SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to all,
I noticed today that my own city is really underpresented in these forums, so I decided to post some pictures.

Info from SantaBarbarCa.com (city's official website):
Santa Barbara lies on the West Coast of the United States, 92 miles (148 km) north of Los Angeles and 332 miles (534 km) south of San Francisco. It is the largest city and the seat of Santa Barbara County, which covers 2,774 square miles. The Santa Ynez Mountains, which run along the east-west section of the Santa Barbara coast, serve as the boundary distinguishing “North County” (Buellton, Guadalupe, Lompoc, Los Alamos, Santa Maria, Santa Ynez, Solvang, and others) from “South County” (Carpinteria, Goleta, Montecito, Santa Barbara, and Summerland). While the South County cities and towns nestle in the Santa Ynez foothills on the shore of the Pacific Ocean, North County communities are located in higher-elevation inland mountain valleys.
The county is famous for its beautiful beaches, most of which lie along a unique south-facing stretch of coastline that affords beach visitors sun all day long and greater shelter from winds and surf than many other coastal beaches. But there’s far more here than beaches. The county encompasses enormously varied terrain: nearly one-third of its total acreage is set aside in the Los Padres National Forest, which includes the rugged San Rafael Wilderness Area. Santa Barbara County’s topographical diversity creates a huge variety of outdoor recreational opportunities in a relatively compact area.

Maybe no skyscrapers but still a true American beauty, one of the most beautiful cities in USA (hopefully, no one will be offended for that remark):

Some random pictures:

Legendary Rincon Beach - surfer's Jerusalem:

Solvang - little Denmark:

Santa Ynez - the wine country:

Regards,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the remarks, guys. By the way, if some of the pictures do not show up, please right-click and save the path from Properties and paste it to a different browser. Also, if any one has any other pictures to show and share, I will appreciate it, as this is the first active Santa Barbara thread here.

Some street pictures due to request (I will try to find (or get by myself) the Acapulco restaurant pictures asap):

Mission Santa Barbara:

Famous residents of Santa Barbara:

Brad Pitt (periodically in Summerland), Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Dennis Miller, Matt Le Blanc, Michael Jordan (periodically, only during the Fiesta)

To be continued,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
More pictures:

Beaches:

Some local beach bums - a common sight in SB beaches:

SB Polo and Racquet Club - US' best:

UCSB:

Jet-set of Santa Barbara (from Santa Barbara jet owners party in summer 2004) - Santa Barbara has one of the highest per capita private helicopter/airplane owners in the world:

Regards,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@ Palal,
That was my mistake, I am sorry, I cleaned it all. Santa Barbara also has a small tourist wagon system from Stearns Wharf along the State Street, and they use the old-modified SF-style cars. In fact, this is one of the main tourist attractions. However, the guy who posted this picture on the internet probably thought that was one of those cars (you can check the link on right click and properties and confirm that he thought it was Santa Barbara, and so did I, as old SF-style cars is a common sight in SB).

But all the other pictures are safely Santa Barbara, please don't try to claim also our sea lions, as you might think that those might be some of the ones in Piers of SF. No, those are truly Southern Californian sea lions, they belong to us:)

More pictures and info:

Known as "The Queen of the Missions," Mission Santa Bárbara in California was founded on December 4, 1786 by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén, who had taken over the Presidency of the California mission chain upon the death of Father Junípero Serra. It was the tenth mission founded, and was named for Barbara.

The mission sits on a rise overlooking both the City of Santa Barbara and the Pacific Ocean; the Santa Ynez Mountains rise almost 4,000 feet in back. During the first few years, there were three churches built, each larger than the previous one. It was only after the great 1812 earthquake, which destroyed the previous buildings, that the current mission was begun. The towers again sustained considerable damage in a 1925 earthquake, but were subsequently rebuilt. The appearance of the inside of the church has not been altered since 1820.

Many elements of the Mission's extensive water treatment system, all built by Indian labor (including aqueducts, two reservoirs, and a filter house) remain to this day, as does a grain mill; the larger reservoir, which was built in 1806, has been incorporated into the city's water system. The original fountain and lavadero are also intact near the entrance to the Mission. A dam constructed in 1807 is situated in the current Santa Barbara Botanic Garden up "Mission Canyon." The Mission's tanning vats, pottery kiln, and guard house all lay in ruins to this day.

Mission Santa Bárbara is the only mission to remain under the leadership of the Franciscan Friars since the day of its founding until today. The Mission also has the oldest unbroken tradition of choral singing among the California Missions and, indeed, of any California institution. The weekly Catholic liturgy is serviced by two choirs, the California Mission Schola and the Cappella Barbara, both under the direction of composer Keith Paulson-Thorp. The Mission archives contain one of the richest collections of colonial Franciscan music manuscripts known today. These manuscripts remain closely guarded and most have not yet been subjected to scholarly analysis.

The original City of Santa Barbara developed between the Mission proper and the harbor, specifically near the old Spanish Presidio, about a mile southeast of the Mission. As the city grew it extended throughout the coastal plain; a residential area now surrounds the mission, although there are public parks and a few public buildings (such as the Natural History Museum) in the area immediately adjacent to the Mission.

The Mission Santa Bárbara today continues to serve the city as a parish church.

Oil platforms off the coast of Santa Barbara:

Oil rigs from the distance at night:

Dolphins off the coast-Santa Barbara:

Channel Islands - National Park of Santa Barbara-Ventura area:

Daily boats approaching from Santa Barbara to Channel Islands:

Santa Barbara marina:

Whale watching - one of the main attractions for tourists - they give you full refund if you can't spot a gray whale on a half day trip:

Regards,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some additional pictures:

Stearns Wharf:

Granada Theater:

Mission Santa Barbara:

Street cafes along Paseo Nuevo:

The Madonnari Italian Street Painting Festival of the Santa Barbara Mission:

Santa Barbara Harbour:

Sunrise from the Stearns Wharf (here is a local Santa Barbara tip for all you guys, everyone in Santa Barbara brought a girlfriend to watch the sunrise at least once)

Now the Sunset in Santa Barbara-Stearns Wharf:

Sunrise in Montecito-Santa Barbara:

Local resident on the Wharf:

Bush is not very popular in Santa Barbara, as you might have guessed:

Montecito mansions (Montecito, a small town outside Santa Barbara, has historically been one of the most desirable hideouts for the rich and famous looking to escape from Los Angeles. Oprah Winfrey, who spent $50 million on a Montecito estate a couple years ago, is just one of many celebrities that keep a retreat in Santa Barbara. )

Most famous resident of Santa Barbara - Michael Jackson and his Neverland Ranch:

Another shot from UCSB campus:

Regards,

·
Registered
574 Posts
Maybe it is time for Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark to be invited to visit SB and Solvang.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wow, awesome photos!
Q: Whats the islands offshore (from the photo from the mountains looking over the city) called?
Q: What is the population of SB?

BTW, what a location for a uni! Hate to be paying those fees!

·
1,652 Posts
SB is a very good looking city, I think if it put high rises in it would ruin the already beautiful landscape.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Q Tip,
The islands right across are Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa (from the Channel Islands National Park). No settlements on the islands. Here is a map:

Population info from Wikipedia:

As of the census2 of 2000, there are 92,325 people, 35,605 households, and 18,941 families residing in the city. The population density is 1,878.1/km² (4,865.3/mi²). There are 37,076 housing units at an average density of 754.2/km² (1,953.8/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 74.04% White, 1.77% African American, 1.07% Native American, 2.77% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 16.37% from other races, and 3.85% from two or more races. 35.02% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

I will post more pictures from time to time to this thread.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts