SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2681 - 2700 of 2735 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011510660_sundaybuzz04.html this was from a few days ago but I didn't see it here. So after a year, not one condo at the Thornton Place development near Northgate has sold, partly due to the recession and partly due to settling of a lot of the units. However, 94% of the apartments are leased! And while just a quarter of retail space is leased, that retail is doing really well. Also, I have noticed the movie theater is doing very well, so maybe with all the extra people around there, more retailers will be convinced to open at Thornton Place.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Those should be apartments. It's not exactly a 'pretty' area, and while it'd be kind of fun to eat 5 Guys and watch movies all the time, I'm not sure the type of people with the type of income to commit to a purchase would want that. But I think for someone young making a decent enough income, that location right next to the transit center is appealing for the commute. And especially if they offer those new apartments at price points that look very competitive with the high prices for older units in Ballard or Roosevelt.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Yeah the area around isn't very nice because of the acres of parking lots, but once you're inside the confines of the development, it's super nice. The daylighted creek and pedestrian mews throughout the project are cool. The lot between it and the transit center is a park and ride lot owned by Metro, but they have a long-term plan for TOD there, probably to be built around when the Link station will open there. I saw a plan of the Northgate Station that implies that they could have a direct skybridge from whatever development would be there to the station mezzanine/platform.
Also, that parking lot at 5th & 103rd that's down a little cliff from the rest of the Northgate parking lots and I think is only used during the holidays should be developed into something mixed-use.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Also, this is craziness straight from SLOG.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/ar...5-story-building-in-belltown-to-be-demolished

The McGuire Apartments, a 25-story building at 2nd Avenue and Wall Street that was completed only nine years ago, must be vacated by the end of the year and demolished due to irreparable safety problems:

New 25-Story Building in Belltown to Be Demolished

The building owner has informed officials at the Seattle Department of Planning and Development (DPD) of the extensive construction defects, which principally involve corrosion of post-tensioned cables and concrete material and reinforcement placement deficiencies. The post-tensioned cables are corroding because the ends of the cables were not properly protected with corrosion preventative paint, and the grout used to seal the cable ends and anchors was not the specified non-shrink grout and was defectively installed. As a result, water leaked into these areas and caused the cable ends to rust, and then corrode. In addition, reinforcement placement in the building's exterior frame is defective, resulting in cracking and spalling of concrete, as well as structural impairment.

·
honk!!!
2,886 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. It's not a spectacular building, but it's definitely some decent density. Looking at it on Bird's Eye, it appears to have a nice base...

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
It looks like the garage on the north side of the McGuire was part of the development ( http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?org=aj#/zyzy7xjlrg6nboqt ) and I'd expect it has to come down to - if not for structural reasons then for logical reasons like utilities or elevator access to the homes on top of the garage. Can anyone confirm this?

Half a block is a good-sized site. I guess the good thing is that some of these people can help fill some other buildings but they'll be gun-shy to buy in a concrete or post-tensioned concrete building after this experience. The contractor, McCarthy, left the Seattle market a few years ago but the architect Hewitt is still around. How about who was the special inspector or structural engineer? Any ideas as to what statute of limitations timeline applies to this kind of construction defect case? Seems like it would be tough get much compensation if the building was finished in 2001 but maybe the defects have been documented for several years and now they've just realized - after many months of scaffolding - that it's just not feasible to make corrections.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
Damn, I was able to watch this building being built from my bedroom window when I lived in Belltown.

There are going to be lawsuits galore on this one. I wonder which attorney is going to be the first to name his new yacht "The McGuire"?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I wonder how they'll bring it down - implosion? Last time I saw that in Seattle was the old apartment building where now Niketown sits. Doesn't seem to be the chosen method, yet something this tall, I can't imagine any other way. Seasun? Comments?

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
I've been thinking of the "how are they going to do this?" question too. I'm thinking demolition robots might be the way to go after all the "soft demo" is completed. I don't know much about demo robots (someone can google) but it seems like the repetition and serious heights/safety concerns might make robots economically viable. They could grab onto columns to brace themselves for slab or column cutting. Mini dozer robots could shove debris into the elevator shafts. I don't see implosion being used but maybe I'm wrong about that. I guess one question is if that implosion is viable it would be one big messy day or week for the neighborhood versus months of concrete saw-cutting and jackhammering.

Any bets on when demo would begin? I'm guessing 1 to 2 years from now but what a mess.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ I think they will demolish floor to floor just like one building (Deschutes Building I think) in New York City next to Ground Zero. I'd love to see implosion in person but I don't think it is good idea for them to do that. That could destroy some low rise buildings next to The McGuire Apartments and not safe for many residents who live in Belltown to breathe dusts from the implosion. I bet they might demolish that building by end of the year or early next year since they asked all tenants to move out by the end of the year plus they offer money to move out by May 15.

More information about this building.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011585964_apartments12m.html

2681 - 2700 of 2735 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.