SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Unregistered non-user
2,104 Posts
And another one I haven't seen a thread for, unless I missed it.

Seriously, this is getting to the point where it's like NY or Chicago where there's not much point in trying to keep track of every project, because there's just too many of them. :nuts:
Which is awesome. But this sub has several mods who haven't been on in years. Oughtn't they be replaced?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The renderings for this one make it look so lonely... Even with all the development between Stewart and Howell, those blocks between Boren and Virginia really need to be developed. There's Children's Hospital's vague long-term plan for a building on the block between Terry and Boren, and then that plan for the block at Denny that was one of the first proposals after the recession but that I haven't heard a peep from since. Has anything ever been mentioned for the block between them?

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Children's plans aren't quite as vague as you'd think, they are just unpublicized. Their plan has always been to maximize what they can do out at Laurelhurst before they started to develop their properties in the Denny Triangle. The building that they leased to Amazon for 10 years indicates to me that they still have time to fully digest what they've built out at Laurelhurst.

If I were on their board, I would consider selling their properties in Denny Triangle and do what I could to get the Amgen property along the waterfront.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have to say, I love being back in Portland knowing if I need a big city feel, I just have to run up to Seattle to visit and see how much the city has changed and grown since the last time I was there.

Love seeing all these new projects going up, too many to keep track of is a good problem to have.

·
Correspondent
8,274 Posts
From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12071481.html

November 3, 2014

Touchstone pays $17M for Boren site
By JOURNAL STAFF

SEATTLE — An entity related to Touchstone Corp. paid $16.6 million for a half block at 1812 Boren Ave. where it is planning an 11-story office building and 36-story residential tower called Tilt 49.

Property records show Diamond Parking Services and an entity related to the trust of Virgil J. Pague are the sellers.

ZGF Architects is designing Tilt 49 and Swift Co. is the landscape architect.

Touchstone is building a 14-story hotel and 11-story office tower called Hill7 across the street from the Tilt 49 site at 1821 Boren Ave.

·
Registered
743 Posts
To start next year! Per psbj.

Douglas Howe, the head of real estate development company Touchstone, on Wednesday said he plans to start construction next year on Tilt49, a large residential and office project in the Denny Triangle area of downtown Seattle.

Tilt49 will go up on a half block on the east side of Boren Avenue between Stewart and Howell streets, where a Goodyear store operates next to a surface parking lot. Construction of the project, which includes a 40-story apartment tower and an 11-story office building, is expected to start in the second quarter.

Tilt49 is across Boren from a Touchstone hotel/office project, Hill7, which is nearing completion.

Howe would not say whether any of the Tilt49 or Hill7 office space has been leased, but added that leasing has been going well for his company's projects.

Also in Seattle, Touchstone is building the Troy Block, an 817,000-square-foot development in South Lake Union, and NorthEdge, a 210,000-square-foot lab/office project by Gas Works Park in the Fremont/Wallingford area. The value of these developments, along with a Marriott Courtyard in downtown Everett, is a little more than $1 billion.

The Tilt49 project name dates back to Seattle's pioneer days and the city's confusing street grids. Pioneers Doc Maynard and Arthur Denny, who didn't much care for each other, and Carson Boren went off on their own in laying out the town. The result is that the Denny Triangle is at a 49 degree angle to true north.
ZGF Architects and landscape architecture company Swift are designing Tilt49. Mortenson is the general contractor.

·
11,191 Posts
It ended up making our city so much more interesting than a New Yaak-style grid.
I fully agree.

One of the things I love about Boston, or just about any European city, is how chaotic the street system is. It makes it harder to find your way from Point A to Point B, but it makes it ever so much more interesting to wander around. One of the most enjoyable features of Seattle in my humble (but perhaps not all that shared) opinion is the relative chaos where the three primary street grids clash with one another.

Manhattan's grid, above 14th St., is pretty boring, particularly with the mostly numbered streets and avenues.

A random thought while I'm on the topic: it's often struck me that Market St. in San Francisco is a lot like Denny in that it's the border between two grids, oriented more or less 45 deg to one another. If only Denny could have the pizzaz of Market! Maybe some day...

·
11,191 Posts
Street-layout preference survey

OK, here's a survey for everyone:

Basing your answer only on the issue of street layout, would you prefer a city that...

Has a perfectly organized street grid (e.g., La Plata, Argentina)

Is completely chaotic (e.g., London)

Is somewhere in between (e.g., Brooklyn)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I like the odd intersections of Seattle's multiple grids, Lower Manhattan's relatively narrow, rambling streets and the chaos of any "old city."

On.The.Other.Hand

I always appreciated the efficiency of Upper Manhattan's grid, which let me know how far I had to walk and how long it was going to take.

So, I guess I'd prefer to visit the chaotic schemes, and live in the well-organized ones.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Tilt49 will go up on a half block on the east side of Boren Avenue between Stewart and Howell streets, where a Goodyear store operates next to a surface parking lot. Construction of the project, which includes a 40-story apartment tower and an 11-story office building, is expected to start in the second quarter.
So, is it now 40 stories, not 36? And I guess it won't be Touchstone developing it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2014/12/blockbuster-1-billion-seattle-real-estate-deal-urg.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+vertical_50+(Commercial+Real+Estate+Industry+News)

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
"Urban Renaissance Group, a leading real-estate-investment manager, acquired Touchstone, one of the market’s top commercial developers. The deal allows Touchstone’s three partners — all of whom are in their 60s — to step back from daily operations, while Touchstone will continue as an Urban subsidiary."

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2025258196_developersmergerxml.html

Touchstone isnt going anywhere- just under new management.

1 - 20 of 348 Posts