SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 2449 Posts

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
“I think it would be better to get out in from of the office wave"

I am so tired of the epidemic of mispellings lately.

·
1,817 Posts
^My thoughts are very much the same. Was he also the one who was supposed to build a trolley station in Pioneer Square? It's all very vague, but my perception of him is the same. He's all talk and no action.
Yup, same developer. It's turned into kind of a running joke on these boards that they will never build anything, only propose "visions" hence the name Urban Visions. I understand there's more to it than just proposing a building and then breaking out the shovels but it's been frustrating because the sites they own are prime development sites. I really do hope the sites will eventually be sold to a more capable developer.

·
Registered
14,127 Posts
The height is a bummer; and I'm convinced all developers think their designs are iconic. In fact "iconic" is in a dead heat with "world-class"as most overused real estate term.
Maybe he meant to say ironic, not iconic.

·
Unregistered non-user
2,104 Posts
Well, it isn't near anything really tall except the WaMu center. It'll have to see over the Newmark Tower (268 feet), and I think a good benchmark for development in that area is Century Square, at 380 feet. If anything on that block breaks 380, I'll be happy.

·
Correspondent
8,276 Posts
From todays DJC

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12049152.html

Stadium Terrace for sale

An apartment project planned for a site across the street from Century Link Field is on the market, again.

Lakeside Capital Management wants to sell the historic Johnson Building at 589 Occidental Ave. S. The company got the ball rolling last year on Stadium Terrace, a 106-unit complex to be built on top of the 110-year-old triangular brick structure, making it a total of 12 stories tall.

Lakeside Capital applied for a master use permit in 2012 with the goal of obtaining it in the first quarter of this year, said Dylan Simon, a Colliers International broker who is marketing the building along with Dave Schumacher and David Mortensen. The property is being offered without an asking price, Simon said.

Laura Bachman of Lakeside Capital said the company put the building up for sale last year without a development plan, but it drew little interest.

“Potential buyers had a hard time trying to envision what could be built on the site,” she said. “We decided to initiate the permitting and design process to help answer the most difficult questions.”

The building's triangular shape presents problems for developers, Bachman said. The structure also sits above a high water table, making it impossible to build underground. The plan calls for 88 parking stalls on the middle levels of the building, above the retail. Bachman said there is space for two restaurants.

The top floors will be apartments and a rooftop terrace.

The units will average 680 square feet, and there are five 2,000-square-foot “penthouses,” with corner locations and views of the water and stadium.

Simon said the area's future is one of the main draws. The project could be completed in 2016, the same year the Alaskan Viaduct is expected to come down.

A pedestrian pathway along Railroad Way South is planned as part of the waterfront redesign, and it would lead right to the front door of the building, giving residents easy access to the waterfront.

“The timing is perfect,” Simon said. “You are building toward that end point.”

Lakeside got the building after a series of proposals fell through.

In 2006, Historic Seattle and Nitze-Stagen and Co. planned to build 69 loft-style condos above restaurants and retail.

The property was next taken by the development company Barrientos, which borrowed money from Lakeside Capital for a similar project. When that stalled during the recession, Lakeside Capital took the property back in September 2011 with a deed in lieu of foreclosure.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
It's interesting to see the ped pathway in that rendering. Reminds me of Occidental Park. Lots of space. Maybe too much unless it's put to some use.

·
Buy used books
3,187 Posts
Gee, building a bunch of condoes on top of a 110-year old brick building in a reclaimed estuary right on the Seattle fault .. what could go wrong? Okay go ahead m

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts

·
Buy used books
3,187 Posts
When it was announced, we liked the base - seemed to slenderize the tower. I wonder if this increase in the footprint makes all the floors the same size.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Also, isn't it usually the case to have more floors when thinner... Due to city codes? Allowed to go up if more light comes to the streets!? Wider... Hence shorter..

81 - 100 of 2449 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.