SkyscraperCity banner

321 - 340 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ehh, not the IRS. You only need to look at VA buildings to see what true IRS level buildings would be.
All of these proposals are mediocre, IMO. Great additions to the bulk of the city.
Like how Vancouver's got hundreds of very similar towers that on their own are basically designed by market dynamics and zoning laws, not great. But as a background for a few great buildings (in particular I'd say the latest BIG creation, or a couple of the taller buildings) it's perfect. The same way NYC is thousands of generic buildings with a few outstanding ones (and a few *cough panam/metlife* that should just be torn down).
Same goes for Hong Kong or Tokyo or London or anywhere, you can't have an entire city of icons, it would just look gaudy and garrish. Not to mention uneconomical. You get a bunch of buildings that are 'meh' and every once in a while an icon.
We really could use an icon supertall... Come on Martin Selig! Make another great impact on the skyline with all your leftover money and retire! lol)
I get that. But NYC already has plenty of icons and more going up so the generics are gladly accepted there. All we see here is almost exclusively generic density and zero new icons but I get the challenges and reasons why. The beating of the dead horse goes on. Its a fun horse to beat....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ehh, not the IRS. You only need to look at VA buildings to see what true IRS level buildings would be.

Not the best example. VA Puget Sound has done an admiral job on the new parking garage and treatment facilities. Then there is that former VA hospital at the north end of Beacon Hill, an iconic Deco delight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
True true, I really like the newer VA facilities. The new one on Beacon Hill is really nice. I meant more the older white clad windowless blocks that a number of cities have.
It's mostly that people figured out that quality of space matters quite a lot for patient care, so hospitals everywhere have stepped up their game!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
All I know is that I used the Appellant"s (Escala) Legal Counsel in a land use dispute and the firm was very effective. Let's hope they are less so in this instance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Anyone care enough to follow the case? Pre-hearing conference was today and the volume is so low I can't hear a thing...

https://web6.seattle.gov/Examiner/case/MUP-19-031
It was basically all scheduling. TL;DR the hearing will be January 28th-31st.

The hearing adjudicator was initially confused about which appeal from Escala this was, because they've been appealing multiple projects in the area.

The developer’s lawyer tried to bound/clarify elements of appeal, figure out if specific errors in the decision were being appealed, Escala asked for more time to respond to the request for clarification, November 12th.

City will file a pre-hearing motion on November 25th, but not a summary judgment motion. Other parties still reserve the right to file pre-hearing motions, they must be in by Nov 25th

Responses to pre-hearing motions due by December 5th

Replies to responses by Dec 11th

The city will provide an interpretation of some bit of code on Jan 7th

Exhibits for the hearing due by Jan 14th

Responses by Jan 21st

Escala will have 4-5 witnesses, tens of documents. Two experts, and some lay witnesses. City will call 4-5 witnesses, city staff.

Hearing will be January 28th-31st.

·
Annman
6,928 Posts
^^ It's everywhere. Did you see the guy in the roads thread claiming $30 car tabs are fair, because what about car collectors, they shouldn't be burdened by a tax.

Unchecked Privilege is an offence that should be punishable by having all your assets and monies given to charity.

I grew up very privileged and in many respects, blind to it. I've learned from being over-spoiled and under-resourced. I learned the hard way, what it's like to have it way too easy, then to have it so damn tough.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, it looks like the hearing examiner did not rule as the Escala HOA wished, but they're claiming that the ruling was too broad, and want, of course, to appeal further.

https://web6.seattle.gov/Examiner/case/document/14005

The Examiner concluded that the City demonstrated that the traffic and parking impacts that were presented in the appeal in this matter are expressly mitigated by provisions in the City of Seattle Municipal Code. The Examiner’s conclusion was based on code provisions that were identified in Hearing Examiner Exhibit 5, titled “City Codes that Expressly Mitigate Transportation Impacts.”
The full gore is at https://web6.seattle.gov/Examiner/case/MUP-19-031

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Well, it looks like the hearing examiner did not rule as the Escala HOA wished, but they're claiming that the ruling was too broad, and want, of course, to appeal further.

https://web6.seattle.gov/Examiner/case/document/14005

The full gore is at https://web6.seattle.gov/Examiner/case/MUP-19-031
They had 4 days of oral arguments. Appeal will likely be denied.

Can they just run out of money already? I can't imagine their legal bills not topping 6 figures by now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe their attorney is an Escala resident!
I am shocked the surrounding proposed developers haven't sued the Escala board/ for 10s of millions for using frivolous complaints and appeals to try to stop development they "don't like". This has gotten to be such a cartoonish joke, as some point the Escala board should be punished for this abusing the Seattle development process just to protect their homeowners views.

321 - 340 of 359 Posts