Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
off
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Energy in EE

President Basescu: ‘We refuse to allow energy to become a tool of political pressure’

The Head of state participated yesterday in Zagreb in the SE European Energy Summit alongside Russian President Vladimir Putin who pleaded for a new energy strategy in the Balkans.

The host country, Croatia, characterized the regional summit held yesterday as an opportunity for the representatives of the countries in the region to voice their viewed on the current energy agenda and on the energy supply.

The main theme of the summit was the energy security. Beyond the agenda itself, all eyes were on Moscow mainly, expected to clarify both its strategy and priorities in the field. The fact that the president of Russia attended was even more important as almost half of the natural gas imports to the European Union come from Russia, and selected Central and Eastern European countries are dependent on the Russian gas.

The summit organised yesterday that concretised into the adoption of the so-called ‘Zagreb Declaration’, was also marked by the statements by the Presidents of Croatia, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia. Traian Basescu and Vladimir Putin will touch bases again today at the OCEMN Summit in Istanbul.

Romania pleads for the establishment of a regional energy market

“Romania supports the promotion of the infrastructure projects meant to open new transport routes and to contribute to the diversification of the supply sources,” said in his speech President Basescu, estimating that the optimum solution for Southeast Europe is to set up a regional integrated market, on which the producers of energy would take action in compliance with the free competition principles, while the beneficiaries may opt for the best solutions.

Basescu said that the energy security of Europe as a whole depends on how the countries from our region will understand to promote the cooperation with the major suppliers of energy.

“This framework must be present also in our approach to the relations with the Russian Federation. The principles of transparency, mutuality and non-discrimination in the transit of energy must underlie our partnerships. (…) We must all accept the idea that energy is a commodity, even a strategic one, but we shall never accept the idea to use the energy as a political pressure instrument,” reiterated the head of the state his stand steadily promoted lately.

Romania promotes also other projects of regional interest. Thus, we collaborate with the countries from the Energy Community Treaty with a view to setting up a regional energy market in Southeast Europe.

In this context, given the advanced stand held by Romania among the countries in the region in the domain of the reform in the energy sector and the development of the energy market, the setting up of a regional energy exchange in Romania is a priority among the objectives of our country,” added Traian Basescu.

Putin: trust Russia! :)nuts: )

Putin yesterday called for greater trust in relations between Moscow and the Balkan countries of southeastern Europe, as he outlined a series of energy projects in the region, AFP reported. In his speech, the Russian leader hailed a new project unveiled on Saturday to build a gas pipeline under the Black Sea from Russia to Bulgaria, saying it would benefit all of Europe.

“We’re convinced that to deepen our contacts in energy we need to strengthen mutual trust,” Putin told. “For that we need transparency, the rule of law and the absence of any discrimination in the openness of markets,” Putin said. Referring to the plan for a new gas pipeline under the Black Sea unveiled by Italian energy company ENI and Russia’s Gazprom, Putin called it “very promising” and said that Gazprom was “the flagship for cooperation with the Balkan countries.”

Gazprom and ENI have already held talks with Bulgaria on the pipeline project and are now examining possibilities for its onward route, which could either go northwards from Bulgaria or to the southwest, ENI said earlier.

“This is a very promising project. It will undoubtedly improve energy supplies to Europe as a whole,” Putin said, adding that the project had also won support from the European Commission, the EU’s executive arm. Putin also stressed wider cultural ties with the Balkans, saying that Russia’s economic activities were aimed at making the region a “zone of stability and security.” Among other projects that the Kremlin is pursuing is the planned Burgas-Alexandroupolis oil pipeline from Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast to the Mediterranean.

Putin said this pipeline would have a capacity of 35 million tonnes per year, which could rise to 50 million tonnes annually.

The Russian leader was careful to avoid any direct reference to political tensions, particularly over Moscow’s refusal to advocate any solution to the status of the Serbian province of Kosovo that does not have Belgrade’s support.

Sincerely, I am a little bit disappointed to see that our neighbours don`t have plans for alternatives to the russian gas. You guys, you still want to be dependent on russian gas. It seems that instead of thinking at some alternatives to the russian gas, you still want mother Russia to have the monopol in the East. Why we don`t try together to have an open & free market with the posibility to chose between many choices the optimal one. What is hapening if one day Russia is in anger and they close the tap or they ask you too much money for their gas. You`ll be in shit if you don`t have some alternatives/independence ! And if you have some alternatives, Russia will lose one of their important tool of (political, economical ..) pressure in our region ! And I think that`s what we need most : freedom !

So...

What do you think about the energy market in the East ?

How much do you think that Russia influence the politic & economy of your country in our days ?

·
Registered
713 Posts
so much talking for nothing. there's not much any of us can do. we dont produce any raw materials for energy, it's all on russia.

·
Basarabia e Romania
18,443 Posts
^^ Wrong. There is so much we can do ... Stick together, switch to another trustworthy supplier/producer. Yes I am aware that it takes time but relying on/trusting Russia is a NO/NO option :eek:hno:

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
Nebunul, not only you can not switch to another supplier, but soon even Russia might not be able to keep up with demand. Europe is actually lucky to have Russia near enough to at least have enough natural gas for some time. USA on the other hand is totally fucked. And we're all pretty much fucked to a high degree (unless we come up with cold fusion, but that's impossible for few decades ahead)

I don't understand this attitude towards Russia. Animosity will get you nowhere. It will just make things worse. Face reality - the world is entering a huge energetic crisis and the situation today is nothing compared to what is coming soon enough.

·
off
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We have/had too many problems (our national treasure, snake island, moldova etc or communism, Romania's resources were drained many years by Russia in adition to the excessive war reparations that we paid to USSR ... bad times ) ) with Russia and they never cared. It is difficult for us to forget and to have trust in Russia when we don`t see real signs of changement in their attitude ! I know ve surely lose some things (money) in this game but I don`t see significant changement soon. Consequently, when we see that we pay the most expensive price for gas we prefere to create other solutions/alternatives for long term and we are actually working in this direction in order to become soon (till 2015) and as much as possible an independent country from the point of view of energy ! It is possible, you will see it ! Few exemples : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=13793245&postcount=77

But I think that more solidarity between Balkan`s countries on projects considering some alternatives it will be better for everybody. It seems that we are the only one voice in Balkans thinking at some alternatives solutions ! It is dangerous when we have only one supplier, no other choices and no competition !

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
"But I think that more solidarity between Balkan`s countries on projects considering some alternatives it will be better for everybody. It seems that we are the only one voice in Balkans thinking at some alternatives solutions ! It is dangerous when we have only one supplier, no other choices and no competition !"

Dear Sir, it is hard for an average Serb to think about anything else right now but to look for what's (and what will) happen with southern province of Kosovo. As we all know, Russia is the only country that openly promotes the international law in this matter and Serbs are truly grateful for this support. Hence, I don't think Serbia would truly like to join any projects that are against Russia when most neighboring countries are openly supporting violation of her sovereignty over her most historic land. Though I understand that life under SSSR was far from beautiful, I am sure you get my point just as well. Best regards to all.

·
Basarabia e Romania
18,443 Posts
Does that all matter? EU have no choice. Where will you get gaz instead?
^^ For the moment from Russia at very high prices. But we're working to loose this dependence. Even if it takes us 15 years its still the best thing to do :cheers:

BTW we've discovered some new resources in N-E Romania + will hopefully find some more in W and N-W; do not forget also that we still have own petrol and gas for at least 2 decades to go + and we're investing quite a lot in nuclear power.

and some numbers :nuts:
www.cia.gov

Electricity - production: 54.53 billion kWh (2004)
Electricity - production by source: fossil fuel: 62.5%
hydro: 27.6%
nuclear: 9.9%
other: 0% (2001)

Oil - production: 119,000 bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - proved reserves: 500 million bbl (yearend 2004)
Natural gas - production: 11.8 billion cu m (2004 est.)
Natural gas - consumption: 18 billion cu m (2004 est.)
Natural gas - proved reserves: 300 billion cu m (1 January 2005 est.)
Reserves of foreign exchange and gold: $27.88 billion (2006 est.)

^^ so do not worry about us ... will not starve soon :lol:

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
Trust Russia? No Thank you!!

Albania, Kosovo and the Albanian part of Macedonia will trust United States.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well guys, it is indeed important for every country to have diversified sources of energy, however this is unlikely to happen any time soon. In the short to mid-term future, Europe will only become more reliant on Russia. And here there is a choice facing governments throughout Central and Eastern Europe: would you be willing to cooperate with Russia and benefit from this cooperation or would you oppose Russia as a matter of principle and not benefit from it? Countries like Hungary, Slovakia and Bulgaria will probably be the once to benefit and there will also be ones that will not. Ultimately, it will be up to every country to decide but I would not expect any regional solidarity on this issue :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nothing personal, Realek, but your government (I believe it was a PM or a President) openly agreed with American backing of Kosovo independence. However, I think it's quite clear to you what's really cooking here.....regards to my southern friends.

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
Nothing personal, Realek, but your government (I believe it was a PM or a President) openly agreed with American backing of Kosovo independence. However, I think it's quite clear to you what's really cooking here.....regards to my southern friends.

Something is cooking alright, but it is not what you think. Anyway, I don't have any illusions that our politicians can make a single important decision without asking Washington first - so there you have it. But there are people/countries in the region who actually think that they are not dictated, and that is even worse.

·
Islander
23,635 Posts
BTW we've discovered some new resources in N-E Romania + will hopefully find some more in W and N-W; do not forget also that we still have own petrol and gas for at least 2 decades to go + and we're investing quite a lot in nuclear power.
Even if you'll be able to supply Romania with that (which I doubt), it for sure won't be enough for the entire Balkans/SE Europe, which the thread is talking about.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Nebunul, not only you can not switch to another supplier, but soon even Russia might not be able to keep up with demand. Europe is actually lucky to have Russia near enough to at least have enough natural gas for some time. USA on the other hand is totally fucked. And we're all pretty much fucked to a high degree (unless we come up with cold fusion, but that's impossible for few decades ahead)
I disagree. I think this global energy crisis will be resolved in the near future. The number of nuclear power plants is rising, solar panels are getting more and more efficient (in a few years they'll be capable of converting 100% of the sun's rays) + we're developing new technologies that are more energy-efficient and by 2016 we'll have energy by fusion. Of course the demand will rise but in the same time we'll use nanotechnology to make computer chips much much more efficient so that no energy is lost. People are already doing some advanced research in this field. The main problem we're facing today is that people take energy for granted, but a couple of years from today we'll probably have automated power saving technology in our homes + the EU (and Al Gore) are doing a lot to raise global warming and energy efficiency awareness. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.