SkyscraperCity banner

301 - 320 of 359 Posts

·
Je suis tout à vous
16,419 Posts
They just don’t want anything taller near by them. It’s just nonsense! I’m glad the city finally approved this tower! It’s a great addition for the area!

·
Registered
262 Posts
It looks like it's a fair amount of work, but "Dock Master" is definitely a fun job title.
I had the honor of filling this (somewhat unofficial), position in my years at Century Square. I was affectionately known as the "dock nazi", due to my fiendishly twisted love of hooking up 55 gallon impound barrels to bitchy couriers' vehicles. It cost them $35 cash only to get it unhooked and failing that the tow truck was on it's way. We even had a raging wanker drive up and out onto Pike with the barrel still attached to his car, SPD quickly solved that hilarity and we made him buy us a new barrel. Lots of weirdness and I can't even begin to imagine what a Dock Master has to put up with in this day and age.

·
Journeyman
16,081 Posts
These just aren't good people. I mean that seriously...this is a selfish obsession, and screw everybody else. I won't play the "rich people" card because there are a lot of good rich people.

·
Registered
167 Posts
These just aren't good people. I mean that seriously...this is a selfish obsession, and screw everybody else. I won't play the "rich people" card because there are a lot of good rich people.
Right, it's not a rich/poor thing. Of COURSE it's understandable they want to protect their views. I get it. But after THIS much (mostly) phony appeal/complaints, is it not proper for the city to start to consider this "home owners group" to be a harassment party? They're clearly just throwing paper at EVERY development that's NEAR their building. I don't understand why they aren't being sued by the other developers for harassment. If they had one or two valid concerns, fine. But just blocking EVERYTHING that is planned to be built near you? This is a CITY. EVERYTHING is near or on the same block as something else. Just look at the Seattle House/Clise buildings. This isn't Des Moines Iowa, it's not one tall building per block. EVERY building that's put up now is blocking SOMEONE's view or block someone's light, or adding more traffic. If that's the standard, then we simply have to stop building EVERYTHING and just not grow anymore.

I mean that silly "light study" is the funniest thing I've ever heard. WHERE in any Federal, State or City law is there any "right" to a specific amount of direct sunlight? How was that not laughed out of court? Seriously. We HAVE "garden" level apartments, and there are many apartments which have been "blocked in". Tower 801 (Pine St) used to stand away from everything, but when the built the previous convention center expansion, the south side of Tower 801 now faces a blank concrete wall...much darker, no views. Did they get a chance to sue for a "light study"? Seriously, how is this a "thing"?

·
Registered
58 Posts
At this point I would totally be in favor of tearing down Escala and building something taller in it's place. It's a cool looking building, but wow how can a single building block so many really cool projects right in what is debatably the heart of downtown?

Seattle could be so much farther along, and probably be the biggest downtown on the west coast if it's residents and government were more pro-development.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Im going to sue the hell out of the city of Seattle if these Escala people get their way! I bought a place in Belltown without a view because ITS BELLTOWN! It will get blocked! Even a dumb ballerina boy like me knew enough not to buy a view in that area! If the city starts protecting stupid people's views Im going to file a lawsuit for not protecting people with the slightest bit of common sense! I would have purchased a nicer place with a view had I known they would be such pushovers. :soapbox:

·
Registered
354 Posts
It’s not appalling, but does look like something that fell out of a bin at Home Depot.
With the exception of a rarity like F5, this is about as good as it gets in this town. Ugly is the new special. Look at the lineup of proposed buildings in the front page. There may be two or three that tip into the "nicer than we're used to" realm. The rest look like they were designed by the IRS.

Reactions: CityDensity

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ehh, not the IRS. You only need to look at VA buildings to see what true IRS level buildings would be.
All of these proposals are mediocre, IMO. Great additions to the bulk of the city.
Like how Vancouver's got hundreds of very similar towers that on their own are basically designed by market dynamics and zoning laws, not great. But as a background for a few great buildings (in particular I'd say the latest BIG creation, or a couple of the taller buildings) it's perfect. The same way NYC is thousands of generic buildings with a few outstanding ones (and a few *cough panam/metlife* that should just be torn down).
Same goes for Hong Kong or Tokyo or London or anywhere, you can't have an entire city of icons, it would just look gaudy and garrish. Not to mention uneconomical. You get a bunch of buildings that are 'meh' and every once in a while an icon.
We really could use an icon supertall... Come on Martin Selig! Make another great impact on the skyline with all your leftover money and retire! lol)

301 - 320 of 359 Posts