SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Seattle Development News Thread

40606 Views 495 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  jmancuso
OK, post Seattle stuff here. For the whole Puget Sound region.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
www.live2200.com

The Cosmopolitan

The Braeburn
www.thebraeburn.com

2201 Westlake

Construction Start: Fall 2005
Occupancy: Fall 2007

Mixed-use development in the center of Seattle's new urban center
100 residential units
302,200 SF of sustainable, productive office space
14,000 SF of ground floor retail including a restaurant
3,000 SF exercise facility for Tenant use
Proposed Streetcar stop directly in front of building

http://www.hotel1000seattle.com/features-architecture.html

Of course there is the WaMu Tower

www.cristallaseattle.com
bigger rendering on the website
Someone else take over :)
I still wish they would have released a better rendering of WaMu.
The Neptune

Colman Tower?

Westlake Plaza
8th & Westlake, Seattle

Avalon on the Square:

Bellevue:
1020 Tower

Lincoln tower from a few weeks ago:
Also:
South downtown is a complex neighborhood. It includes two world-class stadiums, an exhibition center, a highly effective waterfront, as well as eight existing and proposed transportation systems, including The The Alaskan Way Viaduct.

Greg Smith is an active member of Seattle Vision (website), a plan for real estate and economic development of South Downtown Seattle in and around Pioneer Square, prepared by major property owners in the area.

The vision identifies:

• 16 buildings in the Pioneer Square Historic District as candidates for rehabilitation
• A neighborhood embracing the two stadiums
• 12,000 multi-family housing units, and an elementary school
• Over 4,000,000 square feet of commercial space for retail, office and institutional use
• 15 acres of public open space
• A major flagship hotel on Pier 48

http://www.seattlevision.org/home.html

Second & Pine

http://www.gbsre.com/properties/individualPDF.php?ID=8&pic=1080245825
http://factory.oxblue.com/client/wamu-sam/

Olympic Sculpture Park

Olympic Sculpture Park will feature a 2,200-foot-long, Z-shaped path.
^I agree. I think there are more of them in the pipeline. :)
^I think more developers should follow the concept of integrating the original facade with the new structure.
This thread isn't only for Skyscrapers is it? :D
It's tough to see buildings that look different eh? :) IMO, some of these are better looking the Vanvouver's. Like jiggawhat said, they're all starting to look the same...blahhh :sleepy: Like an urban subdivision. But I still like vancouver.
jer4893 said:
seattle.... blaghhh!!!! most of those buildings i didnt like. basicly only WaMu and the already built (one of my favorite buildings in the world) Bank of America Tower.
^thank you! I'm glad we're not the only ones that are starting to feel that way.
^I like the design. They could have done a better job though imo.
^I like that part. I was thinking more on the windows. I'm glad that they're going to be big windows though.
Also:
Information regarding the increase in the downtown height limits:

for more info click on the link

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Planning/center_city/index.asp
In terms of geography, jobs and density, Center City represents the core of the region. By 2024 it is projected that this area will produce 57,000 new jobs and over 24,000 new housing units. For an expanded overview of the Center City Seattle strategy, read our brochure (1MB PDF).
Much better looking!!! Not revolutionary or anything like that but nice.

Bond James Bond said:
New rendering of the WaMu tower

^that wouldn't be bad. Maybe a cool spire? :)
^I was just going to say that about the 1521 second ave tower.
2000 third I thought was canceled?

Here something new from Seattletimes.com

Nickels seeking to privatize plaza

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels wants to shrink and privatize a plaza planned for the site of the city's old Public Safety Building, located across the street from City Hall. The old Public Safety Building once housed the Police Department and Municipal Court.

Nickels seeking to privatize plaza at city building

By Jim Brunner

Seattle Times staff reporter

JOHN LOK / THE SEATTLE TIMES

The old Public Safety Building once housed the Police Department and Municipal Court. It is supposed to be demolished by this fall.

E-mail article
Search Most e-mailed
Most read
RSS
Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels wants to shrink and privatize a plaza planned for the site of the city's old Public Safety Building, located across the street from City Hall.

Nickels' preferred proposal, one of three options, would trim the size of the plaza by roughly half of what once was envisioned. The smaller size would make room for an additional, privately owned apartment building in addition to the private office tower that long has been planned for the block.

The mayor's aides said his plan would bring more money into city coffers by making the site more appealing to developers and would avoid "social problems," such as crime, that could come from opening a big, new downtown plaza.

The site is bounded by Third and Fourth avenues and James and Cherry streets.

Deputy Mayor Tim Ceis said the mayor's proposal still would retain a "significant public open space" while adding much-needed housing to downtown.

But the proposal drew opposition yesterday from some City Council members, who vowed to fight any reduction of the open space that long has been in the plans for the new Civic Center.

"It is a complete abandonment of the long-standing vision that many of many of us have worked on for many years," said Councilman Peter Steinbrueck.

Council President Jan Drago said the mayor's plan was "unacceptable" and that the council would be drafting its own alternative, which would retain public ownership of a large plaza. Both the mayor's and the council's plans for the block likely will include a new underground parking garage.

The debate comes as workers are tearing down the old Public Safety Building, which had housed the Police Department and Municipal Court since 1950 until the opening of the nearby $92 million Justice Center in 2002. Demolition is supposed to be completed by this fall. The new $76.6 million City Hall opened in 2003.

The new City Hall and Justice Center, along with the Seattle Municipal Tower (formerly Key Tower) comprise the city's massive Civic Center project, which has cost more than $260 million so far. That doesn't include whatever needs to be spent on the Public Safety Building site.

Brenda Bauer, Fleets and Facilities department director for the city, said that by turning over ownership of the new plaza to a private business, the city could avoid a crush of new expenses involved in building and maintaining the space.

Bauer also touted the benefits of creating more "eyes on the street" by building new apartments on the site. The mayor's proposal suggests a 100-unit apartment building, located on the southwest portion of the block, with retail stores at street level.

That element, Ceis said, is crucial, because consultants have told the city that with the current high office-vacancy rates downtown, attracting developers who want to build an office tower may be difficult. But plenty of developers might be enticed by the opportunity to build a new apartment building.

"We think the residential piece would make [redeveloping the block] more attractive and make it happen sooner," Ceis said.

The city already plans to encourage new downtown activity with the pending sales of the nearby Alaska and Arctic buildings, which will be converted to condominiums and a hotel, respectively. They currently provide office space for city workers. A council committee plans to consider those sales today.

Ceis said a privately owned and operated plaza could avoid some of the problems that have plagued the nearby City Hall park, a grassy area next to the King County Courthouse where homeless people hang out. Ceis said the city could still guarantee public access to the new plaza by including a "covenant" in any purchase agreement.

Drago and Steinbrueck said they intend to fight any effort to sell the public land to private businesses.

While the mayor has stated his preference, he also developed two other options for consideration by the council. One would basically eliminate the entire plaza in favor of new office and apartment developments. The other would more closely mirror the original plans for the block, building an office tower on the northern third of the site and leaving the rest for a plaza.

Drago said she hoped the council's alternative would be ready by May 14, when the city plans to celebrate the official opening of City Hall's new plaza that faces the Public Safety Building site.

Jim Brunner: 206-515-5628 or [email protected]
^why not build both and make it a taller building? :D
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.