Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. anyone have any info or pics of the proposed $3mill sculptures planned for the sandridge pedestrian bridge redevelopment??? also anyone know if there will be lighting on the bridge and why in renders only half of the bridge appears to be used? renders make it look ugly as... any info would be much appreciated. thanks.

·
Melburnaholic
567 Posts
I believe they're going to demolish half of the bridge...

never heard of the sculptures you refer to -

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
i read about them today, in the paper. They said the 'art' will be of immigrants comming to Australia, and they will be around the bridge, there will also be a 15 minute moving version, that will travle up and down the bridge.

My opinion it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Drunkill said:
My opinion it's a waste of money.
What about all the other public art in the city, in Docklands and in the CBD laneways, among other places. Are they all a waste of money too? I'm glad that something interesting is going to happen on that bridge - a compromise for all the wasted potential. (A cafe strip over the water anyone?)

(For the record, the installation will be by Nadim Karam, called The Travellers, and comprise 12 sculptures. The Age mentioned one of them being 7.5m tall.)

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
well if it is from the bridge budget, there already pushing their limit. =\ If it is being payed by the arts department, then its alright. A cafe strip over the top is a good idea, if it fits, or at least a section with tables and chairs.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
IMO permanent outdoor sculpture is never a waste of money.
When you travel to lots of different cities around the world this becomes more and more apparent.
Seattle - I didn't think much of the place. In fact the only thing I can really remember about it was a huge moving statue outside the art gallery of a man with a hammer (I think....). Anyway, point being that it left a positive lasting impression on me. It looked 'cool'.
Take a look at the "Laneways and Arcades" thread in the other section. Public artwork is Melbourne's answer to Sydney's harbour. It's true. It's what well and truly sets Melbourne apart from the other cities in Oz.
I think it's a great idea and visitors to the city will think it's great. I can't wait to see some of the designs of them.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
And the Docklands authority obviously acknowledges this fact with their plans for the huge amount of public artworks going on down there. It's really exciting.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree, public art is an important part of this city. I'm all for it.

I think a cafe strip would have been an amazing idea. They are only using one half of the bridge for the walkway so who knows... maybe in the future they will use the other half for something just like that. It would be quite unique in this country and kinda like a modern day Ponte Vecchio. I hope something like that does happen soon.

MG2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
after reading the press release sounds great! don't know where it will move around though, maybe up and down the side they are leaving bare and shining lights up (according to the press release)

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,089 Posts
A timeline theme of sculptures and pictures of Melbourne from the begining to now has always been a though ive had. Not really big on keeping the bridge though

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...by-costly-hitch/2005/12/25/1135445486422.html

A recent photograph I’ve taken.

Sandridge bridge hit by costly hitch

From The Age
By Dan Silkstone
December 26, 2005

THE Sandridge Rail Bridge redevelopment — a key Commonwealth Games project — has been hit by delays and is over budget after changes had to be made to plans because of a surprise discovery during excavations.

In September, engineers uncovered eight large electrical cables, buried 4.5 metres under where the bridge touches the north bank of the Yarra. The high-voltage cables — four of them live with electricity — were not included on underground maps supposed to show subterranean hazards.

Redevelopment of the long-derelict bridge is part of the $15.5 million "Queensbridge Precinct" — jointly funded by the City of Melbourne and State Government, and which also includes the redevelopment of the north bank of the river into a "youth precinct" and the construction of Queensbridge Square on the south bank.

The bridge refurbishment is the largest part of the project and is budgeted to cost $7.6 million.

Based on the maps, City of Melbourne engineers had expected to find three cables but excavation revealed they were not where they were expected to be. The subsequent discovery of five extra cables meant the site's foundations and base slab had to be completely redesigned, delaying work by at least three weeks and adding substantially to the cost.

A source close to the project said work had been accelerated to try to make up the lost time as the council and Government rush to reassure Melburnians that the landmark project will be completed in time for the March Games.

Engineers believe the cables date back to the 1920s and were not included on maps because the site — once part of a busy rail line — was never expected to be redeveloped.

Councillor Fraser Brindley said the additional cost was still not known because it was being negotiated with building contractors but said work was now progressing well after the hitch.

"It's getting there," he said. "The main slab has been laid, lighting poles and fence supports have been installed, retaining walls and landscaping features have been built and the link with the Yarra Pedestrian Bridge is now finished."

At a press conference last week, Major Projects Minister John Lenders responded to questions about whether the bridge would be ready for the Games by saying the project was not part of his portfolio.

Transport Minister and former Major Projects Minister Peter Batchelor then stepped in, saying that all Games sites would be ready for the March 15 opening.

On Friday, Government spokesman Andrew Eales repeated that the project would be completed on time. "The bridge will be an important part of the network of high-quality public spaces and pedestrian and cycle networks around this part of the Yarra River," he said.

The redevelopment has had a dramatic past — not limited to the bridge's star turn this year as a backdrop for the Nicholas Cage film Ghost Rider.

Originally due to be finished by mid-2003, the project was delayed after initial submissions to redevelop the disused bridge — including a giant ferris wheel idea that later found a home at Docklands — were deemed unsatisfactory by the Government. When a winning design was eventually chosen, the Melbourne City Council said work would be completed by the end of 2005, later revising the finish date to next March.

A 12-piece art installation created by Lebanese designer Nadim Karam called The Travellers, is being completed and is expected to be added to the bridge in March.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The Collector said:
Great stuff Hacksaw, but the question is, will it be ready for the Commonwealth Games? :dunno:
That's the $64,000 question that everybody seems to be asking about a lot of projects. But I think that the short answer is 'yes'. Most of the major projects seem to be coming toward completion and some have been fast tracked to ensure completion.There are also a few around the city that will and never were intended to be completed by early 2006. But that's cool, because life as we know it will still go on after the Games.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
They should have made this bridge a Melbourne version of Ponte Vecchio in Florence.

·
Agent of Change
7,191 Posts
^^ Don't get me started, Grollo and Nonda's 'Coccoon' should have won that competition, the stupid Ferris Wheel didn't even use the bridge after about the third revision to the proposal. :D They should have won by default. The Ponte Vecchio looked interesting but it looked abit over cluttered and renders the didn't give away too much, nonetheless it still would have been an interesting building had it been built.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Nah, that would have cluttered the river and create an even bigger barrier than anything else along that whole stretch of water.

What we've got is better I believe. Less is more!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Grollo would have got the gig but they didn't cough up enough of a kick-back to the government. That is the way things happen in this state. The golden rule is, the man with the gold makes the rules.

But now, the way it is. It is just an eyesore and should be demolished. As a bridge there is nothing really impressive about it, also it goes nowhere and serves no practical purpose.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts