SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sault Sainte Marie ("The Soo") is the oldest European settlement in both the Midwest & in Ontario, founded 1668. The Ontario side is the larger & more prosperous; however, time constraints limit this thread to the Michigan side only. All photos are from June '08.
-----
Although the cities are quite old, one needs to look closely at the stonework on some of the buildings to get a sense of history:

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I look forward to seeing more pics

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
^^ Interesting looking building!

Is "Soo" the French pronouncation of Sault?

·
38,853 Posts
I stayed a night in the Soo on my way west, but the Canadian side only. Wish I had a chance to pop over to the US side as well. Is it true that the US side used to be part of Canada, but became US territory in one of the many land hand overs?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ I believe that Marquette founded the Sault as one city, back when this was still French territory, but that it split in 1796 or 1797 to a Canadian & USA side.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
I used to live in the UP. Newberry, exactly. I used to travel to the dentist in Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. allot. Over 75 miles away! :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the gateway to the Sault locks - still the world's busiest - which connect Lake Superior to Lakes Huron/Michigan:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Sault Locks, looking out towards Lake Superior. Bridge to Canada is in the background.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Superior levels on the left, Huron/Michigan on the right. Ontario side in the background:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts