Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
I think the name of their site is a rip off of OzRoads and the owner of that site should sue them for copyright infringement, take him to the cleaners like he took CKF to the cleaners when he stole his photos from his site.

I thought rising sea levels were meant to destroy the GC, but those show little damage anticipated around the coast line, and only the canel estates which I am sure we all agree isn't a major loss.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
These maps just represent sea level rise under normal conditions. Storm surges and the like are not shown and would result in much greater inundation.

Sea level rise will not really start to affect things greatly until next century as the ice caps slowly melt. This process will take hundreds of years even under the worst case global warming scenarios.

Well looks like Adelaide is safe then :p
I have inside info that says the Adelaide map hasn't been released because it is pretty grim. Do large parts of the city lay pretty low?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
These maps just represent sea level rise under normal conditions. Storm surges and the like are not shown and would result in much greater inundation.

Sea level rise will not really start to affect things greatly until next century as the ice caps slowly melt. This process will take hundreds of years even under the worst case global warming scenarios.

I have inside info that says the Adelaide map hasn't been released because it is pretty grim. Do large parts of the city lay pretty low?
Majority of Adelaide is at least 2 metres above the sea level, the CBD for example is 40 metres above the sea level. So I would say the area that would be affected the most would be around some of the coastal suburbs, the rest of Adelaide would be fine.

Storm surges could do some major damage though

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Ha! It wasn't even supposed to be a joke. Trust you to have a dig at Adelaide though!
*sigh*... Andy...(GM)...buddy....you having a lend?...surely youre not serious heh.

first...sorry but how is that a dig at adelaide in any way? (really, id like to know). It was a dig at whoever decided not to release adelaide maps because of any "grim" theoretical findings in 2100.

i also realise it wasnt supposed to be a joke, thats the part i find so lame/moronic. I find it really amusing that they are pretty much saying "oh shit, its bad news for adelaide, we CANNOT release this theoretical map showing sea levels in 2100, or it will cause panic amongst the people"

:lol:

i mean, theyre talking bloody 90 years from now not next week. If there is any estimated major impact of rising sea levels to a city a hundred years from now, isnt that where they would post such maps? its almost like not publishing crime figures for a city because theyre worse than the others. its bizarre. anyways...

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
haha uhh no crawf...andy is the one that interpreted what i said as having a dig at adelaide when clearly that was not the case. why the f*k should i shutup when ppl like ando need to be corrected.

even u must think what a dumb reason it is(if its tru) for not posting a map of one of oz's biggest cities. you yourself said the impact would not be huge.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Nothing we don't already know. Brisbane City Council has maps which offer much greater detail.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
first...sorry but how is that a dig at adelaide in any way? (really, id like to know). It was a dig at whoever decided not to release adelaide maps because of any "grim" theoretical findings in 2100.
Just goes to show how hard it is to pick up tone/inflection/intent over the interwebs!

a) I misunderstood your 'laaame' etc comment to be at a perceived joke about Adelaide (i.e, it's not released because it's grim, geddit?)
b) I figured that you of all people would jump to the joke conclusion because of your well know trolling of everything Adelaide, hence the dig comment from me.
c) You are right, it is pretty lame that they haven't released the Adelaide map. Mainly because the rises projected could have significant implications in the long run for things such as property prices.

90 years is a long time but also within the scope of current lifetimes. Would you buy an investment property that was increasingly threatened by flood?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts