SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
I looked these picture in daytime, but had no time to answer.
@Hybrid87, you have great, distinct style, I love it. Pure Riga urbanity emanating from your pictures, just as urbanity of Riga from 1920ies emanates from the verses of Aleksandrs Caks - our most popular "city poet"...

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
These pictures are grey and in general - sad. It may seem - they are devoid of romantics. But they show the essence of dilapidated commieblock district - living environment of most people in Riga nowadays. What is ordinary today, will be exotic tomorrow. What is ordinary here, is exotic elsewhere.
If you are in elevator together with other, unknown people, you never notice their faces, you just "switch them out" . Just because they are nearer to you than allowed by psychological "common distance between unknown people".
If you would see good photograph of all of you in this elevator, you might look at it with much interest, considering - who are these people, how are they, why are they like this? Similar is with the vision of the ugly parts in the city - to protect yourselves from bad feelings, you stop noticing them. Exaggerated photograph helps to see them again.

Just some thoughts from me to show why I like these pictures ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's just the way Hybrid 87 wanted these pictures to look. The most beautiful place in the world can look grey and sad on a photograph.
Even such a commieblock district as Purvciems is very nice (in the summer).

·
a.k.a. The King Arthur
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As the title says "Scenes from my life" ... the banners show the places I`ve grown up - Purvciems, Plavnieki, Mezciems (all are Riga suburbs) and the city center. Some might find it terrible to grow up in such surroundings ... but I have no choise and like my suburb ... and I never want to change something.
Existing order,
What can you offer?
Illegaly support, help, supply.
Existing order,
What can you offer?
Fell save,
Noone from us can reach you
S`T`A - Pastāvošā kārtība (Existing Order)
@blimey
Some good quotes from S`T`A (latvian hip hop band) songs
1. Tas Mūs Neuztrauc (That Doesn`t Bother Us)
Where happy for iur thoughts,
And if in your eyes we are big or tiny
That doesn`t bother us!
2.Manas Pilsētas Skati (Scenes From My Town)
Scenes from my town,
Do you like them?
If you don`t like them,
Just press fast forward
@Gatis
Gatis said:
@Hybrid87, you have great, distinct style, I love it. Pure Riga urbanity emanating from your pictures, just as urbanity of Riga from 1920ies emanates from the verses of Aleksandrs Caks
Thanks Gatis. That`s the first time someone is comparing my works with someone that great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.