Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Welcome to Savannah Georgia! One of the most beautiful cities in the world and a wonderful place to make your home or vacation destination. The Historic District of Savannah is buzzing with creativity, art, culture, and live theatre and is the perfect place for you to spend a weekend or a lifetime. Many people who visit end up falling in love with Savannah and move here to live in one of the oldest cities in America -- a site of many famous Revolutionary & Civil War Battles. Hundreds of interesting sites to see await you including more than twenty city squares, monuments, parks, Historic Homes, Churches & Forts and the largest National Historic Landmark District in the USA!

Savannah’s historic district is one of the largest such areas in the United States, with thousands of architecturally significant buildings in the 2.2 square mile area, including examples of Federal, Victorian, Regency and Italianate architecture.

Over the centuries, Savannah has survived a variety of threats, from war to demolition. Today the city offers a magnificent window into the past, framed by enormous live oaks, fragrant Confederate jasmine and brilliant azalea blooms. River Street ... A Trip Back In Time Experience the magic of River Street - where Georgia was first founded in 1733. Walk along historic cobblestone streets that were once the ballast stones in mighty sailing ships.

Many of these have been seen before here, haven't taken any pics in a couple of years. More to come in this thread.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Jeff, I am so glad to see some of your photos here :) Not many people know Savannah the way you do, that's for sure. I also noticed that you have lunched a new site, where you sell some of your photos. Good work!!! I will place a link to my website because I think it is a unique opportunity for people to actually examine Savannah's urban and historic fabric through your lenses. Please, keep sharing some of your work with us ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Savannah's remarkable city plan is distinguished from those of previous colonial towns by its repeated pattern of connected neighborhoods,multiple squares, streets, and designed expansion into lands held by the city (the common). It is unique in the history of urban planning in a number of respects, not the least of which is that the squares allow for more open space in Savannah than in any city layout in history. Savannah's downtown area is the largest National Historic Landmark District in the United States.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Often referred to as the Hostess City of the South, Savannah is rich in architectural splendor, natural beauty and old-fashioned Southern charm. Since British General James Oglethorpe landed on the historic bluff above the Savannah River in 1733 to found America’s thirteenth colony, Savannah has established itself as one of the nation’s most unique cities.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
World renowned for its timeless charm and historic preservation, Savannah's historic district offers its visitors and residents a walk back in time. The elegance of Savannah immediately overwhelms the senses. The historical elements of this charming coastal community weave an undeniable web of intrigue that seduces many into the heart of this southern city.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
She is elegant and refined yet secretive and seductive. She is Savannah, Georgia's First City. Eccentric and romantic, Savannah is the sultry Southern Bell of the Georgia Coast. One of the South's most intriguing and mysterious cities, Savannah will captivate you with her natural beauty, eccentric charm and traditional Southern hospitality.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Zigzag, you have provided us with one of the most exhilirating photographic city essays on any of these pages. The quote from the most prestigeous newspaper in France, LeMonde, says it all -- "the most beautiful city in North America." And Parisians know well whereof they speak.

There is no Boulevard on this continent to match the richness and beauty of Bull Street. The diversity of archictecture along its park-like length runs the gamut of every style -- Federal, Italianate, Mediterranean, Regency, Romanesque and Victorian.

If ever there were an American city that benefits from the absence of high rises it is Savannah.

A spectacular presentation, and I thank you.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Savannah is truly one of a kind.

Those squares alone do it for me. They have aged gracefully, and time gives them a real sense of authenticity.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Based on these photos alone, Savannah blows Charleston out of the water in terms of historic flair.
I wouldn't say that in the least. From the looks of it, they are about equal, but both capitalize on their own unique characteristics and features. Both also seem to do better in certain categories where the other is weak in. For instance, Charleston has a few squares, but Savannah takes the cake there. On the other hand, it appears that Charleston does a better job with its waterfront (the Battery, Waterfront Park, etc.). It should also be noted that Charleston also has much historic flair to be found away from the peninsula (e.g., Magnolia Plantation, Charles Towne Landing, Cypress Gardens, etc.).

Here's what seems to be a pretty objective comparison between the two cities.

It almost seems unfair to say which is "better," as both share many similar characteristics but are far from being duplicates of each other.

103 Posts
Verry very nice zigzag. I love your work. Savannah is definetly the place to be and I'm glad to call Savannah my home.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts