really went to Sandton - we actually went to the CBD (and Soweto and such) to hang out... The only time I went to Sandton was with (white) co-workers and guests and such... Funny how it still works that way. Not that there's total separation - Sandton has black people. But the CBD typically doesn't have white people. Been a couple of years though... so maybe things have changed.
Welcome to South Africa, but i guess the main reason is that most black people like myself have a lot more friends and family people in Soweto than in the rich and expensive Sandton. So chances are when you go to Sandton, you will be going to shop once in a while. There are other shopping malls closer to where most black people live so why spend lots of money going to the Sandton unless you were going to buy a Luis Vuitton bag or Gucci jacket or treat your girlfriend to the expensive Haagen Daz ice cream for your 1st anniversary.

And the economic balance in SA is still largely tilted against blacks for historical reasons. However this is changing quickly. Consider the fact that 600,000 black people entered the middle class just last year alone pushing that figure to a total of 2,600,000. So yes so much is changing in Sunny SA, i bet when you come here in 2010 you wont recognize many things. By the way, you might also see a lot of white people in downtown Joburg too as things are changing fast there too. LOL

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Sandton City continues to go crazy with cranes (just on this side of the city, i can see 6 cranes)

another better picture of Sandton City, seen from the M1 highway. When Gautrain (SA's $3.5 billion Rapid Rail Transit system)
is complete, it will be possible to reach here in a 15 minute journey from the airport

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like the varied architecture, looks great. It's so sunny and clean, reminds me of some southern Californian city.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
HirakataShi; said:
How much on average do apartments rent for in Sandton? And what do condos cost on average?
Would say it starts from as little as $800 all the way to $6000 per month. But i used to rent a very lovely 2 bedroom loft apartment with a study and roof balcony overlooking the Sandton skyline within a walking distance from Sandton City Mall for about $900 around 2004/2005. I noticed lately some of the new developments with rental stock was around $1300 per month. Water and electricity are normally excluded but this would cost you roughly $15 and $50 respectively for lets say 2-3 people. I am sure you get the idea.

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice pictures. For someone that has never looked at a map of Johannesburg, can you tell me where Sandton is? Why is it becoming a new business district?
Johannesburg's traditional CBD is towards the south, approx 15km if you drive down the 3lane M1 highway. The traditional CBD has experienced severe capital flight since the late 1980's. There has been various factors that played a role in this, but a lot of businesses, including the stock exchange left. The mayor banks stayed behind, and they basically saved the CBD. Sandton became the new business centre - and in the next few years almost 200 000m2 of office space is up for construction.

The traditional CBD is making a comeback, and all the mining houses and banks are still in this area - like anglo-american, de beers, bhp billiton, absa, standard bank, fnb, nedbank. The Gauteng provincial government is also based in the cbd. And cheaper rentals in the cbd means many NGO's and smaller companies take advantage of this. Small hotels are reopening (after 2 mayor hotels, with more than 1000 rooms between the two of them closed in 1998). Sandton is 5star, luxury, opulence - and very pretentious in many ways.

The traditional CBD is getting back a vibe, it is clean and safe - but not as glam as sandton, and I don't think it ever will be. For pics regarding the Johannesburg CBD check out the johannesburg thread on this page.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Nice pictures. For someone that has never looked at a map of Johannesburg, can you tell me where Sandton is? Why is it becoming a new business district?
Jake1 pretty much summed everything up. Where i differ with him, is whether downtown Joburg can ever be as glamorous as Sandton, personally i think the city will most likely regain its rightful place, No world city can ever be complete without a proper downtown district irrespective of whether there are other satellite business districts.

Downtown Johannesburg is way too big to be simply neglected and written off and the current resurrection is testimony to the fact that ultimately, investors will flock back to downtown Johannesburg and authorities will ultimately pump more money into improving public areas, safety and security, roads, rail and other infrastructure and savvy investors who realize they can get high returns will ultimately drive the comeback. Right now, the sale of Carlton Centre (highest building in the city) by Transnet (state owned entity) will probably signal the height of activity in Johannesburg's comeback.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Snow is very rare in South Africa but on Wednesday it was reported in many parts of South Africa including Johannesburg. The last time there was snow was in 1981.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Why, what's wrong with the old CBD?
Why did businesses leave that area? Are there apartments there now?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
pallo; said:
Why, what's wrong with the old CBD?
Why did businesses leave that area? Are there apartments there now?
From 1990-2000 there was a capital flight from the area as businesses escaped the crime and grime that seemed to have captured downtown Johannesburg and headed to the north which resulted in places like Sandton booming. The city has since managed to improve safety and turn the situation around which is now resulting in the regeneration of the inner city.

Perhaps the best way to illustrate the misfortunes and fortunes of Johannesburg is the fact that Carlton center, the tallest building with around 50 floors in downtown Johannesburg was sold in 1999 for a mere $6 million, yesterday it was auctioned to a new investor who paid $200 million for this building.

By the way Pallo, conversion of what used to be offices to mixed-use properties and apartments is driving most of the regeneration
of the inner city. So there is loads of new apartments under construction in Joburg like this with coffee shops on the ground floor.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
xzmattzx; said:
Sorry to answer your question almost a month later. I was trying to find this one picture that shows Sandton relative to Johannesburg. If you look at the right hand edge of this picture, just past the red roof you will see a partial Skyline of what makes up downtown Sandton while the skyscrapers to be seen in the middle of the picture is Johannesburg. This highway (N1) which becomes M1 bypasses Sandton on the Western side first before getting to Johannesburg. From this its roughly a good 15 kilometers to Sandton and another 15 kilometers from Sandton to Johannesburg. The highway literally curves towards Sandton before it goes towards Joburg.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts