Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To my knowledge this is the first interactive fullscreen panorama which is online of the "Ledge" on 103rd floor of Sears (Willis) tower in Chicago. The pictures for that were taken last Monday handheld by Jeffrey Martin ( tripod and such alike are not allowed) and processed by me on Wednesday.

With this interactive panorama you can feel almost to be there while panning around and up and down by dragging with your mouse or using the provided onscreen controls. Try also to zoom out to get even a wider view. Don't forget to read the funny text beneath the panorama ( scroll down ).... and keep your breath.....

Seeing it in Full Screen ( button on panorama) makes the illusion perfect.:banana:

http://www.360cities.net/image/sears-tower-skydeck-window-chicago

·
Registered
272 Posts
Very nice, thanks for your work, and the link ;)

Since Im not planning on going up there for a while, this is the next best thing

edit: just did it in fullscreen, and holey moley (!), awesome job!! Feels like you are right there!

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I know...I saw the line wrap around the block a few weekends ago. I've never seen it like that, I wonder how long the wait was. Poor tourists.

·
Registered
18 Posts
First of all, how can a window be 'out of order'? Secondly, I love the older girl/woman crawling out there, while the two little kids aren't phased by it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I work at the Skydeck and to answer the queries above:

Firstly, the waits in line are crazy. I don't understand why people wait that long. When we open at 9, there are no waits (or very little as sometimes a line forms outside) and you can take a ton of time on the ledge.

Secondly, that last ledge is not out of order. A rubber seal on it was improperly installed which made the glass crack (two days before the ledge opened). I was there when it happened and the glass cracked a tiny bit so the engineers pulled in the ledge and load tested it. The glass stayed in place, but it broke in many places (like a web-typical shattered glass). They have retracted in the ledge, but have not as of yet fixed it. I am not sure why. The replacement glass was ordered and delivered but they haven't installed it. I talked to the guy that had the contract for the rubber in the ledges and he told me that the contractor messed up. Outside of this mistake, he said that the other ones looked good. One he said (the first one) was kinda crappy, the second one (going south) was unknown, and the third one was really well done. Obviously the ledges will hold and work, but he was talking about the ledges being perfectly square. So, long story short, the ledge is not being "cleaned" as we are told to say, but is undergoing technical difficulties.

Thirdly, I've walked people back out onto the ledge all the time. It's a lot of fun and the people appreciate my efforts.

Fourthly, this panorama is awesome. Truly is just like being there. And you made it from only four photos? Nice work.

·
visit the world
8,143 Posts
Since i am coming to Chicago on the 30th of august and staying there on de 31/31 august and 1/2/6/7/11/12 september I am defintly going to visit it. but since i read the lines are pretty long its maybe still an idea on getting tickets online?

thosr views and feelings are going to be so COOL!! :cool: Can't wait standig on that glass!!! Yeah :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts