SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

Any word on who the hotel operator will be? When is the planned start date?

Is there room for both this project and 2nd & Pike which is another similaly sized hotel/condo hybrid.

8th & Pine also fits the same mold but that project appears to be a little further along with a planned fall start and preview events coming up next month.

·
Journeyman
16,439 Posts
Ooh, I'm getting more excited about 5th & Stewart! That area is going to be awesome in a few years.

The DR person's comment is hugely discouraging. She fears "retro"? It's INFURIATING that the DR Board cares more about architectural-academic bullshit more than what the general public actually likes. "Retro" would be a hell of a lot better than most of what's built.

Speaking of bullshit, who gives a flying **** about "exterior expression of interior use"?! Only architects. That's a euphamism for ungraceful, compartmentalized designs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didn't ask the developer about the hotel operator and he didn't offer anything about it.

He was cagey about whether it was going to be built in this cycle or the next. He works for a privately-held investment bank, so I wonder if he's just financing in-house... it would offer incredible flexibility.

Thanks for reading... :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG Im in love! That is going to be so cool at 550' in tht area. Thats going to be great for the skyline. It could be the best thing to hit our skyline since City Center :dunno:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the info SeattleRising. Like the blog too :)

Did I read that right? External, glass elevators facing 5th? That would be quite awesome indeed - and something totally unique for Seattle. I say, bring it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Damn that is a nice looking tower. I was hoping for this NOT to get built since I bought on the east side of Escala, but now that I've seen this, well... it's hard to dislike such a unique looking building. It may actually improve the view since it looks better than the Westin towers.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I like how the lady said the tower could become "retro" when this will be right next door to the Westin towers which are the definition of "retro" in this city

·
Journeyman
16,439 Posts
If you live at Escala, this will improve your neighborhood. I can't fathom rooting against it for that reason.

My comment about "retro" was assuming it meant "classic" or "traditional". That's what the public likes and architects hate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm all for it since it looks great I don't think it will impact my view. But for the south/southeast corner (where I had another unit reserved initially), it's going to feel reeeal close. I asked about this project awhile ago and was told by an Escala rep that this project has to be built at least 60' from any part of Escala. Closer than I'd want it to my window.

·
Journeyman
16,439 Posts
For me, 60' sounds pretty good. I'm currently about 30' from the other tower at Ellington, and in 2008 I'll be about 26' from the neighboring building at Gallery, across the alley (they don't have balconies, so it might be quieter!). Back when I was in second position for a unit at Escala, I was 60' from the hotel across Virginia.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
OK (continuing from the prior thread), there's something wrong here. The photo leading this thread is of a vacant parking lot where I though this was going. The model shows it backing up against Escala which would be on the other side of Stewart.

If so, this would be the demise of one of my favorite restaurants - Icon Grill. A true tragedy if so. Makes more sense to fill the vacant parking lot so hopefully someone screwed up.

·
10,284 Posts
OK (continuing from the prior thread), there's something wrong here. The photo leading this thread is of a vacant parking lot where I though this was going. The model shows it backing up against Escala which would be on the other side of Stewart.

If so, this would be the demise of one of my favorite restaurants - Icon Grill. A true tragedy if so. Makes more sense to fill the vacant parking lot so hopefully someone screwed up.
Maybe the grill will relocate in the new building. :)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Jim, you've misread the model. 5th & Stewart IS going into the vacant lot, and Icon Grill (a favorite of mine too) will remain. See this photo here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/seattleplans/19035thAve/photo#5075739042931415122

The short building closest to the camera in the middle is Icon.
This model confused me completely. Each picture it changed the way of model look and location that got me really confused. Can you or anyone please explain a bit more about it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
From the various photos of the model, it is going right on the parking lot that is shown in the photo at the beginning of the thread.

Perhaps an aerial view will help you visualize if you can't from the models alone:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?...t=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702442&encType=1

It will be built on parking lot with the trees. Icon is up to the north at the corner of 5th and Virginia. Escala is being built on the other parking lot, where the cranes are in the aerial, as well as the lowrise building that was torn down.

Hit Microsoft's birds eye view (on the left) and it will be even easier to identify.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts