Owner: 222 Dexter Ave N LLC & Gemdale USA Corp
Architect & Landscape Architect: Hewitt
Height: 340.3 feet (103.7 m)
Floors: 30
Units: 324 apartment units, including 10 three-bedroom units
Parking: 126 stalls on 3 underground levels
LEED: Seeking GOLD certification
Project Number: 3033344

Project Design:Credit to Hewitt for the elevation diagrams and renderings.

West Elevation:

South Elevation:

Renderings:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pretty! I give them credit for "envisioning" a fun looking building. But I'm sure by the time we're done with the review process it will be a dark gray rectangle, because the wavy design doesn't "fit into the surrounding neighborhood" or is "distracting" or some nonsense LOL.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Pretty! I give them credit for "envisioning" a fun looking building. But I'm sure by the time we're done with the review process it will be a dark gray rectangle, because the wavy design doesn't "fit into the surrounding neighborhood" or is "distracting" or some nonsense LOL.
Seattleization. We have to make everything boring. For some reason or other.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm just happy it's not another slab-sided box! Reminds me a little of Sir Norman Foster's New York Times Tower in Midtown Manhattan.

·
Journeyman
15,900 Posts
The design comments on SSC tend to be less about the nuance of design (what the DR process is for) and more about stuff affected by land use code, City fees, and so on. I'm referring to flat tops, massing, and the general cost/risk/benefit equation which related to points like facade treatments.

If you want change, start at the political and planning level.

·
(none)
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2/19/2020 Recommendation Meeting: Approved

222 Dexter Ave N
The West Design Review Board strongly supported the design + the revisions since EDG 1 and moved the project forward to the MUP process. In particular, the projects' pedestrian-oriented landscaping and the choice of materials + design of the podium were very well received. Additionally, all three departures requested at this meeting got approved.

Public Comment: There were no verbal comments at the meeting, but Compass Housing Alliance provided a written letter in support of the project's design. Also, the SDCI planner reached out to Seattle Parks & Recreation and SDOT for their comments on 222 Dexter Ave N, but neither department had anything much to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts