SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 1214 Posts

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
Could be. Not a Fortune 100 US company, but would it be if it were a US company. Seems odd that they would be pursuing a very large lease in Santa Clara even after getting approvals for building on Brokaw.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here are a couple of photos I took over the weekend of the Milpitas BART station under construction. You can see the Capitol light-rail station in the distance.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not yet set that it is GOOG. It is very probable but I think it is still heresay. I would very much welcome it though. Better than MSFT or Apple.

This project has been confirmed by ThinkBiggerSJ as Google :cheers::banana:

Welcome to San Jose, Googlers! Now you and Samsung can truly become best of buddies, as the two of you will be anchoring the southern end and northern end, respectively, of SJ's tech sector in North 1st. Long live Android! F Apple!

·
Banned
416 Posts
anyone know what is address for new Apple building in Cupertino (not Campus 2). It's glass building standing next to Junipero Serra Fwy ?

Ok just found it.
HYW 280 & Steven Creek Cupertino

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
anyone know what is address for new Apple building in Cupertino (not Campus 2). It's glass building standing next to Junipero Serra Fwy ?

Ok just found it.
HYW 280 & Steven Creek Cupertino
An interesting question.

Highway 280 is a freeway and will have no addresses on it. The new "blue" Apple building is behind the Woodcrest Hotel, which is on Stevens Creek Blvd. in the city of Santa Clara.

But the entrance to the blue building (along with the other local Apple buildings) is probably on Tantau Ave., around the corner. So I am guessing that its address is on Tantau in Cupertino.

My recollection is that all the existing buildings were in Cupertino, but the parking lot (which is probably where the blue building was built) was in Santa Clara. But I would still guess that they will use a Tantau Ave. address.

Sorry for the useless answer!

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...cking-up-new-property-even-as-its.html?page=3

Apparently Apple will be building ANOTHER oval blue building next to the just completed one at Tantau and Stevens Creek. This will be 9 stories, I assume replacing one of the several low-rise buildings already there. Gotta be exciting news for Peter Pau and his retail/residential property across the street.

Also lots of Apple leases in Sunnyvale, etc.

Permanent shoring permits have been pulled for the Spaceship. I guess it's time to do some serious digging.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2014/03/tickets-earthquakes-match-levis®-stadium-sale-friday

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Tickets to the San Jose Earthquakes’ match against Seattle Sounders FC at Levi’s® Stadium will go on sale to the general public Friday, March 14 at 10 a.m. The game marks the inaugural event at the San Francisco 49ers’ new stadium on Saturday, Aug. 2. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. PT on NBC Sports.

The first game at Levi's stadium will actually be an Earthquakes game against Seattle. I wonder how many Earthquakes games will be played there, looks like the game against LA will be on June 28th at Stanford stadium, though, and the next one is on 9/14 at noon at buck shaw stadium. So I'm not sure how often they will play there.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I looked through the thread and couldn't find anything about the project "The Village in San Antonio Center" which is one of the few significant apartment building projects in all of Mountain View.

The only article I could find was dated:
http://www.losaltosonline.com/news/sections/news/43756-J45303

The apartments and Safeway and Starbucks and a few other places, like Pacific Catch are there, and one of the things I like about this development is the abundance of outdoor seating. There is a dog park above the water line (one of the water pipelines goes underneath), and there is outdoor seating around it, and some weird dog inspired sculptures.

I really wish other areas in the Peninsula and South Bay had more outdoor seating.

Phase 2 is still not under construction it seems.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
101 Lytton Avenue, one of the few new construction projects in downtown Palo Alto is about to be completed, they just got an exception to signage rules in Palo Alto:

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2014/05/01/sign-exceptions-approved-for-lytton-gateway

Sign exceptions approved for 'Lytton Gateway'
Prominent building near downtown Caltrain station the latest Palo Alto development to win approval for signs

The Lytton Gateway building that will soon open at the intersection of Alma Street and Lytton Avenue in Palo Alto became on Thursday the latest in a wave of projects to receive permission from the city to exceed sign regulations.

The building, which will be occupied Survey Monkey, the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce and Blue Bottle Coffee, will feature a total of 12 signs, four of which violate existing regulations. On Thursday morning, the signage received the unanimous blessing of the city's Architectural Review Board.

In receiving approval, 101 Lytton Ave. joins other local developments such as the Grocery Outlet, Tesla Motors and Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, all of which recently received approval for signs that exceed regulations. In the case of Lytton Gateway, a four-story building next to the downtown Caltrain station, the exceptions were required because the proposed signs were in some cases too large and, on other cases, to be located above awnings (city regulations require signs to be below the building's awnings).

The 12 signs include the main Survey Monkey logo, which will be featured on the building's elevation tower facing Alma Street and illuminated with internal LED lights. Three other Survey Monkey signs will be featured on the Lytton Avenue side of the tower, above the main entry door and above an awning.

The other project there recently was affordable housing on Alma that is kind of ugly.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Most of you have probably already seen this article, but I'll go ahead and link it here anyways.

Silicon Valley's fastest-growing cities for 2014: Sleepers gain on big names

Campbell, Milpitas, Foster City, Morgan Hill and Redwood City were the five fastest-growing cities from 2013 to 2014 when ranked by percentage change in population, according to a Business Journal analysis of California Department of Finance data. San Jose, Milpitas and Campbell came out on top when sorting by the raw number of residents added to each city over the past year.

Full article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2014/05/12/silicon-valleys-fastest-growing-cities-for-2014.html?page=all

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Most of you have probably already seen this article, but I'll go ahead and link it here anyways.

Silicon Valley's fastest-growing cities for 2014: Sleepers gain on big names

Full article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2014/05/12/silicon-valleys-fastest-growing-cities-for-2014.html?page=all
Campbell growing 4% kind of surprised me, given that I've heard of no real projects coming up there, or seen anything, then I realized it must be the annexation that didn't go to San Jose, and yeah, the article says as much, San Jose growing 1.7% means it went up about 17k, which is probably the biggest gain in absolute terms in the Bay Area. Foster City was surprising, it looks like there was one apartment complex that probably came online last year, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline, so I guess that is it for them for a while. From birth and death rates alone California should grow about 1% a year, but of course there is in migration and out migration. Though I think most cities don't even grow 1% a year. If we continue on this course in 10 years we will be close to 1.2M for San Jose, but I imagine the economy will slow down at some point, since 2010 we have gone from recovery to boom.

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
Year to year numbers are too short to draw conclusions from. As you note, for the smaller towns a couple of large housing developments coming on-line skews the numbers. Better to look at 5 or 10 year numbers.

In general, not too many surprises: Santa Clara and Alameda Counties grew the fastest. The others a bit behind.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Unbelievable the amount of office space being proposed. This one sounds a little peculiar. Build in phases and complete it in 2015? It'll be 2014 in about 2 weeks so they've got 2 years to build multiple phases?

Cutting from 14 stories to 6-8 makes sense in my view. I've never seen much demand for taller than that.

It's not really that close to Levi's Field so I'm not sure why that is even mentioned. The Joe Montana project near Levi's is mostly hotel and residential so they won't compete much, but the huge projects proposed by Related will bring a lot more office on-line in SC. Plus the North SJ projects.
Is this project under construction, I took 101 back from Palo Alto a few days ago, and it seemed like they might be pile driving for Phase I already. Honestly I'm a little disappointed by this project, it looks exactly like their other project, phase I for Santa Clara Gateway is 3 6-story buildings, this is 2 6-story and 1 8-story building, the design of the buildings looks almost identical, they have both by the same builder.

Granted with this project, Santa Clara Gateway, which is another 900000 sqft, the Apple spaceship 2.8M sqft, and the 2M Peery-Arrillaga complex in San Jose, the almost 600000sqft LinkedIn complex in Sunnyvale, it is pretty obvious that the center of Silicon Valley is moving south from Palo Alto/Mountain View vicinity, the peninsula has a few projects, but nothing anywhere near as large. Even projects in Palo Alto seem tiny in comparison, like 101 Lytton. But I guess that makes sense, the peninsula is pretty much all built up and so they are taking a few older industrial areas to build up (and the old parking lot in Redwood City), but unless they go tall, they probably can't compete with these large projects down here.

The new Facebook expansion may be something though, that would be something to talk about in the SMCo projects thread.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/...n-Expansion/story.xhtml?story_id=031003SF5XER

LinkedIn Proposes Expansion in Hometown

May 12, 2014 9:30AM

The latest Silicon Valley building boom may come from LinkedIn, which is seeking multiple office buildings that could total 2.6 million square feet and employ up to 13,000 new workers in Mountain View. Most of the office space would be developed on two adjacent parcels of land. The rest would be on a third parcel a short distance away.

Professional networking site LinkedIn is proposing to add office space in its hometown in Silicon Valley, a newspaper reported.
The company and a developer have submitted paperwork to city officials in Mountain View for multiple office buildings that could total 2.6 million square feet and employ up to 13,000 new workers, The Oakland Tribune reported on Wednesday (http://bit.ly/1sr1CQw ).

"This would be a major increase in LinkedIn's presence in Mountain View," said Terry Blount, the city's planning manager.

Blount estimated the company currently occupies about 767,000 square feet in Mountain View.

The proposal comes as LinkedIn has inked other expansion deals. The company signed a lease last month for a 26-story, 450,000-square-foot office tower in San Francisco. The building in the city's South of Market neighborhood is expected to be completed by 2016.

Okay, I'm going to say it, WTF, Shoreline exit off 85/101 already backs up for 10-15 minutes, and in the afternoon getting from Crittenden or Steirlin is already a mess and LinkedIn wants to expand there? I have heard no plans for mitigating traffic, and hoping that more Google employees take the shuttle is not the best idea. Google is already contemplating setting up a park and ride on the other side of 101, I am not even joking.

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
Is this project under construction, I took 101 back from Palo Alto a few days ago, and it seemed like they might be pile driving for Phase I already. Honestly I'm a little disappointed by this project, it looks exactly like their other project, phase I for Santa Clara Gateway is 3 6-story buildings, this is 2 6-story and 1 8-story building, the design of the buildings looks almost identical, they have both by the same builder.

Granted with this project, Santa Clara Gateway, which is another 900000 sqft, the Apple spaceship 2.8M sqft, and the 2M Peery-Arrillaga complex in San Jose, the almost 600000sqft LinkedIn complex in Sunnyvale, it is pretty obvious that the center of Silicon Valley is moving south from Palo Alto/Mountain View vicinity, the peninsula has a few projects, but nothing anywhere near as large. Even projects in Palo Alto seem tiny in comparison, like 101 Lytton. But I guess that makes sense, the peninsula is pretty much all built up and so they are taking a few older industrial areas to build up (and the old parking lot in Redwood City), but unless they go tall, they probably can't compete with these large projects down here.

The new Facebook expansion may be something though, that would be something to talk about in the SMCo projects thread.
Clearly, the buildings will be run of the mill (which usually means not interesting architecturally, but at least with amenities).

Generally, you have it right. Lots more space and lots more population growth in South Bay and southern Alameda County and land is cheaper; hard to argue with that combination.

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
Also posted in "Bay Area Sports Centre" thread.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business...expected-spur-office-retail-hotel-development

A brief summary of what’s going down in NSJ and Santa Clara. Would have been a lot better with some timeline or discussion of what stage they’re in.

A couple of problems with their theories that Levi’s Stadium is driving the development:

1. Development along 237 has been heavy for a decade.
2. Some of the development is quite remote; closer to the airport or Quakes Stadium than to Levi’s
3. Do they really believe that Google, Samsung, Ericsson, etc., make their location decisions based on stadiums?

I would say that legitimately projects 6, 7, 8 and 9 are substantially affected by the stadium, either due to an actual economic connection, or because it helps to define and publicize the area. The others are much more connected to the boom in tech, good transit and freeways, city policies, availability of land, population growth and such.

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...all-vallco-may-be-best-hope-for.html?page=all

A lengthy recent history of Vallco. The big news is that it looks like Peter Pau may have beaten out Apple and the Santana Row people in buying Vallco. This would be about 64 acres (including land within the mall owned by Macy’s, etc.) immediately across the freeway from Apple’s Campus 2. Pau is also busily putting up Main St. Cupertino about 100 yds. to the east, stretching all the way to Tantau).

The prevailing view seems to be tear it down, although the department stores have to be dealt with. The mayor seems on-board to change zoning to mixed office, retail and housing. Given the money in Cupertino, I would assume some number of pricey condos.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Also posted in "Bay Area Sports Centre" thread.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business...expected-spur-office-retail-hotel-development

A brief summary of what’s going down in NSJ and Santa Clara. Would have been a lot better with some timeline or discussion of what stage they’re in.

A couple of problems with their theories that Levi’s Stadium is driving the development:

1. Development along 237 has been heavy for a decade.
2. Some of the development is quite remote; closer to the airport or Quakes Stadium than to Levi’s
3. Do they really believe that Google, Samsung, Ericsson, etc., make their location decisions based on stadiums?

I would say that legitimately projects 6, 7, 8 and 9 are substantially affected by the stadium, either due to an actual economic connection, or because it helps to define and publicize the area. The others are much more connected to the boom in tech, good transit and freeways, city policies, availability of land, population growth and such.
I agree with this sentiment, before the Irvine Co construction there America Center had started construction in 2008 the recession as a spec project and it took a while to fill up but once Polycom and Flextronics moved in the spec market quickly heated up again, Brocade HQ was also being built in 2008, these were probably planned significantly before then, at the time putting the stadium in Santa Clara was just an idea.

I think the hotel and retail development make more sense to attribute to the stadium, since people would be there, but office development has been moving there for a while.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...king-lot-santa-clara-hotel-development-051214

Report: Montana, 49ers at odds over land near Levi's Stadium

It's hard to imagine the Bay Area's love affair with Joe Montana ever ending in divorce. But the way the past few months have gone with the 49ers legend, we may see just how much give their relationship holds.

A week after a report surfaced that Montana and his business dealings were caught up in a federal corruption sting that landed a politician, a notorious mobster and others in jail, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the famed QB's business dealings are again making news, and this time the issue is hitting much closer to home.

The Chronicle on Sunday reported that Montana and the 49ers are at odds over land adjacent to the team's new stadium, with the team threatening to block their beloved QB's project unless the city of Santa Clara can resolve the problem.

The deal Montana and his partners struck with Santa Clara reportedly went down within the last few weeks and gave Montana rights to land to develop into a $400 million development project that includes a hotel, offices and a restaurant named after Montana. However, according to the new report in the Chronicle, the 49ers claim their 2012 stadium deal with the city grants them rights to part of the land brokered in Montana's development deal, and that land is set to be used for 789 parking spots for Levi's Stadium, set to open in August.

The parking issue with the stadium seems to be a sticking point again, the city of Santa Clara has contemplated moving the soccer fields, but it seems that their previous recommendations were on the land being sold for the development as well. The biggest issue for them is that if this project does not get built by the Superbowl it will mean a lot of potential lost revenue. Hotel tax and sales tax would be big especially on the days leading up to the Superbowl.

Given the popularity of the hotel space for the games, I'm surprised they haven't considered increasing the hotel tax a bit.

181 - 200 of 1214 Posts