1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

SELINA SHARRATT
The Townsville Bulletin
07Jun07

Hello darling

THIS may be the $150 million darling of Flinders St East. If it's given the green light this development will be known as Hayles Wharf on Flinders. Fortune Property Development Pty Ltd has lodged the only expression of interest for the development of two prime pieces of land which back on to the Ross Creek.

The development will sit in the heart of Flinders St East. It will cover two council car parks and two parcels of adjoining blocks on private land across from the Bank nightclub. The submission comprises five major elements including a 10-level office tower on the Denham St end, a four-star hotel on the port end, a serviced apartments building and a hospitality precinct at ground level with street and creek frontages.

There's commercial and public car parking spaces and a pedestrian boardwalk running the full length of the creek frontage and linking with the council's planned waterside pathway. It will also include a pedestrian bridge connecting to Plume and Palmer streets.

Sydney-based architect AJC is responsible for the designs. Fortune spokesman Peter Cardiff said Fortune had sought an architect who could bring fresh ideas to the Townsville region.

"We're very excited," Mr Cardiff said. "It's very much inspired by the sort of things you see in cities like Sydney and we are really pushing for Darling Harbour in Townsville. We very much want them (AJC) to understand the importance of having a development which relates to Ross Creek rather than just having a development that runs on to Flinders St East.

"What we are trying to do is create at street level, an opportunity for people to come from the (Flinders) street through the hospitality that's at ground level and go out on to the back of the deck – so it's trying to bring the water to the street."

Mr Cardiff said the architecture would contrast with the Heritage style of Flinders St East. "We very much believe it should be a modern development and contrast with those heritage buildings," he said. "That is the correct way to deal with heritage buildings, I think all the experts would agree that that's the appropriate course."

Fortune Property has estimated the project to take three to four years to complete with an overall value of between $100 million and $150 million.

Townsville Mayor Tony Mooney welcomed the submission. He said the development had the potential to provide an exciting boost to the CBD. "It is still very early days, but this is an exciting proposal which has the potential to deliver the wow factor we're looking for in the CBD," Cr Mooney said. "We will now be taking the process to the next stage to see if the proposal will stack up financially and meet the requirements of council in terms of public benefit."
Elevation

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW!!!! :carrot: :banana: :cucumber:

So the building on the left looks like its 12 storeys on top of a 5 storey podium = 17 storeys in total. And its an office tower!! First highrise office tower to be proposed since Suncorp Plaza and Stanley Place in the early 90's. Very good news.

Then the two other buildings sit on a 3 storey podium, sounds like the one in the middle is serviced apartments (9 storeys in total) then a hotel on the right (7 storeys total). And lots of entertainment and eateries at ground level plus a creek side boardwalk.

Fantastic proposal

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah it'd be nice to see more proposals turning into developments, and in turn becoming completed projects however (as they were originally proposed, too).

·
Townsville
552 Posts
I love it. A perfect proposal for that part of town. It would make up for Tims Surf and Turf going. Lets hope that some of those apartment buildings start construction soon to make this proposal even more viable.:cheers:

·
26,701 Posts
I like the bridge! That's not there currently is it?

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TomA4 said:
That TV adds some style
Yeh, love the screen. Reminds me of Circle on Cavill. Adds a little touch of Times Square to Townsville :)

KJBrissy said:
I like the bridge! That's not there currently is it?
No, but the Plume St footbridge has always been part of TCC's CBD revitalisation plans. That's one of, if not the reason Sunferries had to leave its Flinders St East terminal (which is in the middle of the Hayles Wharf site)

I'm really impressed with the usage of the site - I didn't think it'd be good for much at all, let alone a complex of this magnitude, with a office tower to boot!

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
^^ Lol, Times Square. Never really thought of anything like that, i even think Darling Harbour is a tad bit overated.

This office tower being at 17 floors could end up being a new tallest Office Building.
This is something that i had always envisioned for Flinder street east, infact on the whole Creek, just towers going up on each side of the creek. It'll make a good Skyline photo from the Denham Street Bridge looking towards the port.

·
Troppo In TSV
523 Posts
I wonder what they mean by "hospitality at ground level"? Are we talking retail shops, eateries, tourist stuff? And do you think it would be safe to assume the next 2 levels would be for car parking?

The bridge is long overdue and would make an enormous difference with punters able to move more readily from Flinders St East to Palmer Street.

And I love the architecture - it going to make Honeycombes crappy buildings date VERY quickly...

So yeah - bring it on!!!

·
Townsville
552 Posts
I saw the heritage people were having a bit of a winge about this development being close to all those heritage buildings and the proposed buildings being to tall.
I love the heritage buildings but this development is only going to be near, it's not going to knock the heritage buildings down. The city has got to move forward. I think some of those heritage people would be happier if we all lived in Ravenswood.:eek:hno:

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^Yeh, there was a letter to the editor in the Bulletin on Saturday (p94), which read:

Are they trying to make Townsville a showcase for ugly and inappropriate development?

As if the Stalag 13 steel monstrosities of Flinders St East weren't bad enough, now we are having a new eyesore inflicted upon us with the new Darling Harbour on Ross Creek.

I nearly choked when I read the comments by Peter Cardiff that modern architecture that constrasts strongly with heritage buildings is the right way to deal with heritage buildings. I have spoken to hundreds of people who love an admire the heritage-listed buildings of Flinders St East and not a single person who thinks the steel poles look like anything except an unfinished construction site. It's ugly, an affront to the senses, it detracts from the beauty and heritage of our city and I think architects who inflict these sorts of horrors upon us need to go back to the drawing board
The street scaping in Flinders St East leaves a bit to be desired, but from the render Hayles Wharf seems to have a very glassy facade. I'd really love to see what design features people like that would like in new development. Do they just want to try to replicate the 19th century architecture on the other side of the street? I think that would be incredibly tacky, you gotta move forward but I think most of these people don't want to move forward at all. Only a ugly gravel carpark will satisfy them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i honestly dont the look of flinders st east compared to what it used to look like.....is there something wrong with me because everyone seems to dislike those poles and lighting!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
The flinders st east layout look shithouse IMO. I've seen brilliant work in other cities (particular Melbourne) when it comes to building modern structures amongst the older buildings - things like extensions to old buildings upwards using reflective glass (looking up at it, it just looks like reflected sky so you barely notice it).

They really ought to send "their people" down south to see how well it can be done.

Btw Peter Cardiff is ex head of planning at TCC, so his views would likely represent that of TCCs policies on these matters I imagine (just a guess).

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
GoTroppo said:
I wonder what they mean by "hospitality at ground level"? Are we talking retail shops, eateries, tourist stuff? And do you think it would be safe to assume the next 2 levels would be for car parking?

The bridge is long overdue and would make an enormous difference with punters able to move more readily from Flinders St East to Palmer Street.

And I love the architecture - it going to make Honeycombes crappy buildings date VERY quickly...

So yeah - bring it on!!!
Well yes, but hospitality more means Cafes and Resturants, as well as certain aspects of Hospitality and Tourism as in Customer service, Patrons needs yada yada yada.

·
Registered
47 Posts
apparently the negotiations of this land aren't going to well, my source tells me that it might take a few more months for a deal to be struck.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Damn, it sounded like a pretty good project till that bit of news, hopefully it'll still be approved though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the council is still considering several submissions, i can garantee the council is going to want to get as much money as possible from the selling of this site.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts