Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Townsville apartments put people in heart of action

TONY RAGGATT l 28Jun08

MELBOURNE developer Thompson Property Group is proposing a $100 million redevelopment of the Townsville Transit Centre in Palmer St. The company has lodged a development application with Townsville City Council for a project covering much of the 6000 sq m site, including two residential towers to 14 and 11 levels as well as restaurants and shops.
A part of the site where a BP service station trades at the corner of Plume and McIlwraith streets will not form part of the development.
The transit centre is to be demolished.

"It's an exciting street and this site needs to be redeveloped," Thompson Property Group principal Warren Thompson said yesterday. "It's going to be the `in' spot in Townsville."

The company is planning 117 apartments in two towers, one facing Palmer St, the other fronting Plume St. Ground-floor restaurants are planned for Palmer St and shops on Plume St. A three-level car park is proposed for McIlwraith St. The towers are to be built around a pool and landscaped area, with a mix of accommodation types and styles.

The application says the development exceeds the height limit of 12 levels on Palmer St but submits that the project does not jeopardise planning expectations for the area given its nexus with the CBD. "I think we've designed a development that is not as large as it could have been," Mr Thompson said.

He expected to be able to start construction in late 2009 and possibly develop in two stages, with a completion in 2011.
He believed the market was there for units provided they could be delivered at an affordable price. "Demand for accommodation in Townsville is not going to slacken off," he said. "The growth rate is well above the national average."

Thompson Property Group has developed the Ibis Hotel and is building the Grand Mercure Hotel, both in Palmer St, and has a minority interest with fund manager Opus Capital in another development also in Palmer Street, the Riva apartment project.

Work to excavate Riva's multi-level basement car park started in 2006 and stalled when the project was redesigned to add another three floors. Mr Thompson said it had taken close to a year to gain approvals for the redesign and negotiations were under way with a builder. A new marketing campaign for its units would be launched in July.

·
6,446 Posts
Well its an exciting proposal but, although its a bit hard to tell excatly what to expect cause its a sketchy-type render, that design looks very ordinary. The Transit Centre should be a landmark development - the focal point of the Palmer Street precinct, and this falls well short of that. Council should have given them permission to go higher - up to 20 storeys I reckon, so they could really do something special.

·
6,446 Posts
I think you'll find that that white building is white because its meant to be a 'ghost'...of Riva. So the the 14 storey building fronts Palmer, then the 11 storey building (also red) fronts Plume.

But I'm sure this design is probably pretty preliminary - it will probably be refined or even completely changed - like remember that sketchy render of Gateway which was really ugly and not at all like the final design. Its probably more about the building envelopes.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are now 46m and 38m with a carpark tower of 18m. The levels have changed from 14 to 13st and 11st tower. How dense does Palmer Street look. :banana:. There pretty bland, and remind me of Metro Quays so bad :eek:hno:. I cant believe how old the original DA's are, Its from back in Feb 08 and its only now that they've gone online, The renders haven't incorporated the new proposal for Riva. I definitely like the Glass facade. I also must point out, I love how the City Council is adding heaps of developments to its website every month, it never use too. The DA also has detailed information from Engineers in regards to the core structure. Overall I dont hate it, But I dont love it, I suppose it will make a massive impact to Palmer though.

Development Application can be viewed here: http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/resources/5065.pdf

Eloooo's

Facade Treatment:

Conceptual's:

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not in these current times, probably not for a year yet. I think you'll find allot of developers are rushing there plans through council to get approval and once activity picks up in the market, then they will start marketing and once a secure percentage have been sold construction will start. Look how long it took Dalgety before it was built.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant see this one getting up at all to be honest. I dont no, Just a gut feeling I guess, All though id love to be proved wrong.

Units for former transit block

LENDL RYAN l December 4th, 2009 l Townsville Bulletin

TOWNSVILLE City Council has approved a $100 million highrise on Palmer St, despite fears it could become another `hole in the ground'.

Thompson Property Group will build a 117-unit residential development with restaurants and shops on the site of the former Transit Centre bound by Palmer, McIlwraith and Plume streets.

It will include two towers with 14 storeys at the front and 12 storeys at the rear with 310 car parks above ground on the 6000 sqm site.

Thompson Property Group, which is also behind the stalled Riva on Palmer, is confident the new development won't follow suit and become a massive hole in the ground.

OPUS LAUNCHES NEW TOWNVILLE UNIT PROJECT

Cr Sue Blom told the Planning and Economic Development Committee on Wednesday it was one of her concerns.

''Is there any guarantee that they are not going to just dig another hole?'' she asked.

