SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Donald Rumsfeld spoke about the necessity of American prepardness for another 9/11.

When stairs remain the only evacuation means, how much safer are the post 9/11 tall buildings at WTC site?

New innovations are perhaps not being fully exploited due to the conservative nature of architects and developers.

One such invention I feel is worthy of comment is 'Maglide' a Life Saving Mass Evacuation System, simplistic in design and yet to date ignored despite concerted efforts to Licence and huge expert opinion support.

How can this and other ideas and inventions be taken up, brought to market and installed if engineers, architects and developers are not to support them and look to ways to incorporate these ideas into codes of practice for safer high rise buildings.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
7 WTC IS designed to be safer than its predecessor.

It DOES have wider stairwells, a concrete core, lighter but much stronger alloy steel columns and girders as well as a pressurized air system in the core to quickly remove smoke in an emergency.

It's been designed to remain standing for a significant amount of time should a 09-11-style attack ever occur. But I don't think it will happen again. Terrorists don't usually try the same thing twice. And I think it would be extremely difficult for them to try that type of an attack again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would agree and it would be silly if the new buildings were not stronger and better protected. However the speed of evacuation remains largely unaffected with stairs still the main egress route.

In addition the wider stairs etc does not deal with the psychology of occupants who I am sure would appreciate a "personal life jacket" and system for getting out in seconds not minutes.

·
Long live the Twins!
1,116 Posts
if we want America to be prepared for another terror attack, our priorities should be improving our intelligence and removing all the bureaucratic red tape that exists within our intelligence agencies so that they can all work together and share the same intelligence information with each other so we can track down terrorists before the could even strike. if it hasn't been for the reluctance of the FBI and the CIA to share intelligence information with each other and the lax standards in tracking down terrorists, the WTC twin towers would still be standing today.

really, improving building safety is pretty much the last defense we have against the terrorists. our priority should be preventing attacks before resorting to damage control.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Yeah, and mostly because the lazy gov't as well as Bush, had igged the warnings and signs that something catastrophically wrong was about to take place that shook the very foundations the country was built on!

Not only that. Hurricane Katrina was another example. Equally deadly results were the
cause of both tragedies. And at the center of it all is Bush and the gov't.
Bush's only concern seems to be the war in Iraq.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts