SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2721 - 2735 of 2735 Posts

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
^^That is the primary reason why it has to pass away so young. Just make the repairs no matter how expensive they are, and the building's life can be saved.

·
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,723 ·
^
Jim, you might want to read the article Crazy posted a while ago. The repairs to the building would cost more than it did to construct it. They built it for $32 million, but the repairs would cost $85 million. Plus there's no guarantee the repairs would work, given the extent of the building's problems.
^^ I think they will demolish floor to floor just like one building (Deschutes Building I think) in New York City next to Ground Zero. I'd love to see implosion in person but I don't think it is good idea for them to do that. That could destroy some low rise buildings next to The McGuire Apartments and not safe for many residents who live in Belltown to breathe dusts from the implosion. I bet they might demolish that building by end of the year or early next year since they asked all tenants to move out by the end of the year plus they offer money to move out by May 15.

More information about this building.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011585964_apartments12m.html

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
The major stair rebuild at the Market is getting close to being done and it's looking good. Looks like it could be re-opened by the start of summer - July 12? pics taken an hour or so ago.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Yeah I don't see why it would even take until early/mid July for that to open. Looks to me like it could be ready in a couple weeks. What's left to do?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Any updates on the skating rink in Occidental Park? (=
That is going to be a great way of making the area inviting to more people than just drug addicts and drunkards. Now maybe if they can get that big housing development underway on the north lot of the old Kingdome . . . .

·
Black Box
1,745 Posts
That looks so much better. Speaking of markets, Seattle now has 18 farmers markets, 2 weekly markets downtown (City Hall Plaza and now Belltown). Seattle Magazine has a cool write up on it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
There's a City Hall Plaza market? I didn't even know. And there's one in the Chinatown/International District market too, right? Or maybe there isn't one, I don't remember.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Both of the remaining tower cranes at the Amazon campus are coming down (one yesterday and one today). Correct my count but here are the only tower cranes in Seattle right now - largely based on a driving tour I just did:

U-District:
1 at the Molecular Engineering Building (do we have this camera on the webcam page?)
1 at the UW Hospital expansion
1 at a UW housing project

West Seattle:
1 at the "Link" project

Rainier Valley:
1 at a 6-story, 58 unit housing project at Rainier Ave S. and S. Walden St.

South Lake Union:
1 crane still up at the Gates Foundation

First Hill:
1 mini fast/self-erect crane on top of the Virginia Mason expansion (scraping the bottom of the crane barrel here but still kind of a tower crane!)

So a total of 7 tower cranes? a couple of which are pretty tiny.

2721 - 2735 of 2735 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.