Cr David Crisafulli admitted the council had no control other than force the company to resubmit a development application if the current approval lapsed.

''We have to assess applications and get the best outcomes out of those applications,'' he said.

''We obviously hope that developers can get the finance to build them.

''In this market, we understand it is tough but we stress to the banks that they should be looking favourably on this city.''

Thompson Property Group director Warren Thompson said the new development would go ahead one way or another whereas Riva on Palmer was hamstrung by its major partners, Opus Capital Group, which was waiting for the market to improve.

''When we start building, we will keep moving,'' he said.

''We are looking to start marketing apartments mid-way through 2010 and start building no later than 2011.

''We have been working on it for more than two-and-a-half years roughly, we have owned the site for probably more than eight years.

''Palmer St is a great part of Townsville. We own the Ibis and Grand Mercure over the road and are looking forward to developing the Transit Centre.''

There was also concern over insufficient car parks with 195 allocated for residents and 115 for the shops, restaurants and visitors.

Cr Jenny Hill argued there were 100 car parks missing as there should be one per bedroom, as per statements from Cr Crisafulli in the past.

There are nine one-bedroom apartments, 58 two-bedroom apartments, 38 three-bedroom apartments and 12 penthouses with possibly four bedrooms each.

''In the past, Cr Crisafulli criticised this council's parking scheme for inner-city parking and he was adamant that it should be one car park, one bedroom,'' she said.

''He has been in the job for two years now and he hasn't bothered to change the scheme.

''He is now skiting how developers are providing enough car parking when they are providing the same amount of car parks they had to do under the old Townsville City Council - nothing has changed.''​

·
6,446 Posts
Guy I know (cabinetmaker) reckons Thompson are just about ready to move on this one. He reckons demolition will begin in March and tenders are going out for construction. I try not to get too excited about that kind of talk anymore cause it almost never happens, but with nothing much else happening this might be one to look forward too, fingers crossed. My pessimistic side says they WILL demolish the Transit Centre and then leave a empty patch of dirt for the foreseeable future like so many other sites around town. Hope not.

·
6,446 Posts
Well, here is an article from the Bulletin that says work will begin THIS March, or April. It'll probably turn out to be bullshit, like most development timelines in Townsville, but the article does come with a Lord of the Rings reference :)

The two towers

MARTIN RASINI | December 29th, 2010

THE popular Palmer St dining and hotels precinct in South Townsville is likely to see development activity in 2011 following closure of a transit centre and backpacker facility whose site is earmarked for two towers. The project is planned by Melbourne-based Thompson Group, linked to Warren Thompson, which is expected to begin work on the 6030sq m site in March or April.

Thompson Group acquired the parcel through company vehicle Townswood for $1.75 million in December 2001 and received approvals for the development in December last year. The $100 million transit centre site fronts three streets Palmer, Plume and McIlwraith.

The project will cover most but not all of the site and feature two towers, one of 12 levels and the second with 14 levels with apartments above and ground-level dining and retail precincts. The towers will share 117 apartments, with one to face Palmer St and the other Plume St. They are to be built around a pool and landscaped grounds and will feature nine one-bedroom apartments, 58 two-bedroom units, 38 three-bedroom apartments and 12 penthouses. A 310-vehicle parking centre also will be developed on the site and will front McIlwraith St.

The project is the third earmarked for Palmer St by the Thompson Group which developed Grand Mercure and the Ibis Hotel[snip]

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This has been for sale for a while, here was an article from the Townsville Bulletin posted yesterday "Transit Centre for sale". Hopefully an interstate/international buyer can snap it up and build something here.

Remember the golden olden days when we had stacks of 12-14st proposals on this strip, we were talking at least 6 decently sized significant developments from memory... now they're all for sale!!!

·
6,446 Posts
Transit Centre has been sold, to MCG Group. Sounds like they haven't done any property development before, but they plan to begin a residential and commercial development of the site in the second half of 2013. A totally new proposal by the sounds of it.

Change in store for former transit centre

TONY RAGGATT | February 6th, 2013

TOWNSVILLE'S old transit centre may be levelled for a new residential and commercial development.

That's the current thinking of Brisbane-based civil construction and mining services firm MCG Group which has signed a contract to buy the Palmer St site for a price believed to be in the mid-$2 million range.

MCG Group spokesman Tony Addinsall confirmed the deal yesterday. He said it was early days in deciding future plans for the site but it would probably involve redevelopment with a mix of residential units and commercial space.

Mr Addinsall said they would look to redevelopment in the second half of 2013 after considering options for the site. The 6030sq m property has three-street frontage on to Palmer, Plume and McIwraith streets and holds a current development approval for 117 units.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts