SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saudi women claim pink ribbon record

IN an unprecedented event in ultra-conservative Saudi Arabia, Saudi women are claiming the world record for forming the largest-ever human pink ribbon at a rally to raise awareness about breast cancer

More than 4000 pink-clad women, Saudis and foreigners gathered today on a stadium pitch in Jeddah to form the giant ribbon - the global symbol of the fight against breast cancer - to break the previous record of 3640 set in Germany in 2007.

"We have conquered the world record of Germany with a human chain exceeding 4000 women," announced Princess Reema bint Bandar, a leader of the effort.

"We are pleased with this achievement and thank all those who supported us in the campaign for their efforts," she told the all-female crowd.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...nk-ribbon-record/story-e6frf7jx-1225945088842

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Very cute! :)

It's nice that they host such events in Saudi to raise awareness about breast cancer. In Israel, breast cancer is a big problem among many traditional/conservative Arab women because of various social norms/stigmas that cause them to avoid seeking timely medical attention.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^The lights are so cool!

And congrats!
thx :)
the King Fahad Fountain in Jeddah went Pink to ,, but i couldn't find any pix :(

חבר1.0;66248589 said:
Very cute! :)

It's nice that they host such events in Saudi to raise awareness about breast cancer. In Israel, breast cancer is a big problem among many traditional/conservative Arab women because of various social norms/stigmas that cause them to avoid seeking timely medical attention.
i think it was kinda like that here until very recently :(

Breast cancer is the most-diagnosed form of cancer in Saudi Arabia, accounting for 12.4 per cent of all cancers and 23.6 per cent of cancers amongst women, according to a study by the Saudi Cancer Registry.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good effort

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
That's really great, good for KSA!

I have some friends back in Jeddah who took part in this event.

Btw, there have been quite a few World Records broken in Saudi Arabia. I took part in the largest hand-print painting in the world, in Jeddah back in 2002 I think it was. A pair of those hand prints on that massive canvas are mine ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts