SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I wish instead of demolishing Sarajka and building some giant bank they'd scale the bank back and create a nice baroque central city square.. with a statue of Gazi Husrev-beg or Husein kapetan or someone.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boycie said:
Damn, I know that Bosnians are 'slow starters' ;) but downtown seems very deserted in those early hours, even for the local standards. A very nice collection btw.
It is a nice collection, I like the choices the photographer made; should've included an Orthodox church for Yugoboy, though. ;) As for it being deserted - what can you expect - Sarajevo isn't Chicago. ;) *cmok*

Ledeni said:
I wish instead of demolishing Sarajka and building some giant bank they'd scale the bank back and create a nice baroque central city square.. with a statue of Gazi Husrev-beg or Husein kapetan or someone.
I think they should do what was proposed a few years ago; it was before I was involved here, I would've noted the name if I'd know I'd bring it up. But this architect had a few designs posted in the paper. It was basically an enormously wide bridge across the Miljacka. I'd say at least 10-15 normal car lanes wide. But it wasn't a bridge for cars, it had a fountain on it, chairs, news stands, etc. It was like a square right above the river where Obala Kulina Bana passes Strosmajerova. Looked beautiful to me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
He was so close in the Picture of "Multicultural man builds the world" Statue! LOL. Anyways Great pictures, Once Aagain! :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Excellent panorama DaMila. :yes:
The thing that I really like about the commies are that they have really good potential. What I mean is they are well placed around, and with some new paint, it'll all look really great.
I'd really like to get someone who is good at Photoshop, and make all the buildings newly painted, to see what it'll look like. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, Sarajevo looks really dense. What is that big, grey building with no pain or glass =S, was it a casulty of the war? It stands out in that pic...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
KhApZ! said:
Wow, Sarajevo looks really dense. What is that big, grey building with no pain or glass =S, was it a casulty of the war? It stands out in that pic...

I agree. Sarajevo is probably one of the most dense cities in Europe. :yes:
As for the building that doesn't have any paint of glass, it is the Parliament. It is a sad sight to see, but that's all about to change this summer. Reconstruction of the Parliament is going to start this summer, and the first phase has already been finished. That is the old facade was taken away.
The building was really impressive before the war. Not the tallest building, now made fully of glass, but a nice and simple addition to the skyline. :)
There have been talks of making the Parliament of glass facade, and that seems to be the plan. I'm pretty sure that the reconstruction will finish by 2008. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ God I hope they make it glass. People don't realize how massive this building is. I don't know how tall it is, or what it's measurements are...but whether it's an effect of the shape, or whatever the reasons behind it...that building is just massive. A glass fascade on that would be gorgeous! But then the lower parts, the current parliament building, wouldn't match, so they'd have to rebuild that as well?

Knowing the Bosnian government, instead of re-doing something that's already been repaired, they'll just repair the building's old fascade completely. But we'll see. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is how it looked before the war:

Here is how it looked after the war:

Here is how it looks after the first stage of reconstruction:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you...nice public transport btw (3rd pic at the bottom)
So I am guesing it might be rebuilt in the same style as the facade of the bottom part of the building?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
ĐaMila said:
^ God I hope they make it glass. People don't realize how massive this building is. I don't know how tall it is, or what it's measurements are...but whether it's an effect of the shape, or whatever the reasons behind it...that building is just massive. A glass fascade on that would be gorgeous! But then the lower parts, the current parliament building, wouldn't match, so they'd have to rebuild that as well?

Knowing the Bosnian government, instead of re-doing something that's already been repaired, they'll just repair the building's old fascade completely. But we'll see. :)

I'm actually pretty sure that the building is going to be glass. I think I read something about it around that a shipment of glass had been donated from Greece, so that the Parliament could be reconstructed. We'll see what happens, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
KhApZ! said:
Sarajevo would be even more interesting if they had glass high-rises contrasting the turkish quarter IMO

Sarajevo already has the UNIS twins that are both 95 meters in hight, and I think the Parliment would also be a great addition. Either way it looks, when finished, it'll be GREAT. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts