SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Skopje is certainly one of my least favorite cities in the Balkan region. It doesn't really give off any type of "flare" to the people, indicating it is special. Some of the areas are VERY poorly kept, and that is a shame to see. I am fully aware of the HUGE earthquake a while back, but isn't that plenty of time to get some nice buildings going? :dunno:

Anway's...I really hope someone joins the forum from Macedonia, to proove my negative thoughts about Skopje around. :yes:

:cheers1:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Does anyone have any Macedonian friend that they can contact, and tell us a little more about the country, some photos, anything? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing I remember most about Macedonia was the attitude towards conflict, Timur & Yugoboy...in general, I mean, not a specific view of any aspect of our war.

They remind me of Italians in Macedonia. "So, it's shit? Well, then it's shit. What's crying going to go? What's fighting going to do? Still shit, and less to enjoy it. So sit back."

;) Love their attitude.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Mila said:
The thing I remember most about Macedonia was the attitude towards conflict, Timur & Yugoboy...in general, I mean, not a specific view of any aspect of our war.

They remind me of Italians in Macedonia. "So, it's shit? Well, then it's shit. What's crying going to go? What's fighting going to do? Still shit, and less to enjoy it. So sit back."

;) Love their attitude.

Yes, smart attitudes towards war, but IF something goes wrong, it's clear they won't be ready. I mean, let's say someone is dropping bombs on them, what are they going to say? "What's fighting going to do? Still shit, and less to enjoy it. So sit back." :D Well, I'm sure they'll win that war. ;) :lol:

·
Strength and Honour
2,324 Posts
such a beautiful city!

·
Registered
572 Posts
^ :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The same way Slovenia did. :) The war only took place, in a severe sense, in areas - outside of Serbia - where large numbers of Serbs lived. Slovenia and Macedonia's Serbian populations were so small that there was no one to fight them. The Serbian Army did still attack Slovenia, but was driven away in 10 days.

There was, however, a similar problem in Macedonia with the Albanian minority. Things became very tense for a short time, but Macedonia handled it in a mature, humane way - and the two sides have found a peace that is acceptible to both.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ I should mention, there are of course still significant tensions. I would compare Skopje to Mostar in the sense that it is a city divided. You have the central, downtown core as a sort of utopian, ethnic/religiously mixed buffer zone - but the south end of the city is Christian, and fairly strict, and the north end - the "Old town" district - is Muslim; either Slavic or Albanian. These two groups are divided as well. So on the Muslim side of the town you have an east and west side, the larger being the East side - which is Albanian.

Of course it never actually seems this bad because the Macedonians have held on to a sense of civility. You simply can't say or do things there that you could do in Belgrade, Zagreb, and Sarajevo in the early 1990s. It's not socially acceptible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sure Skoplje is charming city, but I'm not too keen on it...the old part is nice, but commie part isn't exeacly "beautifull".
But again, it's capital city of one country, and I'm sure it will be nice, big city one day ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mila said:
The same way Slovenia did. :) The war only took place, in a severe sense, in areas - outside of Serbia - where large numbers of Serbs lived. Slovenia and Macedonia's Serbian populations were so small that there was no one to fight them. The Serbian Army did still attack Slovenia, but was driven away in 10 days.

There was, however, a similar problem in Macedonia with the Albanian minority. Things became very tense for a short time, but Macedonia handled it in a mature, humane way - and the two sides have found a peace that is acceptible to both.
I thought it was because Macedonia is Orthodox Christian country and Serbs couldnt fight against another fellow Christian Orthodox country.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
^ Well there are tensions there. The Macedonians as we speak are trying to rid themselves of what they call "implants", which are Priests from the Serbian Orthodox Church. Now, how different they were in the past - who knows, you'd have to compare them. But in terms of wishing to go foreward with a distinct Macedonian Orthodox Church, this is their goal at the time. All of this has little to do with the war, though, developed years later and probably would've come after communism fell even if it did so peacefully.

And as for not wishing to hurt their Orthodox brothers and sisters, California - Milosevic committed many terrible acts against Serbs, even within Serbia; the population there certainly didn't rise up against him for our sake. ;) As for the soldiers - tell me, how could the soldiers on the hills around Sarajevo tell who was Serbian and who was not before they fired their sniper rifles, or launched a shell. You would feel sick to your stomach to know how many innocent Serbs in Vuckovar, Sarajevo, Mostar, Bihac, etc, etc, etc were killed by their own nationalists.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You people are straying off topic! No need to talk about the past in this interesting topic:)

Great pictures Mila, i'll dig up some from webshots that i can find!

I'm not so sure how to do that Mila, making them smaller so you just click on them.

1 - 20 of 289 Posts