1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
101,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S'wak To Have Biggest Convention Centre

S'wak To Have Biggest Convention Centre
March 04, 2005 13:00 PM

KUCHING, March 4 (Bernama) -- Sarawak's biggest convention centre, with a sitting capacity for 5,000 people, is expected to be built by early next year.

Second Resource Management and Planning Minister Datuk Awang Tengah Ali Hassan said the centre, to be strategically located here, would be undertaken by the private sector.

The land for the centre had been identified and approved, he told reporters after opening the "Sarawak Career and Education Exhibition" here Friday.

Awang Tengah said the centre would meet the growing demand from education institutions in the state to host education exhibitions to woo students.

The centre could also be used for international conferences, he added.

-- BERNAMA

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,127 Posts
baqthier said:
oooh..i hope it's a design by Hijjas Kasturi. He did lots in Sarawak :)
he did?? i don't know any of them......

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,127 Posts
baqthier said:
He did South and North Kuching's city hall. He also did UITM Sarawak and some others ;)
wah!! got pics??:D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Toyad Appointed Chairman Of Sarawak Convention Centre

MUKAH, (Sarawak) March 24 (Bernama) -- Former Tourism Minister Datuk Leo Michael Toyad has been appointed as first chairman of the Sarawak Exhibition and Convention Centre.

Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud said, Toyad's experience as Deputy Foreign Minister and Tourism Minister, was important in ensuring the success of the convention centre to be built in Kuching.

"Now that Toyad does not hold any position except as Member of Parliament, I will not let him rest as we still need his service," he said in his speech at the official opening of a seminar and expo on Sarawak's cottage industry here Friday.

Taib said the convention centre which was capable of accommodating 5,000 participants at a time, would be another catalyst to the future development and progress of the state.

The RM300 million centre to be located in Menara Kuching at Kuching Isthmus, is expected to be ready within three to four years and is poised to become another new landmark for Sarawak.

Besides the centre, a five-star 39-storey hotel and suite, with 315 luxury rooms, will also be built at Menara Kuching.

-Bernama

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
fairul said:
heheh..maybe biggest in Sarawak or the whole borneo..at the moment Sabah dont have a convention center..so i assume its the whole Borneo then
We do have convention centre here in KK but of course lah...not big... :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Does Sarawak, Kuching in particular really need it though??? Maybe... I'm not sure..

·
Registered
416 Posts
YES! We got the tallest and the biggest building in Borneo island in the future. Kuching BOLEH!

Meanwhile, we got three 300mln projects are in progress.

1) DUN Complex
2) Kuching Tower
3) Sarawak Exhibition And Convention Centre

·
abed
826 Posts
The Usual Suspect said:
The same question is asked of The Klang Valley over and over again - do we need so many convention centers? :)
i thot it is a very thriving industry.. just have a look at KLCC nya bookings etc..

1 - 20 of 74 Posts