1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Downtown Seattle

Looking NNW:

Looking W:

Waterfront along Elliott Bay. Can't wait for the viaduct to go! Ferries to Bainbridge Island & Bremerton; passenger only ferries to West Seattle, Vashon Island, & Victoria, BC::

More waterfront:

Looking to the NW:

Looking W:

Looking SE:

Looking S. The South Lake Union area between downtown & Lake Union is being redeveloped. It is becoming a leading biotech center & the mayor is pushing to increase density in the area.

Elliott Bay:

Seattle's retail district. Follow the monorail to Westlake Center (urban mall). To its left is the flagship Nordstrom store & HQs & to the left of that is Pacific Place (upscale urban mall). Macy's is to the right of Westlake Center.

Seattle Center. Home to the Space Needle, Key Arena (home of the NBA SuperSonics & WNBA Storm), Experience Music Project, Pacific Science Center, Opera House, & more.

Seattle Neighborhoods

Ballard, Ballard Locks, & Lake Washington Ship Canal:

West Seattle & Alki Beach:

Queen Anne Hill:

Madison Park:

South Lake Union:

Capitol Hill, South Lake Union, & Downtown:

Green Lake, Woodland Park Zoo:

University District, University of Washington:

Northgate:

Beacon Hill:

Rainier Beach, Rainier Valley:

Port & Industrial land:

Boeing Field:

Surrounding Suburbs

Mercer Island:

Bellevue:

Redmond:

Microsoft HQs:

Issaquah:

Kirkland:

Newcastle:

Renton:

Bainbridge Island:

·
Journeyman
16,804 Posts
Damn fine post.

I had an interesting view flying in yesterday. Lots of construction! For example, Downtown Mercer Island is crawling with six-story woodframe housing projects with retail at sidewalk level.

I'm trying to avoid my classic forum response of pointing out what's broken ground since each picture was taken!

But really, coming back into town has reminded me that we're in a boom period again.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Great pictures, I love that freeway that goes underground for a couple of meters and then re appears. You guys should really get ride of that ugly double deck highway in the waterfront as soon as possible. I've heard about a plan to put it underground, any new info on that?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ I read an article a few months ago on the growth in Mercer Island. The added housing was desperately needed as teachers & other middle class professionals were being priced away from the island.

Most of the pics I posted are from 2004 but some are pretty recent from 2005; check out Lincoln Square in Bellevue. I posted some newer Bellevue aerials the other day in the Bellevue construction thread: Bellevue thread (new pics on page 2 of thread)

^^ Money for a new viaduct was allocated this past legislative session. However nothing has been designed or approved yet & I think the voters are going to toss the recent gas tax hike via citizen's iniative this fall.

Eventually I expect funding to be secured for a cut & cover tunnel. The current transportation package is not economical enough as way too much money is being allocated for studies, planning, environmental review, prevailing union wages, union kickbacks, etc & a disapointing % is going to actual road construction.

When Governor Rossi takes over next session, hopefully we can clean up DOT & the mess 20 years of one party rule has had on our transportation system & bureacracy. The truth is the state already takes enough revenue for new transportation construction but we are terribly inefficient & wasteful with our spending practices.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Totally awesome. The Seattle area is as beautiful in the air as it is on the ground. I saw where I live at 23rd and Madison. The Alaska Way Viaduct is absolutely hideous. I didn't realize how ugly it is. If and when we get rid of that thing downtown and the waterfront together will be awesome.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few more:

(2003) Seattle's famous Pike Place Market is the long goldish building above the viaduct on the left side of pic:

(2000) Convention Center built over freeway:

(2000) Better pic of Seattle Center:

(2000) Mt. Rainier & lots of cranes:

(2000) Financial / Government center:

(2002)

(2002)

(2002)

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
I've always dug those aerolist photos...it's going to be interesting to see some new ones in a few years once the denny triangle fills in with new towers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Great photos! Seattle certainly is spectacular.

Sounder said:
When Governor Rossi takes over next session..
Rossi can go screw himself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can't wait for those parking lots on SLU and Denny triangle to be filled in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cool images!

Excuse me for a lame question, but where is Frasier's appartment supposed to be??

With best regards

/Alcoolio

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Frasier's condo was set in the Belltown / Lower Queen Anne area however the backdrop used for his view is from the top of Queen Anne Hill. The area around the Seattle Center in towards downtown semi-along the water is the area Frasier's creators/writers intended for the location of his home & coffee shop. To see a similar view as the Frasier set backdrop, go to Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts