SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote may clear way for S.A. skyscraper

The proposed One Broadway Plaza office tower would be the tallest building ever built in Orange County.

Published: July 17, 2010 Updated: Aug. 21, 2013 1:17 p.m.

SANTA ANA – A skyscraping tower that would dwarf anything else in Santa Ana could be under construction by the end of the year if the City Council votes Monday to waive several long-standing conditions.

Those conditions have stymied developer Michael Harrah for more than five years. His proposed One Broadway Plaza tower, which would be the tallest building in Orange County history, is for now little more than a big idea and a big vacant lot. Harrah said he could break ground by November – if the city relaxes those development conditions for the project. He has the support of city planners and other staffers, who have asked the City Council to approve the changes he wants and clear the way for construction.

Santa Ana voters approved the One Broadway tower in 2005, after a well-funded campaign by Harrah. He handed out cigars on election night and predicted a "new age of urbanization and going vertical." One of the biggest hold-ups since then has been a requirement that Harrah get leases signed for at least half the space in his proposed tower before he begins construction. The city wrote that into his development agreement to make sure he could fill the tower.

Harrah said he has letters of intent, but not actual leases, for about 30 percent of the space in the tower. He declined to name the potential tenants but said they're "pretty big players." Construction of the proposed 37-story tower, on Broadway just north of downtown, would take around 24 months and employ some 2,900 workers, Harrah said. "It is, without a doubt, going to start our own stimulus package in Orange County," he said.

http://www.silostudios.com/customers/orange-county-web-design-one-broadway-plaza/

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
so I see the council approved and the papers are playing this as "desperate, retarded city council members destroy historic district for union jobs". Any truth to this?

I had wondered whether Santa Ana could become the first real DT in the OC since it is the most consistently rundown area and would welcome development money and not be concerned about the usual NIMBY issues.

·
Registered
425 Posts
"We will start construction In March 13. " replied Mike Harrah the developer of this 37 story tower, in a reply he sent to me. this is an awesome addition to Orange County, and Santa Ana.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its about time the OC receives a new county's-tallest. Enough with the edge-city type developments near South Coast Metro, it's time to support a real skyline.. what am I saying this will be a one-and-done type of development.. or will it

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hope for some more. It would be nice to have one good sized traditonal downtown (maybe Glendale or Pasadena sized) in the OC.
I agree. I'm still hoping for something to come out of the platinum triangle development near Angel Stadium, haven't heard any news lately about that. Saw the renders a couple years ago and it seemed to portray the area as a growing commercial hub. Renders will be renders..
:bash:

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,623 Posts
Construction Finally Begins on One Broadway Plaza!

By Gustavo Arellano Mon., Feb. 13 2012 at 10:00 AM

After years and years of shady dealings, bellowing promises, and more dirty money funneled toward the political process than stars in the sky, construction on the Freudian edifice known as One Broadway Plaza has officially begun.

The stunning development (the actual construction, not the building proposed by Mike Harrah) happened over the weekend, and the Weekly has an exclusive picture attesting to this.

[...]
*Work is permitted only for the foundations while the developer lines up financing and final permits: http://santaana.ocregister.com/2012/01/05/lack-of-financing-delays-one-broadway-permits/

·
Registered
687 Posts
I was thinking about swinging by this site tomorrow. However, I have no idea whether it will be worth it or not. I assume that the construction is in full swing and progress might be evident, but for all I know it may just be a hole in the ground.

I know we don't have any images, but has anybody heard how far along this project is?

·
Kelvin Cheng
472 Posts
I was thinking about swinging by this site tomorrow. However, I have no idea whether it will be worth it or not. I assume that the construction is in full swing and progress might be evident, but for all I know it may just be a hole in the ground.

I know we don't have any images, but has anybody heard how far along this project is?
I mean would be cool to get photos if you happen to be in DTSA, but otherwise don't waste your time and money driving out there to get photos. The latest things I could find are these:

5 days ago:
http://www.voiceofoc.org/oc_central/article_be9ed816-729f-11e1-add1-001871e3ce6c.html?mode=image
Harrah Selling Off Properties to Fund One Broadway Plaza

July 16, 2014
SANTA ANA – Mayor Miguel Pulido on Tuesday awarded a “William H. Spurgeon Pioneer Award” to Michael Harrah, a Santa Ana property owner who plans to build the 37-story One Broadway Plaza.

Construction could begin this year, according to the Caribou Industries website.

Throughout the years, Harrah has invested in the historic Santora building and the Original Mike’s property.
“He’s taken all these buildings, about 5 million square feet now, that used to be empty. They’re now all full and they’re doing very, very well,” Pulido added.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.