SkyscraperCity banner

1161 - 1176 of 1176 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can't find any articles about it, but the county installed new signs on both sides of the County Government Center building at 70 W Hedding. The brutalist architechure may not be for everyone, but I think the signs look really cool! They are highly visible from the 87 freeway and definitely add to the skyline.

·
Landscape Architect
195 Posts
I can't find any articles about it, but the county installed new signs on both sides of the County Government Center building at 70 W Hedding. The brutalist architechure may not be for everyone, but I think the signs look really cool! They are highly visible from the 87 freeway and definitely add to the skyline.

Ah interesting signs.

I believe this is an example of "post modern" architecture which followed and overlapped the brutalist period.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Such signage on high rise buildings is very suburban in look and feel. Not something that should be encouraged on landmark buildings in SJ.

·
Registered
17,224 Posts
Vallco wins: Massive Cupertino development can proceed, judge rules

Good news. That place has been an eyesore too long.

Btw, doesn't this seems useless to you? Didn't you say we are in a long-term depression that is basically going to wipe out America industry, retail, property values, etc? Who would develop property in such a climate?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Didn't you say we are in a long-term depression that is basically going to wipe out America industry, retail, property values, etc? Who would develop property in such a climate?
I made one comment recently in the SJ thread about local entrepreneurs vs investor-backed retail. I don't recall making a statement like what you're suggesting.

Anyway, I'm personally happy that the NIMBYs, posing as if they were looking out for Cupertino, got pushed back upon by a judge; their kind of incoherent strawmanning against projects that offend their sensibilities has been a blight upon the county. And I feel this way regardless of if SandHill goes forward with the project.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ah interesting signs.

I believe this is an example of "post modern" architecture which followed and overlapped the brutalist period.
The county building is not post modern, a movement which started as a backlash against cold modernism by adding back non-structural decorative elements to buildings. The Fairmont is a prime example of post-modernism. One of the main critiques of post modernism is that if done sloppily, they tend to look like theme park buildings.

In contrast....
The Santa Clara County building is classic international style modernism with a touch of Structural Expressionism.

·
1,207 Posts
With the announcement of a firm opening date of BART in Milpitas and San Jose, I decided to create a video of the station as I'm sure not many people will see or experience it for the time being. I will do Berryessa BART station soon enough and that will be posted in the San Jose development thread. Cheers guys!

·
1,207 Posts

The pedestrian bridge from Milpitas BART to Piper Drive/Great Mall has some news.

The span will be hoisted above the roadway later this summer, most likely in late July or early August.

BART passenger service is estimated to begin June 13, with the overcrossing making its opening debut closer to the winter holiday shopping season.
Source: The Giant Steel Truss Has Landed | VTA

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
1161 - 1176 of 1176 Posts