SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 800 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hola folks!

So this thread is for general chatter and banter, and doesn't have to be related to Glasgow in the slightest. As long as it doesn't involve stuff that will obviously provoke a negative reaction from people, like talking about the Old Firm, feel free to post anything you like.

I'll start off the proceedings by throwing over the Silent Rave stuff.

Chato-tron: Activate!

The Boy David

=====================================================================================================

Did anyone catch the Glasgow Silent Rave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRiBzngEYt0

If so how many people turned up?

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
I had heard about this last week... maybe a new phenomenon starting ?

BBC

Police pull plug on 'silent rave'

Police have said they will stop any "silent rave" taking place​

Plans have been uncovered to stage an illegal "silent rave" in Glasgow's Central Station at the weekend.

British Transport Police (BTP) said it had become aware of people using social networking sites in an attempt to attract a large crowd on Saturday.

Officers and staff from Network Rail will be deployed over the weekend to prevent overcrowding.

A "silent rave" involves people meeting to dance to music played into their headphones from portable music players.

BTP said precautions would still be taken even though references to the event had now been removed from internet sites.

'Safety concerns'

Ch Insp Dave Marshall, from BTP, said: "This does not appear to be a good idea.

"We don't want to spoil people's fun but we do want to make sure the station can continue to operate and passengers and rail staff can travel and work as normal.

"A large number of people in a confined space can cause safety concerns. We would encourage those who organise events like this to do so away from the rail network."

David Simpson, Network Rail route director, added: "We will not allow a completely unauthorised event like this to disrupt passenger journeys and we urge any would be participants or curious bystanders to stay away from the station at this time."

·
The Legend
13,138 Posts
What a bunch of Ba*~#rds, how far can they go to be such kill joys, I bet the person who orderd this to be clamped down on has got to be called Norman, Boreman Norman.

·
The Legend
13,138 Posts
The police now check all social web sites to see what you are up to.
Yeah, but to be fair, it's not like they (even I wanted to go, but didn't have the means to get up their) were planning a bank robbery, or organising it so that evey chav would go into JJB and pinch a mountain bike each.

This sort of stuff seems to happen in all cities and Newcastle especially alot these days (little stunts, not bank robberies or large amounts of mountain bike theft). It's nothing but harmless fun, thats all it is.

·
Silent
2,306 Posts
I agree just a bit of fun. No one gets hurt and no or very little damage. I mean what a sad life they must have looking up events and then stopping them.

·
Hipster Scum
4,826 Posts
I got asked to go, but I didn't see the attraction of dancing about like a twit at 2pm - maybe 8pm:tongue2:

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Yeah, really don't see the attraction myself. Surprising how often you'll get to hear about a wee rave going on just as Sleazy's is closing mind. Call me out of touch but I'm quite happy spinning round pilled off my face at the School of Art most of the time.

Anyway, knowing my luck I'd have turned up, started giving it plenty, headphones on, glowbands swinging and turned to round to see me and me alone participating before feeling the heavy thud of Strathclydes finest hit home.

·
Use your words
4,854 Posts
Cringe factor off the scale.

Seriously, I don't care for censoring, but look up the youtubes of ones elsewhere. Deeply embarrassing.

·
5,625 Posts
Alas, nay. I am but a scraping of dirt on Mr Gothicform's shoe.

I can't create forums or subforums - only Gothic and Jan can do that, I think.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Alas, nay. I am but a scraping of dirt on Mr Gothicform's shoe.
I can't create forums or subforums - only Gothic and Jan can do that, I think.

What use is that?...call yersel a MOD :eek:hno: !!

Full service or a want ma money back. :rant:

JK Davey ..ye dae a guid joab mate. :)

·
AirGlasgow.com
2,651 Posts
So this thread is for general chatter and banter, and doesn't have to be related to Glasgow in the slightest. As long as it doesn't involve stuff that will obviously provoke a negative reaction from people, like talking about the Old Firm, feel free to post anything you like.
Firstly, there is no such thing as "the old firm". There are two clubs, Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers, not one club called "The Old Firm.

Secondly, why shouldn't they be discussed here? They are two of the biggest clubs in the world and they both play here in Glasgow, it would be reticules to have an outright ban on talking about both clubs.

If people cant talk about either club without the "usual nonsense" then ban the users in question, not the subject.

One final point, the media in Scotland/the UK make much more of an issue of the sectarianism thing than it actually is IMO.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One final point, the media in Scotland/the UK make much more of an issue of the sectarianism thing than it actually is IMO.
I actually think the issue is swept under the carpet. I advocate lobbing all the bigoted scum into the jail for 6 months.

Don't stop at the old Firm though. The likes of Airdrie's Section B are just as bad... You should not and cannot categorise bigotry, all hate crimes are the same, no matter who the target. These people need to be dealt with. The SFA are perpetrating Scotland's shame by not dealing with it in the manner they have previously stated. Have you noticed any team being fined or docked points.... and it still continues. Don't isolate the teams... forget the old firm, just get the police in to deal with the dregs of society.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Firstly, there is no such thing as "the old firm". There are two clubs, Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers, not one club called "The Old Firm.

Secondly, why shouldn't they be discussed here? They are two of the biggest clubs in the world and they both play here in Glasgow, it would be reticules to have an outright ban on talking about both clubs.

If people cant talk about either club without the "usual nonsense" then ban the users in question, not the subject.

:lol: and indeed :lol:

I wish I could agree with you, GM. I'd love to be able to talk about the OF as they are two very big clubs and like them or not, they form an important part of the city's social (and physical) fabric. However, I think it has been demonstrated time and time again in this part of the forum that threads/posts on any vaguely OF-related topic brings out trollish tendencies in lurkers and certain regular and semi-regular posters alike. I don't think its fair to ask Davey to moderate such discussions - there are plenty of places on the web to talk about football in Glasgow and elsewhere. It would be nice to talk sensibly about how important they have been to the city's identity, but I think we need to be realistic and admit its unlikely to happen in a satisfactory manner.

·
Silent
2,306 Posts
To be honest i don't see the point on making this thread Glasgow skybar what is the point. Glasgow doesn't need to be like other cities on scc. We have lived with out it until now so why now. If anything i like to talk more about our latest 2 large developments will Bothwell plaza and Jumeirah Hotel have red warning lights at the top would look nice. Also David why do we need so many sticky threads.

1 - 20 of 800 Posts