SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The word "downtown" is a nonexistent phrase we throw around to describe a place of major human activities. In the American sense, this usually involves dense, tall buildings and pay meters for parking.

As far as tourists and nonresidents are concerned, the Space Needle is in downtown Seattle. They really have no reason to think otherwise besides some local shouting "that's not downtown, that's lower Queen Anne, you knave! :nuts:"

·
Build high Seattle!
273 Posts
That really is a great location for hotels and condos: it's right where 3 major neighborhoods meet - downtown, belltown and the denny triangle; it's just a couple blocks from Westlake center; it's just a couple blocks from the end of SLUT, the monorail, and a major Link station; right next door to a couple Tom Douglas restaurants; just a few blocks from Amazon; only 5 blocks from the Market. This is where tourists want to be. It increasingly feels like New York City, but with easy access to the big Seattle landmarks.

lol thanks shotsy for providing the fuel for this looooong unnecessarily drawn out, meaningless, not relating to the 500' tall tower, discussion about neighborhood boundaries.............

·
Registered
123 Posts
The word "downtown" is a nonexistent phrase we throw around to describe a place of major human activities. In the American sense, this usually involves dense, tall buildings and pay meters for parking.

As far as tourists and nonresidents are concerned, the Space Needle is in downtown Seattle. They really have no reason to think otherwise besides some local shouting "that's not downtown, that's lower Queen Anne, you knave! :nuts:"
the word downtown comes from New York and is equally subjective there. If I'm on 145th st, just about everything is 'downtown' to me.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
the word downtown comes from New York and is equally subjective there. If I'm on 145th st, just about everything is 'downtown' to me.

That's when downtown is being used as a preposition, referring specifically to direction of movement. In recent decades it has acquired the connotation of a location in and of itself, usually a city centre or central business district, and so it can be capitalised.

41 - 60 of 359 Posts