SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photos of the weirdest suburb I have ever seen. It's on the northeast part of Toronto, and two of our forumers live there (KM was the one who showed me around) God forbid I'd be there alone.:D One thing I loved were the condos. Ellipse is one of the coolest looking in TO, hopefully something similar will sprout near me too.;)

Now the pics...
Not really Scarborough, but getting there. This is the "suicide" bridge linking East Toronto with Downtown Toronto.

The Scarborough Rapid Transit SRT. That would be the best solution for a rapid transit line in Belgrade.

Now the Scarborough Town Centre (literally downtown) hehe, the thought of a city that grew around a mall hihihihi.:D Condos too

I found this hilarious.:D:D:D:D:D

And two pics of the newest Subway line built in Toronto, the Sheppard line. It's made up of five stations (being the shortest line) connecting the Yonge street line and Fairview mall (just outside Scarberia).

The end.:)
PS: KM add those pics you took too.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Scarborough sucks, and hard, although not all areas are horrible. The Scarborough Bluffs, for example, is some of the nicest parkland that could grace any city.

The Scarborough LRT (well medium-capacity) is a strict no for Belgrade, or indeed anywhere in Toronto again as it is now ridiculously over capacity and has been for a while. The system is inflexible and should be scrapped as soon as we get the new low floor trams which we will hopefully be able to convert to the track gage (I hope this is the solution they go with). Belgrade's ridership is likely much too high to use these guys.

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scarborough was an interesting experience for me.:D I don't remember the last time I've seen this part, but I wasn't expecting this. While riding on the SRT there was some kind of smell; like sulfur right before Midland station. Hehe, I cringe at the thought of how radically different my suburb is from this one.

Btw, Salvius, Belgrade is already planning a light rail subway, literally a streetcar as a rapid transit line. I don't see how the Scarborough LRT wouldn't be a better solution than that.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Filip said:
Btw, Salvius, Belgrade is already planning a light rail subway, literally a streetcar as a rapid transit line. I don't see how the Scarborough LRT wouldn't be a better solution than that.
Well, interestingly, and perhaps shockingly, the modern streetcar is considerably more flexible in terms of capacity that the Scarborough LRT which is simply not expandable enough to allow for high ridership. In hindsight, it is also more expensive, and the parts are a bitch to find when compared with streetcars or subways.

The Scarborough LRT is designed for medium capacity, and that's all it can accommodate. It may work in car-happy Vancouver, but not in Belgrade.

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
salvius said:
Well, interestingly, and perhaps shockingly, the modern streetcar is considerably more flexible in terms of capacity that the Scarborough LRT which is simply not expandable enough to allow for high ridership. In hindsight, it is also more expensive, and the parts are a bitch to find when compared with streetcars or subways.

The Scarborough LRT is designed for medium capacity, and that's all it can accommodate. It may work in car-happy Vancouver, but not in Belgrade.
Well, there could be an increase in trains on the Scarborough LRT, but that can't be done either. The company producing these trains for the LRT went bankrupt (or something like that) so they aren't made anymore. Another company that makes a similar model is still not compatible with the LRT because the curves of the tracks are too sharp for that train. So in other words, the Scartown LRT will remain the same no matter how high ridership will soar. It's screwed over, sadly.:(

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahsm57 said:
Nice pics Filip. I heard that Scarborough is a terrible place to live. The crime is really high. And you're likely to have your slippers stolen while getting the morning paper :D Is this true?
I really wouldn't know, but I have heard terrible stories.:D I've heard people tell me that they can't use a certain subway station over there after 9 o'clock since they're worried they might get attacked and have their shoes stolen. Now of course I can't even imagine that, but apparently it does happen.:eek: There are horrible areas around Toronto (Rexdale, Jane and Finch, etc...) But Scarborough has the worst reputation of them all. Even if things do improve, that rep will be near to impossible to shake off. Think about it, most of the shit news from Toronto happens in Scarborough. Man killed in Midland, woman raped in Scarborough blablabla. Even if it does happen in another Toronto area it's not as sensational as a Scarborough crime. A good example of media sensationalism and playing on stereotypes to attract viewers attention.;)

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Filip said:
Well, there could be an increase in trains on the Scarborough LRT, but that can't be done either. The company producing these trains for the LRT went bankrupt (or something like that) so they aren't made anymore. Another company that makes a similar model is still not compatible with the LRT because the curves of the tracks are too sharp for that train. So in other words, the Scartown LRT will remain the same no matter how high ridership will soar. It's screwed over, sadly.:(
TTC is studying the long-term feasability report of that line, since it's not going to run forever. My guess is that it will eventually get converted to a LRT streetcar line with the already elevated right of way.

---

Scarborough isn't really all that horrible crime-wise. Jane and Finch actually has a worse reputation than Scarb. And yet, my girlfriend lived on J&F for 2 years, no problems.

West Scarborough is home to some of the richest people in Toronto - hardly a bad area at all. Scarberia's crime is still very, very low. It's a fairly boring, non-descript area of the town, but it's not like it's a ghetto.

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
salvius said:
TTC is studying the long-term feasability report of that line, since it's not going to run forever. My guess is that it will eventually get converted to a LRT streetcar line with the already elevated right of way.

---

Scarborough isn't really all that horrible crime-wise. Jane and Finch actually has a worse reputation than Scarb. And yet, my girlfriend lived on J&F for 2 years, no problems.

West Scarborough is home to some of the richest people in Toronto - hardly a bad area at all. Scarberia's crime is still very, very low. It's a fairly boring, non-descript area of the town, but it's not like it's a ghetto.
That's precisely what it's portrayed like in Etobicoke by the media, a ghetto. And by what I've seen it's not too far off.:D Btw, Jane and Finch so does NOT have a worse reputation than Scar. Most people haven't heard of J & F but they all know what's Scarborough. As I've said Scarborough can become the new Forest Hill and it's still gonna have a sad rep.

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe, interesting comparaison. My area ~ 1991. See how bad it was, not much different from the current Scarborough. I'm sure they'll follow up on a regeneration of Scarborough as well, hell it has way more potential than my little area.;)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Describing Scarborough as a crime haven is definitely incorrect, but I don't mind getting a laugh from it once in a while. I live in West Scarborough and I can tell you that I feel safe walking outside even at midnight. Scarborough overall is no different from other suburbs in terms of crime in that it has bad areas and good areas. For instance, North York has Jane and Finch (definitely much much much worse than Scarborough when comparing per capita crime), Etobicoke has Rexdale, East York has Flemington Park, and there is also areas like Regent Park. This is only naming a few. But the point is in the vastness of Scarborough, there is probably one trouble spot that can be labelled as a crime troubled area and that is Malvern. I think you can even safely assume that Malvern accounts for a large majority of the crimes that occur in Scarborough, yet this is just a tiny area in all of Scarborough. The same can be said for the other areas I mentioned.

The stereotyping in the media is obvious and they enjoy creating a bad image of Scarborough. My World Issues teacher was at a media conference and asked why when a crime occurs in Scarborough, they say Scarborough, yet when a crime occurs in Etobicoke or North York, they simply say the intersection. The answer he got was that it makes the news more interesting.

My biggest problem with Scarborough is that it has nothing historical.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Filip said:
That's precisely what it's portrayed like in Etobicoke by the media, a ghetto. And by what I've seen it's not too far off.:D Btw, Jane and Finch so does NOT have a worse reputation than Scar. Most people haven't heard of J & F but they all know what's Scarborough. As I've said Scarborough can become the new Forest Hill and it's still gonna have a sad rep.
Ah, you borough people :D Come on now, Jane and Finch is THE place when it comes to media bashing. I've no idea why; there's some more crime, but it's hardly that deviant from other neighbourhoods. All the violence I've ever seen in Toronto was two fights, both were on College St -- hardly considered a 'bad' area of town.

Scarb, with the exception of swanky West Scarb, is a chain of strip malls, shittily done condos (except for a few) and commie block apartments, and single homes. It's not particularily interesting, but it sure as hell isn't a crime-ridden ghetto.

Not exactly ghetto material:

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
salvius said:
Ah, you borough people :D Come on now, Jane and Finch is THE place when it comes to media bashing. I've no idea why; there's some more crime, but it's hardly that deviant from other neighbourhoods. All the violence I've ever seen in Toronto was two fights, both were on College St -- hardly considered a 'bad' area of town.

Scarb, with the exception of swanky West Scarb, is a chain of strip malls, shittily done condos (except for a few) and commie block apartments, and single homes. It's not particularily interesting, but it sure as hell isn't a crime-ridden ghetto.

Not exactly ghetto material:

Haha, well ask the media, Scarborough sounds like the Bronx when in the hands of any Toronto newspaper mostly the Etobicoke Guardian.:D
Are you sure West Scarb is considered swanky? I go there once a week for piano and it's a typical run of the mill suburb. Normal houses with large lawns.

Btw, what's with that last pic? Are you sure you didn't get that mixed up with something from Arizona?:D

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
^ hehe, I'm showing off Scarborough Bluffs, which has got to be some of the nicest parkland.

As for West Scarborough, go just past the Beaches, and start exploring the suburbs near the Bluffs. Those houses are worth serious $$$$, and some of the richest people in Toronto live here.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
salvius said:
^ hehe, I'm showing off Scarborough Bluffs, which has got to be some of the nicest parkland.

As for West Scarborough, go just past the Beaches, and start exploring the suburbs near the Bluffs. Those houses are worth serious $$$$, and some of the richest people in Toronto live here.
Guildwood. :cheers:

A few of my friends at school live there.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
^ that's the guy, thanks.

The interesting thing is that the president of Guildwood Village Community Association which is trying to preserve the Guild Inn goes by the name of Donna Milovanovic. I wonder where she, or her parents, or her husband is from :)

·
Torontonian 4ever
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
salvius said:
^ that's the guy, thanks.

The interesting thing is that the president of Guildwood Village Community Association which is trying to preserve the Guild Inn goes by the name of Donna Milovanovic. I wonder where she, or her parents, or her husband is from :)
I was told West Scarborough is north of the 401 and west of Kennedy. We must not have been thinking of the same hood then. But yeah, obviously if you live by the bluffs/beaches the houses are gonna be worth some serious dough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.